T Nation

Bench Help

Hey guys,

I need some help with my bench. When I bench, it really seems to irritate my shoulders. I can push press/military press/klokov press with absolutely no shoulder discomfort. I can bench with dumbbells with no shoulder discomfort. I say this to illustrate that I think my shoulders are healthy, but that it is something explicit about the bench with the barbell that messes me up.

I am guessing that I am shoulder dominant when I bench, but I am looking for tips on how to bench properly without messing up my shoulders permanently. The ache I get from benching lasts a full day after I do it, sometimes two.

Thanks!

–Me

Vids of your form would help. Are your elbows up by your ears? Are you 6’3 with no arch? This would explain shoulder pain.

[quote]PowerBear wrote:
Vids of your form would help. Are your elbows up by your ears? Are you 6’3 with no arch? This would explain shoulder pain.[/quote]

I don’t have any vids. My arms are about 45 degrees (I’m careful) and I have decent arch. I’m ~5’ 9" or so. Certainly I could fit a baseball between my back and the bench, though it might be a tight fit. Grip is moderate. Not wide, not narrow (for a regular bench). I do narrow grip benching (as an assistance exercise) and that does not cause me any discomfort.

–Me

its tough to say whats wrong without seeing you lift or knowing where it hurts your shoulder. is it the front delt? rear delt?
try do shoulder dislocates with a band. those always help me out. bump up upper back work. get your back tighter when you bench. Just play around with your set up and find something that doesn’t bug you

You have to give us a video. Your are most likely flaring your elbows while you bench.

How much mobility work are you doing? How much back work / rotator cuff work are you doing?

Watch this:

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
You have to give us a video. Your are most likely flaring your elbows while you bench.

How much mobility work are you doing? How much back work / rotator cuff work are you doing?

Watch this:

Ugh. That video was fantastic. I saw a couple of form issues I can correct already, thank you!

I’ll try to get a video up tomorrow.

I do a lot of back work and I used to do a lot of rotator cuff work, but it didn’t seem to make much difference. For back I’m doing pullups, chinups, dumbbell rows and snatch grip high pulls.

–Me

[quote]kravi wrote:

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
You have to give us a video. Your are most likely flaring your elbows while you bench.

How much mobility work are you doing? How much back work / rotator cuff work are you doing?

Watch this:

Ugh. That video was fantastic. I saw a couple of form issues I can correct already, thank you!

I’ll try to get a video up tomorrow.

I do a lot of back work and I used to do a lot of rotator cuff work, but it didn’t seem to make much difference. For back I’m doing pullups, chinups, dumbbell rows and snatch grip high pulls.

–Me[/quote]

Right on, keep at it so you can rule out a muscular imbalance issue. Start up with this form and let us know how it goes.