T Nation

Bench Form?

As a bodybuilder should I tuck my elbows when benching?I’ve heard that this takes lots of stress off the shoulders.Will this still hit my chest as much if I do tuck my elbows.

[quote]BIG_SEXY wrote:
As a bodybuilder should I tuck my elbows when benching?I’ve heard that this takes lots of stress off the shoulders.Will this still hit my chest as much if I do tuck my elbows.[/quote]

No, it will not hit your chest as much; it puts most of the stress on your triceps.

Considered using dumbbells?

Try a close-grip bench press? works chest and triceps, and from my experience, not the shoulders.

I would still tuck your elbows, mainly just for general shoulder health. That still hits your chest a lot, although more stress is transfered to the tris (pecs are still the agonist). If you feel tris are too involved try either doing 3/4 reps where you come all the way down but only go up 3/4 of the way, stopping short of lockout to keep the tension on the chest. Or try pause reps, but I wouldn’t do those all the times. Obviously DB’s and Inclines work as well.

Flaring your elbows out is too high risk IMO to be justifiable, and the more weight you use the more risky it gets.