T Nation

Bench Press: Flat or Arch?

when bench pressing i noticed alot of people arent laying flat when posting videos, i understand this is to minimize the distance the bar needs to move(ROM),

who here flat benches?

what weight is it acceptable to start using an arch?

Considering the forum I think most of us have varying degrees of an arch to minimize the bar path distance.

They say practice every rep correctly. So while I arch every rep I do from 135 to 4xx. If I ever did the bare bar I’d arch there too.

If that is you in your avatar picture, you don’t have to worry about arching :slight_smile:

It’s not just about bringing your chest closer to the bar, it’s about maintaining the strongest position for your spine. Just like squatting and deadlifting, your back should maintain a negative arch whenever possible–including during bench.

Like Sapasion, I have an arch from 135 up (though I can’t go up to 4XX), and DO use it if I play around with just the bar to warm up my shoulder.

I recently just hit 315 on bench and feel that i do it with little to no arch.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
when bench pressing i noticed alot of people arent laying flat when posting videos, i understand this is to minimize the distance the bar needs to move(ROM),

who here flat benches?

what weight is it acceptable to start using an arch?

[/quote]

I’m a flat bench presser because I don’t like to arch. Also, I like the feel of my back on the bench.

One of the goals of an arch is to reduce range of motion. You can arch at almost any weight.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

arching also take some pressure of the shoulders

Arching works in tandem with pushing into the floor with your toes to give you leg drive.

I arch on all lifts also. Practice with it for a few lifts and find the best arch for you… it took me a few months to really feel like I had the bench technique getting better. After a bit one day it really clicked and I noticed it helped alot when benching.

you don’t need to have a big PLing arch, but I beleive that your chest should be high with your shoulder blades pulled back.

I’m kind of surprised noone has asked this yet…but what are your goals?

Are you benching for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or sports performance?

[quote]Matt McG wrote:

Are you benching for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or sports performance? [/quote]

it was more just a general question and figured in strength sports i’d get a more mature response than what i would in the body building section of these boards.

btw that is NOT ME in MY AVATAR, ITS DENISE MILANI

my goals are pretty much too build a strong and massive build, push my natural limits then once i feel like ive reached that limit, im going to spend some time in mexico(fyi can buy steroids off the shelf) plus i wouldnt mind a pint of corona

when i bench over 220lbs ill put in a slight arch, i find its more about where i place my feet too how easy a lift is.

for everyones mature response enjoy this picture although i cant remember the girls name, if i ever met her id definatly try lay the pipe

I tend to bench with a big arch, but I’ve started going a bit flatter now.

[quote]Matt McG wrote:

Are you benching for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or sports performance? [/quote]

I’m benching for powerlifting.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

[quote]NASAKYCHAIRMAN wrote:
Matt McG wrote:

Are you benching for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or sports performance?

I’m benching for powerlifting.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

[/quote]

I know that YOU are Big Willie :slight_smile:

To the OP, if you’re not attempting to lift for a powerlifting meet, I wouldn’t say that it’s necessary to spend time developing a huge arch. That being said, the style of bench with the scapula retracted and upwardly rotated and elbows tucked will be safer for your shoulders in the long run and allow you to press some heavy weights once you get stronger and used to the technique.

-Matt

How tucked in should the elbows be?

/–\ i like to be like that.
A bit more tucked in than out, does it matter?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
How tucked in should the elbows be?

/–\ i like to be like that.
A bit more tucked in than out, does it matter?[/quote]

Depends on where you want to bring the bar down. The more you tuck the farther down it is going to touch.

All I know is that since I’ve switched to the more “powerlifting” style of benching… arch, elbows in, leg drive, tight upper back, my shoulders don’t hurt anymore. I can push a lot more weight and I just feel more solid throughout the lift.

I think the arch allows me to really drive my upper back into the bench. Which helps me tremendously. I’ll never bench without an arch again.