Bench Numbers

Here is a newbie question for yall?

What time frame am i looking at if i want to up my BP from 315 to 355?

I’m currently doing WEST SIDE with a few variations to it but it is based around the west side template.

[quote]NZ_Freak wrote:

I’m currently doing WEST SIDE with a few variations to it but it is based around the west side template.

[/quote]

It took me 3 YEARS to get from 315 to 355! I lost about 3 months to tendonitis at one point and 9 months due to knee surgery, so 2 years of training. I think knowing what I know now, I could have done that in just inside of a year (In retro, I would have taken a week off every 3-4 weeks probably, and cut out a lot of useless work). I also really beat myself up on squats (3x/week).

The thing is, if you are big, and just really getting going for strength, you can make your first big 40 pound jump in maybe 12 weeks. I am smaller than you, and I know I went from 225 to 285 in my first 6 months of real strength training. I’m just saying, you may be closer to where I was then relative to our sizes. Just a guess here, but if you’ve been “liftin” but not really for strenght you can definitely shoot for 20 pounds in 6 weeks, and another 20 in the next 6 weeks. After that, things might slow down, but I’d still say 40 pounds a year if you do it right.

I would ask a number of questions. Do you practice excellent technique? Have you been lifting HEAVY for some time? Are you typically a strong bencher in regards to your other lifts? First two no, last one yes then a couple months will give you 40 pounds. I went from 315 once to 315 for 5 reps in under two months by attacking my form and finally liftin really heavy with lots of volume. You have good size so it shouldn’t be CRAZY hard.

I use Westside and went from 330 to 365 for 1 RM in about 5 weeks. Really hammering your triceps and working on your lockout will do wonders for your bench.

Hey thanx yall,
My training has been pretty much f@#$d up befor i discovered T Nation and Defrancos web sites, i was doing stupid stuff and not gaining much at all. I want to do it fast because we have a comp going at our rugby club and i want to win it haha. Anyway the progress ive made since ive started westside is great and if i take it all in and just do it properly i should get there. I also want to get down to 215 body wieght while still improving on my lifts, but i am in no hurry for that to happen.
PEACE

i want to go from 210 to 270 i can do 210 about like 5 times i want to rep 235 in sets but do 270 as my max got any ideas…

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
NZ_Freak wrote:

It took me 3 YEARS to get from 315 to 355! I lost about 3 months to tendonitis at one point and 9 months due to knee surgery, so 2 years of training. I think knowing what I know now, I could have done that in just inside of a year (In retro, I would have taken a week off every 3-4 weeks probably, and cut out a lot of useless work). I also really beat myself up on squats (3x/week).

The thing is, if you are big, and just really getting going for strength, you can make your first big 40 pound jump in maybe 12 weeks. I am smaller than you, and I know I went from 225 to 285 in my first 6 months of real strength training. I’m just saying, you may be closer to where I was then relative to our sizes. Just a guess here, but if you’ve been “liftin” but not really for strenght you can definitely shoot for 20 pounds in 6 weeks, and another 20 in the next 6 weeks. After that, things might slow down, but I’d still say 40 pounds a year if you do it right.

[/quote]

hey i am new to this site and got a question thats really been bothering me. i 19 years old and i am 6’1 150 pounds and have been working out for about two years on and off, but pretty hard latety. I am currently maxing out at 220 in bench press and thought that was good, but i really want to know what a kid my size and age should be maxing out at.

I didn’t used westside but was able to make that same climb in about five weeks. For me bench seems to grow quickly. At the same time I don’t have a partner to help me but I also invested a lot of time in technique.
You can probably hit that kind of change if you take advantage of Dave Tates articles on this website.

Starkmann

It took me about 3 months to make the jump from 315 to 365 when i was in high school. That was taking creatine and protein while doing a Bench workout 3 times a week. I was weighing 220 at the time.

I’m sorry if this doesn’t seem very clear.I have a copy of this old workout from Muscle Media, you will put on 25 pounds to your bench press in 7 weeks. I tried it and it worked. Here’s how it goes…
Monday- Chest
Bench press #1,3,5,7,9,11,13
dumbbell bench press 3 sets of 8 reps
Shoulders
Dumbbell side raise 3 sets of 8 reps
Triceps
Lying tricep extension 3 set of 8 reps
Tuesday- Off
Wednesday-Back
Narrow grip pulldown 3 sets of 8 reps
Barbell row 3 sets of 6 reps
Biceps
Barbell curl 3 sets of 8 reps
Thursday-Off
Friday-Shoulders
Rotator cuff exercise 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Chest
bench press #2,4,6,8,10,12,14
Triceps
Weighted Dips 3 sets of 6 reps
Saturday-Legs
Squat 3 sets of 6 reps
Leg Press 3 sets of 8 reps
Leg curl 3 sets of 8 reps
Back
Reverse grip pulldown 3 sets of 8 reps
One arm dumbbell row 3 sets of 8 reps
Biceps
Incline dumbbell curl 3 sets of 8 reps
Sunday-Off
First you need to find what is your one rep max.The point of this exerxise is to increase your bench press. There is no military press cuz that would put more stress on your tricep and shoulders, save it for your bench press.You won’t be exhausted or pumped up after each exercise cuz you’re strengthening your bench press. There are 14 bench press days done twice a week. Monday and Friday. You would warm up for each set of bench press. You will do only 3 set total. You will be doing a few negative sets. Meaning, you will need a person to help spot you. You would lift the bar off the rack and lower it and have the person help you bring it back up.I will use 225 pounds as an example. I lost half the original so my list only goes up to 330 pounds 1 rep max.
for example if your 1 rep max is 225 this is how your exercise program would look like.

1. Monday
    175 lbs for 6 reps
    185 lbs for 5 reps
    195 lbs for 4 reps
  2. Friday
    195 lbs for 3 reps
    210 lbs for 2 reps
    230 lbs(negative) get a spotter
  3. Monday
    180 lbs for 6 reps
    190 lbs for 5 reps
    200 lbs for 4 reps
  4. Friday
    200 lbs for 3 reps
    210 lbs for 2 reps
    235 lbs(negative)
  5. Monday
    185 lbs for 6 reps
    195 lbs for 5 reps
    205 lbs(do as many as you can)
  6. Friday
    205 lbs for 3 reps
    220lbs for 2 reps
    240 lbs(negative)
  7. Monday
    190 lbs for 5 reps
    210 lbs for 3 reps
    210 lbs(do as many as you can)
  8. Friday
    210 lbs for 3 reps
    225 lbs for 1 rep
    250 lbs(negative)
  9. Monday
    195 lbs for 5 reps
    215 lbs for 3 reps
    215 lbs(do as many as you can)
  10. Friday
    215 lbs for 3 reps
    230 lbs for 2 reps
    240 lbs for 1 rep
  11. Monday
    200 lbs for 5 reps
    220 lbs for 3 reps
    220 lbs(do as many as you can)
  12. Friday
    215 lbs for 3 reps
    230 lbs for 2 reps
    245 lbs for 1 rep
  13. Monday
    205 lbs for 5 reps
    225 lbs for 3 reps
    240 lbs for 2 reps
  14. Friday
    220 lbs for 3 reps
    235 lbs for 2 reps
    250 lbs for 1 rep

This will bring your new bench press max up by 25 pounds. Take about 4 weeks doing what ever exercise you want and repeat the program. For a higher weight like 230 pounds add 5 pounds to evey weight number. I hope Iexplained it clearly. When I figure out how to scan on my computer I’ll put the original paper up. You can add 5 pounds on or take 5 pounds off depending on your 1 rep max and go from there.I hope it’s not too confusing.I started off at 185 pounds 1 rep max. Today it’s 325 pounds 1 rep max.
Hopefully some of the other T-nationers have seen of this exercise program from Muscle Media. I think it was back in 1997.Please correct me if I’m wrong

If you were 5’6 and 150 I would say 210 isn’t an impressive bench because at that height and with that limb length you should easily have the muscle to do it. But at 6’1" and 150 you’re very skinny so I think it becomes a far more respectable bench. If you stuck to some of the programs on this site and followed the dietary guidelines in a year or two you will probably be carrying many pounds of addiontal muscle and benching well over 300.

[quote]kirby wrote:

hey i am new to this site and got a question thats really been bothering me. i 19 years old and i am 6’1 150 pounds and have been working out for about two years on and off, but pretty hard latety. I am currently maxing out at 220 in bench press and thought that was good, but i really want to know what a kid my size and age should be maxing out at.
[/quote]

[quote]NZ_Freak wrote:

[/quote]

Two years three months, one week and four days exactly!

[quote]crestsider121 wrote:
i want to go from 210 to 270 i can do 210 about like 5 times i want to rep 235 in sets but do 270 as my max got any ideas…[/quote]

Yea. Start using punctuation so you don’t sound like a third grader who rides the short bus.

NZ Freak since your max is 315 lbs try the exercise I mentioned but incorporate your 315 lbs as your benchmark. Here’s how your bench press exercise would look like.
you will put on 25 pounds to your bench press in 7 weeks. I tried it and it worked. Here’s how it goes…
Monday- Chest
Bench press #1,3,5,7,9,11,13
dumbbell bench press 3 sets of 8 reps
Shoulders
Dumbbell side raise 3 sets of 8 reps
Triceps
Lying tricep extension 3 set of 8 reps
Tuesday- Off
Wednesday-Back
Narrow grip pulldown 3 sets of 8 reps
Barbell row 3 sets of 6 reps
Biceps
Barbell curl 3 sets of 8 reps
Thursday-Off
Friday-Shoulders
Rotator cuff exercise 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Chest
bench press #2,4,6,8,10,12,14
Triceps
Weighted Dips 3 sets of 6 reps
Saturday-Legs
Squat 3 sets of 6 reps
Leg Press 3 sets of 8 reps
Leg curl 3 sets of 8 reps
Back
Reverse grip pulldown 3 sets of 8 reps
One arm dumbbell row 3 sets of 8 reps
Biceps
Incline dumbbell curl 3 sets of 8 reps
Sunday-Off
First you need to find what is your one rep max.The point of this exerxise is to increase your bench press. There is no military press cuz that would put more stress on your tricep and shoulders, save it for your bench press.You won’t be exhausted or pumped up after each exercise cuz you’re strengthening your bench press. There are 14 bench press days done twice a week. Monday and Friday. You would warm up for each set of bench press. You will do only 3 set total. You will be doing a few negative sets. Meaning, you will need a person to help spot you. You would lift the bar off the rack and lower it and have the person help you bring it back up.I will use 225 pounds as an example. I lost half the original so my list only goes up to 330 pounds 1 rep max.
for example if your 1 rep max is 315 this is how your exercise program would look like.

1. Monday
    250 lbs for 6 reps
    265 lbs for 5 reps
    275 lbs for 4 reps
  2. Friday
    270 lbs for 3 reps
    295 lbs for 2 reps
    325 lbs(negative) get a spotter
  3. Monday
    250 lbs for 6 reps
    265 lbs for 5 reps
    280 lbs for 4 reps
  4. Friday
    280 lbs for 3 reps
    300 lbs for 2 reps
    330 lbs(negative)
  5. Monday
    255 lbs for 6 reps
    270 lbs for 5 reps
    285 lbs(do as many as you can)
  6. Friday
    285 lbs for 3 reps
    305 lbs for 2 reps
    340 lbs(negative)
  7. Monday
    265 lbs for 5 reps
    290 lbs for 3 reps
    295 lbs(do as many as you can)
  8. Friday
    290 lbs for 3 reps
    315 lbs for 1 rep
    345 lbs(negative)
  9. Monday
    270 lbs for 5 reps
    295 lbs for 3 reps
    300 lbs(do as many as you can)
  10. Friday
    295 lbs for 3 reps
    320 lbs for 2 reps
    330 lbs for 1 rep
  11. Monday
    275 lbs for 5 reps
    300 lbs for 3 reps
    305 lbs(do as many as you can)
  12. Friday
    295 lbs for 3 reps
    315 lbs for 2 reps
    335 lbs for 1 rep
  13. Monday
    285 lbs for 5 reps
    310 lbs for 3 reps
    330 lbs for 2 reps
  14. Friday
    300 lbs for 3 reps
    320 lbs for 2 reps
    340 lbs for 1 rep

This will bring your new bench press max up by 25 pounds, at the end of this program your new max should be 340 lbs, it might not be 355 but you’ll be that much closer to it. Try it, and you’ll have a new max in 7 weeks

Here is a great article on increasing your bench press. Its helped me quite a bit.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808