Bench Form/Leg Position Question for Short Armed Benchers

Just re-watched Dave Tate’s ‘So You Think You Can Bench?’ series, and at the end of the 6th video and beginning of the 7th he shows a second style of benching where your feet are extended further out in front of you so that your knees are lower than your hips. He explains that this is actually a better technique for benchers with short arms (like I have) looking to press in a straight line and that, for the leverages short-armed benchers have, this style actually shortens the range of motion, despite having a smaller arch. He also said this style is great for using more leg drive in your bench.

I usually bench on my toes with my feet as far underneath me as I can get them, while keeping as big of an arch as I can with my ass still touching. I thought this style was best to shorten the ROM for the bench. I’m now planning on trying this 2nd style that Tate shows. He even said he benched with that 2nd style for many years and only changed it up because of a shoulder issue. I was under the impression that these days, the 1st style that he spends 95% of the SYTYCB instructional showing, was king for almost all benchers. Is this not true for short armed benchers?

I wanted to know if anyone, particularly benchers with shorter arms, have any experience with this style and could give any advice on it. Any comments on the difference in the set-ups, arches, leg drive, etc. would be appreciated. Also, any advice on the primary differences for any of the big 3 for shorter limbed lifters would be great, but I’m mainly looking for bench advice. I remember reading posts by Travis Bell about being short armed, so I’ve watched a ton of his youtube vids to work on form. Any other good benchers to watch?

In case you haven’t seen it. http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/features/so-you-think-you-can-bench-get-the-whole-series-here/

Anyone?

on page 2 of this forum

You seem to have a lot of info to use. I would suggest that you find out what works best for you.
I read and listened to many lifters including MM and I found that I bench best when I do what works for me.

Good luck.

BB