Bench Press at 16

hey im 16 years old 5’8 152lbs and im only maxing out on the bench at 205 what should it be?

Right now, it should probably be 210 instead.

But is there a point to this? Do you want your bench higher? Are you satisfied with your bench? Do you want it to be lower? Do you want to brag?

scarver you ahve nothing to be worried about, it’s pretty strong anyway especially at your age. You probably neednt be fretting over single max reps. Why not go for triples instead with whatever you can manage in good form and add 3-5 pounds every couple of bench sessions for the triple, that way if you only manage a single or double you can shoot for the extra rep next session. Take your time

You obviously haven’t trained that long, being 16 years old, and you’re already stronger (at least for relative strength) than many guys with 3+ years of training. I could only bench press 155 at age 16, and I weighed nearly 200 pounds, very fat.

You’re almost at the 1.5x body weight level, which is a great level for the bench press, especially at your age. Keep lifting, since you have some nice opening gains, and certainly a great future.

My nephew just turned 16 a few weeks ago. He benches 275 for reps.

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
Right now, it should probably be 210 instead.

But is there a point to this? Do you want your bench higher? Are you satisfied with your bench? Do you want it to be lower? Do you want to brag? [/quote]

no i play football and it just feels like i should be doing allot more than that for my size

200 is not bad for your age. I was benching 200 when I was 15 (weighing abt 195) and took it up to 320ish (weighing abt 250) by the end of high school and am playing D1 ball now (DE). I think most of our DBs come in benching mid-high 200s. WRs are slightly lower, backs are slightly higher.

Are you going to be a Junior? What position are you? You looking to play at the next level?

I’m 17 now and I bench like 175

[quote]Fezzik wrote:
200 is not bad for your age. I was benching 200 when I was 15 (weighing abt 195) and took it up to 320ish (weighing abt 250) by the end of high school and am playing D1 ball now (DE). I think most of our DBs come in benching mid-high 200s. WRs are slightly lower, backs are slightly higher.

Are you going to be a Junior? What position are you? You looking to play at the next level?[/quote]

no im a sophomore but im rb and cb but i go to a d3 school but where are u going to school at

You go to a d3 high school?..there aren’t divisions like that in High school.

You have a very solid bench. What’s your squat and DL at?

As a running back and cornerback your bench press does not mean as much as your squat,powerclean,and 40 time.Plus thats 50 pounds over your bodyweight which isn’t bad.When I turned 16 I was benching 255 but I was also 40 pounds heavier and playing center.It’s all relative to your body size and position.

[quote]wicked08 wrote:
You go to a d3 high school?..there aren’t divisions like that in High school.

You have a very solid bench. What’s your squat and DL at? [/quote]

there is 5 divisions in high school sports in ohio

Wicked is speaking of college division. Highschool divisions are not called divisions. You are a 3A school not a division 3 school. Division 3 would signify college. Highschool is based around the “A” system. 1-5A. Strength alot of times is relative more to size and body comp than age.

A 16 year could bench more than me and I could bench more than a 30 year old, it just depends on size, training, and other things. If you aren’t happy with your bench than increase it.

The naming system for divisions in high school football varies by state. I know a lot of southern states use the A system, but in Ohio they’re just called divisions. I’m pretty sure there are 6 and not 5, but that’s all unimportant.

MAS50, you are right, strength, size, speed, etc. are going to be related to other players at his age and position rather than simply size and body comp. Those are good exercises too; I’d also add in the deadlift. Within your team’s program, make sure to give those full effort.

When someone wants to find out how strong you are, they almost always will ask, “what’s your bench?” And it’s important, but it sucks because that’s all anybody cares about. Kinda like if a girl asks you to flex for her… it’s only about the biceps.