T Nation

Bench Press Form Critique

If this video sucks, please let me know a different angle to shoot from next week.

This is this morning's bench press final set on 5-3-1 at 290. I'm 5'7 200. I know...not very impressive, but I'm trying to get better.

And the opening frame is a finger, not a butt.

Thanks

From this angle it looks like your wrist is not in line with the forearm.

WRISTS

What should I do to improve on the wrists?

this

If your wrists are indeed not in line with the forearm, you can try:

• Bringing in your grip a little bit, maybe pinky on the ring
  • Keep the bar lower in your hand and squeeze the bar
  • In the video, right before you start turning your hands in and out the grip and the wrists seem ok

I have the same problem with my wrists and started to get pretty bad pain in my right wrist because of it. One thing I found helped me lock my wrists is trying to bend the ends of the bar towards your feet so the side of your thumbs are pushing into the bar. I can't remember where I read it but its seemed to help me so far.

Update: I focused on my wrists and arm angle. This is 305x3 and a fail. How am I doing? I think I made some progress, but not sure.

That bench is sweet. The uprights drop back after the bar is lifted off? Brilliant!

x2. I never seen a bench like that. At first I thought "dude your bench is broken!" but then it made perfect sense. Very awesome idea.

I like it, too. They just got new ones, unfortunately, that have the hooks a couple inches higher. I'm 5'7, so that gives me trouble at 275 and up.

Trying again on today's video. Firefox updated today, so maybe it's a browser issue:

I had to re-watch it, thinking "there's NO WAY he's lifting on a bench that wobbly!"

LowfatMatt is working on getting this to work, but if you want to see today's video, it's in my log. Matt posted it for me.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/jld2k3s_training_log_198_181_weight_class_power_lifting_training?pageNo=14#4402699

Thanks for the help and support!

JLD2k3's video

You didn't touch your chest on every rep. CHEATER :wink:. Wrists still seem to bend back a little bit but I think the camera angle has to do with this too. Makes it harder to judge

You're right. I was thinking about my wrists so much. I'm going to repeat this cycle on my 531 weights to get a better feel for it and definitely touch every rep. How is my arm angle? The first video I thought I had too much bend back toward my head. This one seems better, but I feel like my bar path is arced.