Bench Form Help!

There are a lot of very good raw benchers that bench with their feet flat, or close to it. Dan Green being one. When watching video’s of the insanely strong raw benchers, it seems that the only ones that bench with their feet tucked like that are those that have a history in gear.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

[quote]raw bench 556 wrote:
number 1 feet are not flat on the floor
number 2 your drive is straight up instead of back towards uprights
number 3 you just look uncomfortable on the bench.

Benching should be a comfortable lift. Staying tight and driving the weight with your lats, front delts and triceps. Assistance work is the most important thing. Google my name and look up some of my old bench workouts.

Rick Weil [/quote]

I think you and Dave Tate might need to have a conversation.[/quote]

rick weil benched more than dave tate did in a shirt, raw, plus about 50 pounds, weighing about 120 pounds less. you had possibly the greatest bencher ever give you advice there. good job[/quote]

Yes I’m aware of his accolades and certainly respect what he has done. But biomechanically it doesn’t make sense for a human being to be able to bench press more weight with a flat back than an arched back. What works for 99% of powerlifters? Correct, an arch and extreme tension (i.e discomfort). I wasn’t disregarding his 1st 2 critiques. I was simply saying that the bench isn’t a comfortable lift, and Tate is constantly preaching that. No disrespect was meant by my comment.

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

Benching should be a comfortable lift. Staying tight and driving the weight with your lats, front delts and triceps. Assistance work is the most important thing. Google my name and look up some of my old bench workouts.

Rick Weil [/quote]

rick weil benched more than dave tate did in a shirt, raw, plus about 50 pounds, weighing about 120 pounds less. you had possibly the greatest bencher ever give you advice there. good job[/quote]

Yes I’m aware of his accolades and certainly respect what he has done. But biomechanically it doesn’t make sense for a human being to be able to bench press more weight with a flat back than an arched back. What works for 99% of powerlifters? Correct, an arch and extreme tension (i.e discomfort). I wasn’t disregarding his 1st 2 critiques. I was simply saying that the bench isn’t a comfortable lift, and Tate is constantly preaching that. No disrespect was meant by my comment.
[/quote]

Have you ever thought that maybe you should try it. I think you are forgetting that technique cues from a geared lifter (Tate) don’t always apply to a raw lifter. And having arch is not quite the same as being uncomfortable. In some of the old photo’s of Weil he has an arch, just not that crazy one that you showed in your video that very few of the world’s best raw benchers use. Also you will be hard pressed to find a raw bench that doesn’t bench with his feet flat on the floor unless they engrained geared benching patterns in their head.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

Rick Weil [/quote]

[/quote]

it came across that way
im pretty sure a gigantic arch, in the majority of cases, is more beneficial to a geared guy benching to his belly. eric spoto has very little arch. ed coan had very little arch. ted arcidi had very little arch, mike mcdonald, hoornstra doesnt have much of one,the list goes on and on of great benchers with very lttle arch

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

Rick Weil [/quote]

[/quote]

it came across that way
im pretty sure a gigantic arch, in the majority of cases, is more beneficial to a geared guy benching to his belly. eric spoto has very little arch. ed coan had very little arch. ted arcidi had very little arch, mike mcdonald, hoornstra doesnt have much of one,the list goes on and on of great benchers with very lttle arch[/quote]

ultimately, fuckit i dont care what you do, i just find it amusing that youd do anything other than thankhim profusely and ask as many questions as you can if someone of rick weil’s calibre bothered to try and help you

after reading all there, i am little confused about raw bench…so if feet is not tucked under, what most ppl will recommend for bench raw? feet in the front?

[quote]death_ak wrote:
after reading all there, i am little confused about raw bench…so if feet is not tucked under, what most ppl will recommend for bench raw? feet in the front?[/quote]

it depends. theres no universal form for everyone. find what works for you

Pretty good (understatement) raw bencher giving some technique advice.

And some of the best in the world of all time just for fun.

[quote]death_ak wrote:
after reading all there, i am little confused about raw bench…so if feet is not tucked under, what most ppl will recommend for bench raw? feet in the front?[/quote]
Tucking under is all about squeezing the shit out of the bench with your legs and staying tight.
Feet flat
set your back where you want it. Grab the var. Push your back into an arch. Lower your butt and keep pushing back
That’s your set up. Get your feet wide and in front of and focus on driving back the bench. If yiy don’t have your feet in front of you, you’re leg drive will just push your butt up. I can do a video tomorrow showing it if you want me to.

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]death_ak wrote:
Tucking under is all about squeezing the shit out of the bench with your legs and staying tight.
Feet flat
set your back where you want it. Grab the var. Push your back into an arch. Lower your butt and keep pushing back
That’s your set up. Get your feet wide and in front of and focus on driving back the bench. If yiy don’t have your feet in front of you, you’re leg drive will just push your butt up. I can do a video tomorrow showing it if you want me to.[/quote]

Yes please lol

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]death_ak wrote:
Feet flat
That’s your set up. Get your feet wide and in front of and focus on driving back the bench. If yiy don’t have your feet in front of you, you’re leg drive will just push your butt up. I can do a video tomorrow showing it if you want me to.[/quote]

I do feet tuck under when i bench, and flat feet when I do close grip
the only difference i have noticed is my butt may come off bench if I do flat feet
if you could upload a vid, i will be much appreciated.

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]tbean326 wrote:

Rick Weil [/quote]

[/quote]

also, it doesnt fucking matter if it “should” make sense to bench more that way. it helps because geared guys bench to their belly. if it made you bench more raw, then all the guys in the 70s would have done it that way