T Nation

Bench Press Contest

I am planning to enter a local bench press contest in August. I have been following Dan John's OLAD program for the past few months since returning from deployment and have not benched in years until today.

Any ideas on the fastest way to bring up my BP? This evening I got 270 x 3(no pause but no bounch or arch) at a body weight of 170 pounds. Since I'm 5'11", relatively flat chested with long arms, I'm weak through the whole lift. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Learn proper form, the arch and leg drive are important. Train triceps, squat and live Westside.

go to www.elitefts.com and start reading.

Close grip and speed benches.

Get a good setup where you retract your shoulder blades and rest up on your traps.

The thing that has helped me the most is pressing more. I stopped doing tricep work and reps with dumbbells, and started going heavier on assistance pressing.

On DE day and ME day, my second exercise will be a heavy press for 3 sets of 3-5. The exercises I will use are bottoms up presses, 2 board, incline press, floor press. These are the lifts that help me the most with the bench.

This isn't revolutionary or anything, a lot of lifters do this, but with rack lockouts, 4 and 5 boards, etc...higher end stuff. Most people would be better to work on starting strength, though, I believe.

Good Luck,
Bear

I'm doing a similar contest in 10 days. Our builds are very similar... 5'11", 175, long arms. What I've been doing for the last couple months is heavy bench, dips, chinups, and military press 4 times a week. Usually 5x3 or 5x5, 2 minutes between sets. My bench has come up 45 pounds in around 2 months.

Lift heavy, hard, and often. And be sure to get plenty of rest.

Good luck!