T Nation

BENCH HELP!!!

Im 19 so i should not be losing strength! but lately my bench has gone down, i have kept up on training, nutrition, and sleep! heres my workout
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Bench
Thursday: DL
Friday Off
Saturday: Arms
Sunday: Squat

Should i start benching twice a week max effort? I need to improve my bench bad, comp. on aug. 6! Before i graduated i put up 400 raw, w/ pause. (about may 25) and last night i got a single at 375, missed #2, went to 355, same deal! And im gaining weight! so i guess im asking if i need to bench more than once a week, considering im 19, i have lots of energy, and recover well, i appreciate all the help folks,

[quote]FE_FrEaK wrote:
Im 19 so i should not be losing strength! but lately my bench has gone down, i have kept up on training, nutrition, and sleep! heres my workout
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Bench
Thursday: DL
Friday Off
Saturday: Arms
Sunday: Squat

Should i start benching twice a week max effort? I need to improve my bench bad, comp. on aug. 6! Before i graduated i put up 400 raw, w/ pause. (about may 25) and last night i got a single at 375, missed #2, went to 355, same deal! And im gaining weight! so i guess im asking if i need to bench more than once a week, considering im 19, i have lots of energy, and recover well, i appreciate all the help folks, [/quote]

Why no shoulder work? Wouldn’t some delt work help with your bench power since the bench press usually uses the anterior deltoids as an assist muscle?

Other than that, it could be overtraining, undertraining, other weak muscles, stress, focus, or just a bad day.

What you probably need at this point is rest. You are deadlifting every week?!? That would absolutely kill me. I usually rotate my max leg days in a 3 week rotation like squat variation, gm variation, dead variation (or dead, gm, squat). The gm hits a lot of the same muscles used by squats and deads and isn’t nearly as taxing on your CNS. My suggestion is to take a week off and come back fresh, and don’t DL so much.

When was the last time you took an unloading week or rest week? that may be your problem. Shitty as you have a comp soon. But I’d say take an unload week and then do two weeks or more of supplementary non-bench work (eg. triceps, rows) and then a week of dynamic only. then try a ME day and go into a heavy cycle again. give your CNS a break mate. you don’t seem to have a back day. If your back (pulling) is not comparable to your front (pushing) then your bench is sure to plateau if not degrade. muscle imbalances cause your body to propreocept less strength to prevent injury to the imbalanced area. Get your scap’s some work to to make sure you shoulders aren’t holding you back.

Read eric cressy articles and tate’s toolbox articles. tons of info on here. Deload.

-chris

thanks guys, lots of help here. I will back off on DL, but i do shoulder work on bench day. (front raises, rear delts)

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
When was the last time you took an unloading week or rest week? that may be your problem. Shitty as you have a comp soon. But I’d say take an unload week and then do two weeks or more of supplementary non-bench work (eg. triceps, rows) and then a week of dynamic only. then try a ME day and go into a heavy cycle again. give your CNS a break mate. you don’t seem to have a back day. If your back (pulling) is not comparable to your front (pushing) then your bench is sure to plateau if not degrade. muscle imbalances cause your body to propreocept less strength to prevent injury to the imbalanced area. Get your scap’s some work to to make sure you shoulders aren’t holding you back.

Read eric cressy articles and tate’s toolbox articles. tons of info on here. Deload.

-chris[/quote]

What he said.

What about pulling/ rowing motions? If you PL why don’t you use the WSB format of ME and DE days?

-chris

[quote]FE_FrEaK wrote:
thanks guys, lots of help here. I will back off on DL, but i do shoulder work on bench day. (front raises, rear delts)[/quote]

You should be rotating exercises every 2-3 weeks so your strength doesn’t stagnate the way it has. You need to keep stimulating your body in different ways to ensure a continued progression.

Also, as someone mentioned there is already a great system set up for powerlifting. Check out westside-barbell.com and see how these guys lift. The majority of powerlifters are using this template.

Dam i love this board even more every time i get on! I am in a shitty situation though, becuase i have less than a month before i have to report to school for football and then im on their program for the next 4 years!!! boo i am scared because i want to continue getting stronger

You need a week or 2 of rest or light bench work. Like they said Deload on all lifts for a week. Do you any back work? Big backs are key to big benching. How much tricep work are you doing? Maybe too much isolation arm work? Add some pull-ups into your week 2x a week. 400 is a good raw bench anyways but if it was a PR than you need to work at a % lower than 400 to get past it. Do you do any speed work? How many ME movements are you rotating for your bench day.

What about some kind of external rotation work, and maybe try doing some kind of variation for a while, DB, Board presses, etc

Is it possible that you didnt get enough sleep or you didnt eat well the last couple of days and came to your workout a little flat?

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
What you probably need at this point is rest. You are deadlifting every week?!? That would absolutely kill me. I usually rotate my max leg days in a 3 week rotation like squat variation, gm variation, dead variation (or dead, gm, squat). The gm hits a lot of the same muscles used by squats and deads and isn’t nearly as taxing on your CNS. My suggestion is to take a week off and come back fresh, and don’t DL so much.[/quote]

Lol, and Chad Waterbury has me deadlifting twice a day…

You only do Bench, DLs, squats and arms?

Does that represent chest, back and legs… or do you only do a single exercise a day?

Reformulating your program should be your first priority. Having weak shoulders and an undeveloped back doesn’t help your bench much nevermind your overall body composition. If you only have time to workout 4 days a week then I suggest removing arm day as you’ll get enough of a strain on them during chest and back workouts.

You need to give us a more detailed account of your program for any of us to help you.

[quote]FE_FrEaK wrote:
thanks guys, lots of help here. I will back off on DL, but i do shoulder work on bench day. (front raises, rear delts)[/quote]

I don’t recommend doing shoulders the same day as benching. Especially movements involving the anterior head. Shoulders are easily overtrained and thus may cause your recent lost in strength.

Why do you have a whole day dedicated to just arms?

you may need to expand on this routine. For example how much benching are you doing 1 set 5 reps for example how many weeks have you been on this routine.

This will help to tell if you are over training.