Bench Grip for Overhead Press?

I’ve been having a really tough time increasing my overhead (strict) press. Currently my routine is overhead press 3x4-5. I think I should add a triceps exercise to supplement the OP. I read the reverse-grip bench press activates the triceps and upper chest a lot more than the bench, but I’m wondering if it’s enough to be better than the close-grip bench press. Any thoughts? Also, is there a better triceps exercise than those 2? I can’t do skull crushers or triceps extensions because of forearm pain (I have metal plates in one of them).

Try floor presses, and switch your overhead to higher volume and frequency. Should work like a charm.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
Try floor presses, and switch your overhead to higher volume and frequency. Should work like a charm.[/quote]

What volume/frequency do you think I should do? Should I do a floor press and light OH press day in addition to a heavier OH press day?

[quote]frostedtips wrote:

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
Try floor presses, and switch your overhead to higher volume and frequency. Should work like a charm.[/quote]

What volume/frequency do you think I should do? Should I do a floor press and light OH press day in addition to a heavier OH press day? [/quote]

Try 5/3/1 with strict press, and set up your floor press similarly, but not limited to 5/3/1. Keep it simple. Volume will help, surely.

Vinny is right. The only thing that I will add, and it may not work for everyone, is that I do all of my pressing with a clean grip/ shoulder width grip. I have found that is my most powerful position. I have never been a great bencher, but strict standing overhead pressed 265 that way. I floor press, bench press, strict press and push press all with that grip…

Have you tried alternating your OHP with Push Press? That really helped mine, plus I felt more comfortable with the weight.