T Nation

Bench Grip

I was wondering what the reason is for this type of grip?

From what i’ve heard… utter stupidity.

Don’t know honestly beyond the jokes about videos like that.

There’s no real reason for it, its just that some people just prefer it.

I don’t know the reason but I use it because its more comfortable for me. I’ve also never come remotely close to having the bar slip out of my hands like that

I’ve seen multiple videos of people dropping the bar on their chest using that grip. It is stupid.

The only reason to use that grip is for pulling movements, where it actually makes your grip stronger. Like rows or pull-ups.

[quote]BlueJ wrote:
I don’t know the reason but I use it because its more comfortable for me. I’ve also never come remotely close to having the bar slip out of my hands like that[/quote]

Do you chalk up your hands?

EDIT: I’m not trying to be a dick, I just couldn’t imagine it not slipping out of MY hands. So just wondering if you do something to prevent it.

no real reason people just perfer it i use that grip while doing pulldowns but would never during benching just seems foolish to me.

It’s called the suicide grip for a reason.

I used to use that grip because I would get an immense shooting pain in my “thumb web” muscle in my left hand if I used a normal grip.
I still get it, but usually just with dips now. Anyone have any idea what causes it? Nerve damage?

Using a normal grip puts more pressure on my wrists.

The suicide grip makes the surface of your hand touching the bar wider, which spreads out the load a little more. That’s the conclusion I’ve come to for why it doesn’t irritate my wrist as much.

I use chalk as well.

But it’s not like I’m benching 600 pounds or anything.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
BlueJ wrote:
I don’t know the reason but I use it because its more comfortable for me. I’ve also never come remotely close to having the bar slip out of my hands like that

EDIT: I’m not trying to be a dick, I just couldn’t imagine it not slipping out of MY hands. So just wondering if you do something to prevent it.[/quote]

Nope, I usually just give my hands a few solid wipes on my shirt before I set up.

I started using it in high school at the guidance of our football coach (so this info may or may not be true) but he said when you use a thumbless grip you don’t squeeze the bar as hard so it takes your arms out of the lift somewhat and puts more emphasis on the chest.

BONEZ explanation makes sense to me also. It could be some combination of the two, but using a thumbless grip definitely puts the bar more overtop my forearms which seems like is more biomechanically efficient than having your hands bent way back and hyperextending your wrists (hope that makes sense).

You are doing something wrong if your wrists hyperextend with a normal bench grip!

I train with many power lifters from a while back no one really popular but, one is in his 50’s and bench 405 for around 3, And he asked me why I bench with my hands around the bar long story short he told me to suicide grip because it allows to get your triceps and shouldrs under the bar into the lift. More muscles used equals heavier weight but less chest development in a very lesser degree.

[quote]drenelin wrote:
You are doing something wrong if your wrists hyperextend with a normal bench grip! [/quote]

This is true. Hyperextension in the wrists is not the only cause of irritation for some people, however.

I find that with the suicide grip its harder to take a lift off from someone. Some people lift way too much, and the bar just falls into the hands, or in this case, chest.

Its also a bitch when it has so much momentum that you lose your arch.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It doesnt make much sense to me either.

[quote]BlueJ wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
BlueJ wrote:

EDIT: I’m not trying to be a dick, I just couldn’t imagine it not slipping out of MY hands. So just wondering if you do something to prevent it.

Nope, I usually just give my hands a few solid wipes on my shirt before I set up.

I started using it in high school at the guidance of our football coach (so this info may or may not be true) but he said when you use a thumbless grip you don’t squeeze the bar as hard so it takes your arms out of the lift somewhat and puts more emphasis on the chest.

BONEZ explanation makes sense to me also. It could be some combination of the two, but using a thumbless grip definitely puts the bar more overtop my forearms which seems like is more biomechanically efficient than having your hands bent way back and hyperextending your wrists (hope that makes sense).[/quote]

It makes sense for sure. So did BONEZ.

hmmm… SOmething new to ponder. I broke my wrist about 6 years ago, and with the screw in there have never gotten full ROM back. I never really worked to get it back though. I can’t put my palm down flat to do a pushup without pain, especially around the change of seasons. I have to use bars…

Thanks guys