T Nation

Bench Goal Feasible?

I'm trying to set a concrete goal on the bench press and wanted to get some feedback to see if it was feasible. I started lifting July 1 with a 1RM max of 205. I did 245 for the first time yesterday. I'm looking to put up 275 by New Years and 315 by June 1 (b-day). I know the beginners' gains will diminish pretty soon but hopefully some of the techniques from the site will help me get past them.

My background is as follows: 32 y/o . 6ft 190lbs 15% bf. I've never lifted more than 5 months straight. I always end up stopping for some reason or another. But not this time.

Is this a crazy goal or have some of you guys achieved similar results when you started lifting?

Falling Short of Goals, Need Help

Yeah, a beginner can add 15 lbs. a month. But don’t be surprised if you’re about past the beginner stage, then it slows down a lot.

Tough, but doable. It really depends on how much training focus you put on benching. I wouldn’t recommend neglecting your other lifts though.

Bottom line: You won’t know until you try!

It’s absolutely possible. I had a similar goal to put up 300 lbs by January 1, 2008.

I started off at 225 in July of 2007 and hit 275 at the beginning of December. On the last day of December, I put up 305.

it only took me a year to get to 300 from benching 80 lbs (Cause i didnt start strength training till the 2nd year i was working out), so i bet 300 will go up for you in a shorter time then 8 months.

Im 18
175lbs
Max Bench 325

u can do it, just eat and do weighted dips and incline benches, and Deadlifts/Squats, all will help your bench skyrocket.

[quote]Yakn Joe wrote:
It’s absolutely possible. I had a similar goal to put up 300 lbs by January 1, 2008.

I started off at 225 in July of 2007 and hit 275 at the beginning of December. On the last day of December, I put up 305.

[/quote]

Damn, that was a good December. Well I’m glad to hear someone else has done this. That actually makes it feasible.

I definitely won’t be neglecting the other parts of my workout. But bench is my favorite and since I can’t do squats or DL’s because of a bad back, its the only strength exercise that I can gauge.

315 by June is easier then 275 by the beginning if December. Although your less likely to hit 315 by june if you focus to hard on 275. Look at your last few weeks if you’ve had steady strenght increases then continue on the same program. If not redesign your program around getting 335 or 345 for next June.

totally doable man. bust your ass!

if bench is your main concern; do all the variations too!

and don’t forget your back!!

“You can’t shoot a rocket launcher out of a rowboat”

make sense?

good. go lift. and eat.

+1…and shoulders

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
+1…and shoulders[/quote]

My shoulders are definitely my weakest point and I’m finally addressing that. I’m doing a good amount of upper/mid back work now too so I’m hoping the gains in weight will keep coming.

Yeah, it seems reasonable.

… and don’t forget to squat.

Never let your mind feed doubt to yourself.

Don’t hold yourself back by believing it might not be possible. Shit even if it is impossible, just dust yourself off, and try that shit again.

Just stay smart, like you have, and you should be fine if your motivated.

Good Luck

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I can’t do squats or DL’s because of a bad back, its the only strength exercise that I can gauge. [/quote]

Suitcase squats? Single leg bodyweight squats?

There must be something you can (and hopefully are) doing.

Maybe you can’t post on the Internet “I squat 1000000 pounds!!!” But you can and should have a challenging leg workout and you can measure your progress in whatever squat / deadlift type exercise you can do.

Good luck with the 300 lb bench.

[quote]Rippemanewone wrote:
it only took me a year to get to 300 from benching 80 lbs (Cause i didnt start strength training till the 2nd year i was working out), so i bet 300 will go up for you in a shorter time then 8 months.

Im 18
175lbs
Max Bench 325

u can do it, just eat and do weighted dips and incline benches, and Deadlifts/Squats, all will help your bench skyrocket.[/quote]

You bench 300?

[quote]kiwinomad wrote:
sam_sneed wrote:

There must be something you can (and hopefully are) doing.

Maybe you can’t post on the Internet “I squat 1000000 pounds!!!” But you can and should have a challenging leg workout and you can measure your progress in whatever squat / deadlift type exercise you can do.

Good luck with the 300 lb bench.[/quote]

I’m just did leg presses the other day without my back bothering me. 2 months ago, they caused me back pain when my legs were fully extended. So they’re going into the routine. I’m also going to get single leg squats in there as well and hopefully work my way up to front squats.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Put up 275 today, so I’m 2 weeks ahead of schedule on my 1st goal. 315 by June is definitely looking doable.

Nice job man good to see people setting goals and then actually working hard and accomplishing them.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
Nice job man good to see people setting goals and then actually working hard and accomplishing them. [/quote]

Thanks. As corny as it sounds, putting it the goal out there made me feel accountable for achieving it. One the benefits this site.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I’m trying to set a concrete goal on the bench press and wanted to get some feedback to see if it was feasible. I started lifting July 1 with a 1RM max of 205. I did 245 for the first time yesterday. I’m looking to put up 275 by New Years and 315 by June 1 (b-day). I know the beginners’ gains will diminish pretty soon but hopefully some of the techniques from the site will help me get past them.

My background is as follows: 32 y/o . 6ft 190lbs 15% bf. I’ve never lifted more than 5 months straight. I always end up stopping for some reason or another. But not this time.

Is this a crazy goal or have some of you guys achieved similar results when you started lifting?[/quote]

So it’s June 1. And I came close but no cigar. I put up 305 smoothly on April 30 so I thought I’d make it. Unfortunately I got food poisoning 1st week of May and lost some strength and body weight. Then I got the flue the 3rd week of May and lost some more. But excuses are like assholes so it doesn’t really matter.

Anyway, it obviously was a feasible goal but I just fell short. There are so many threads where people put down a goal to be accountable for it and you never hear from them again. I didn’t want to be one of them so here I am. I’m back up to 305 and will probably hit 315 at the end of the month. Then I’ll make my 365, 405 feasible post lol.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
sam_sneed wrote:
I’m trying to set a concrete goal on the bench press and wanted to get some feedback to see if it was feasible. I started lifting July 1 with a 1RM max of 205. I did 245 for the first time yesterday. I’m looking to put up 275 by New Years and 315 by June 1 (b-day). I know the beginners’ gains will diminish pretty soon but hopefully some of the techniques from the site will help me get past them.

My background is as follows: 32 y/o . 6ft 190lbs 15% bf. I’ve never lifted more than 5 months straight. I always end up stopping for some reason or another. But not this time.

Is this a crazy goal or have some of you guys achieved similar results when you started lifting?

So it’s June 1. And I came close but no cigar. I put up 305 smoothly on April 30 so I thought I’d make it. Unfortunately I got food poisoning 1st week of May and lost some strength and body weight. Then I got the flue the 3rd week of May and lost some more. But excuses are like assholes so it doesn’t really matter.

Anyway, it obviously was a feasible goal but I just fell short. There are so many threads where people put down a goal to be accountable for it and you never hear from them again. I didn’t want to be one of them so here I am. I’m back up to 305 and will probably hit 315 at the end of the month. Then I’ll make my 365, 405 feasible post lol.
[/quote]

NIce. I think you would have made it had you not have had those problems in May. It looks as if you set a pretty good goal - as you only just (well, would have) made it.

Thanks for coming back to give us an update too.