T Nation

Bench PR!

hit 275, 10 pound pr about two days ago,

goal is 315 by end of this school year (so like 9 months)

im thinking i should try to get 255x3, then move on to 265x3 and by that point ill be able to do 285, in which case ill be doing heavy singles of 275 for 3-5 or so, i might try clusters, also after my heavy work i will be repping 225 to failure (goal is 10)

assistance lifts are, close grip(incline or flat), shoulder pressing, heavy laterals, skull crushers
hows this look?

how did other ppl get to three plates?

[quote]bignate wrote:

im thinking i should try to get 255x3, then move on to 265x3 and by that point ill be able to do 285, in which case ill be doing heavy singles of 275 for 3-5 or so, i might try clusters, also after my heavy work i will be repping 225 to failure (goal is 10)

assistance lifts are, close grip(incline or flat), shoulder pressing, heavy laterals, skull crushers
hows this look?

how did other ppl get to three plates?[/quote]

I think adding 40lbs to your max is very doable in 9 months.Personally doing a second benching day consisting of reps only is one of the things that helped me get to 315.I now train bench 2 or 3 times a week depending on how often I am training the other lifts.

On top of flat benching I did 2 board and 3 board presses or decline presses a lot to get used to handling weight heavier than I could flat bench.I think that helped alot.Reverse band presses are probably even better for this because you can still do a full ROM while overloading your flat bench.

I also did dumbbell presses a lot.I think you gotta be willing to try different things to find out what works best for you.Besides that, it’s work and busting your ass.Best of luck man.

how old are you and what size?
If 275 is a true muscle pr and not just you learning to lift then your going to need more reps and not just burn out like your 225 set. Reps of 3 aren’t bad but I’d still go for 5 or 6 rep work sets. 3 is still training mostly power, which you’ve probably done for the last few months. Higher reps will give you some more muscle to work with.

I’d prefer 2or3/8days benching depending on your goals, DB press every week

As always, congrats on the PR, bignate.

315 within nine months? Very doable.

Keep pushing, and best of luck.

Hey,

I recently hit 275 @ 176 BW. I got there by doing a lot of heavy maxxes and at the same time, bringing up my 10rm to 214.5, along with speed work.

I have heard that if you can do 220 for 20 reps you should be able to do ~315.

The other thing I have been doing is vertical pressups (like a handstand) against a wall, on dumbells to increase ROM. I have gone from 2 - 3 reps to 6 reps since I got my new PR. I think if I can boost the reps there to 10+ I will get a new PB on the bench. I predict that 20 reps here will equal nearly three plates.

My training plan over the next few months is to keep up the speed work, try to increase my 10rm to 220, then work on my 8rm until I can move 220 for more reps. I will also be doing a different heavy single every week - dumbells and barbells at all angles, floor presses and board presses.

Read up about WestSide training and bench technique.

Good luck

You’ll have 315 in MUCH less time within 3 months imo. I bet your form is getting better, thats why such a big pr in such short amount of time.

I got to 3 plates just doing bench, not even very serious. Its not a HUGE # like say 500lbs so doesn’t take much extra stuff to get to it-though does depend on your weight-.

Gratz on the pr I’m sure you are probably one of the strongest in your gym with near 300lb bench.

haha yeh im the only one that trains legs in my gym, im at a bw of 250, and 17 years old (will be in 5 days), i think session one will be all the heavy work
and session two will be 4x10 on all my lifts to make muscle gains, still want to hit 255x3, then 265x3, once i get there i should have 290 in grasp :slight_smile:

If I could do it over, I would’ve mixed my reps not just concentrated on doubles and triples. It burnt me out and kept me at 275 for months when I was 15. To only have had the knowledge I have now…It’s actually alittle upsetting lol.

Anyways what is working for me right now is this or you could check me log.

I’ve been doing sets of 7-8 reps then bumbing the weight everytime I hit 8 reps. Did that for about 6 weeks and now I’ve bumped up to sets of 5 reps, gunna hit that for another 6 weeks til I can do 315x5 then I’m gunna bump to triples for a month, doubles for 2 weeks and max out the week after. I train bench one day a week and tricep assistance with close grip benching another.

Godd luck.

What’s with the close grip on the incline bench mate? I’ve never seen it before.

[quote]bignate wrote:

hows this look?

dont look to bad, but i have to ask~ how many times a week r u benching? do u do dumbell or declines? do u do any speed work? i’ve been training my speed and decline with dbells and bbells and my bench has gone from 331 to 395 in 5 months. while keeping my body weight the same…also really concentraiting on keeping back tight. give it a try, it may work for ya

how did other ppl get to three plates?[/quote]

Congratulation on your pr!

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

Congrats fella! You’re young, strong and obviously working hard. You’ll get to that 315 in no time!

[quote]AndyG wrote:
What’s with the close grip on the incline bench mate? I’ve never seen it before.[/quote]

hits shoulders as well as tris, i really love the groove of it and has helped me i think only useful for raw lifters IMO

Nice job on the PR!

I hit 315 without doing anything special. Just varying my rep ranges from 3-5’s and 8-10’s. Lots of flat bench and decline bench. I also did a lot of incline DB’s.

Getting to 365 took a lot more ME work (1’s,2’s and 3’s), as well as board pressing, chains/bands, etc. I did speed work for a while, but dumped it in favor of RE work on my second day. Also adding in a lot more overhead pressing to get my shoulders up to par and hammering the entire mid/upper back. I’ve actually made my second upper body day an overhead focused day, instead of just hitting bench first again.

I’d give you advice on how to get to 405, but I still haven’t figured that one out for myself. Yet.

lol thnx, im sure when i hit 315, ull hit 405 then we can exchange words of wisdom :slight_smile:

Awesome! Keep it going and you will soon be there.

D

[quote]bignate wrote:
lol thnx, im sure when i hit 315, ull hit 405 then we can exchange words of wisdom :)[/quote]

i can’t believe Modi didn’t tell you how he REALLY got his bench up. He likes to keep those secretes to himself but all i can say is that he is a real Whore.:slight_smile:

seriously though… if you are looking to get your bench up fast- become faster at your execution by doing speed work and determine your weakpoints in form and muscle groups.

once you do that you can focus your attention on hammering those weak muscle groups and form issues. i would also get most of your working sets in the 80-90% range through using 3x3 or 5x5. both are very effective.

limit the use of heavy singles and doubles… these fatigue the CNS and in my opinion, don’t lead to building strength, it tests strength.

I found that the Beast Building program (part one in particular) helped me blast through a plateau i had for a year at 270 (after 2 weeks of that i was at 290, and now i’m at 295). great program that starts jacking up your nervous system so you recruit more muscle. give it a shot if you got the time