T Nation

Bench Form Check

I have a meet on the horizon and I want to know if there is anything I can do to press more weight. Any help is greatly appreciated.

this is a single at 90%

Keep your ass on the bench.

And get out of the squat rack. Get a spotter. The only reason you can use the safety pins is your spin is twisted up in that form. Lay flat on the bench, bring the bar down to your chest. Use your legs to drive, push the bar up.

Depends on how much time you have to train. 1 idea that got my bench up a few pounds last year actually was using chains. Do the pause at the bottom and from the chains being on the floor it will add weight on the way up and it gets the triceps more. Got me about 10lbs in about 3 weeks over the summer

Big red Machine your advice is really just not correct, I’m sorry. His arch is awesome and telling him to lie with his back flat on the bench isn’t going to help him press any more weight. This is a powerlifting forum, arching on the bench press helps you stay tight, keep your shoulders healthy, move more weight, etc.

Budreiser, bench looks awesome to me. I honestly can’t tell if your butt is leaving the bench or not, it looks to me like you are just squeezing your hips up really hard but if your butt is leaving, you should obviously be careful because that won’t count in competition. Otherwise, looks really good. Best advice I could give you is to maybe work on bringing the bar down a tiny bit faster. If you can bring it down just a littleeee faster without sacrificing tightness, that could be the difference between getting or missing that third, PR attempt or whatever. But other than that, it looks good. good luck in your meet.

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Keep your ass on the bench.

And get out of the squat rack. Get a spotter. The only reason you can use the safety pins is your spin is twisted up in that form. Lay flat on the bench, bring the bar down to your chest. Use your legs to drive, push the bar up.[/quote]

My gym at school only has racks so that’s why I bench there. I wasn’t super worried about a spotter because that was only a 90% lift.

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
Depends on how much time you have to train. 1 idea that got my bench up a few pounds last year actually was using chains. Do the pause at the bottom and from the chains being on the floor it will add weight on the way up and it gets the triceps more. Got me about 10lbs in about 3 weeks over the summer[/quote]

I’ll try out more chain work once I get more comfortable with sheiko style programming.

[quote]N.K. wrote:
Big red Machine your advice is really just not correct, I’m sorry. His arch is awesome and telling him to lie with his back flat on the bench isn’t going to help him press any more weight. This is a powerlifting forum, arching on the bench press helps you stay tight, keep your shoulders healthy, move more weight, etc.

Budreiser, bench looks awesome to me. I honestly can’t tell if your butt is leaving the bench or not, it looks to me like you are just squeezing your hips up really hard but if your butt is leaving, you should obviously be careful because that won’t count in competition. Otherwise, looks really good. Best advice I could give you is to maybe work on bringing the bar down a tiny bit faster. If you can bring it down just a littleeee faster without sacrificing tightness, that could be the difference between getting or missing that third, PR attempt or whatever. But other than that, it looks good. good luck in your meet.
[/quote]

my butt might be popping up. I’m gonna take a video in my singlet just to be safe. I’ll practice bringing the bar down faster. Thanks

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Keep your ass on the bench.

And get out of the squat rack. Get a spotter. The only reason you can use the safety pins is your spin is twisted up in that form. Lay flat on the bench, bring the bar down to your chest. Use your legs to drive, push the bar up.[/quote]

you give terrible advice in here WAY too often.

OP - arch looks good, everything looks tight. If your ass came off the bench, which it didn’t appear so, then just work on that. Looked like a solid lift. Get a spotter and hand off and you should be hitting 300+ I’ll bet.

Also practice holding it at lockout after you press the weight so the rack command from judges comes natural.

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Keep your ass on the bench.

And get out of the squat rack. Get a spotter. The only reason you can use the safety pins is your spin is twisted up in that form. Lay flat on the bench, bring the bar down to your chest. Use your legs to drive, push the bar up.[/quote]

pls go

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Keep your ass on the bench.

And get out of the squat rack. Get a spotter. The only reason you can use the safety pins is your spin is twisted up in that form. Lay flat on the bench, bring the bar down to your chest. Use your legs to drive, push the bar up.[/quote]

I don’t know what happened your advice used to not be to bad but lately man your really dropping the ball… no offense just check your advice before looking stupid.

I think you guys are giving the bad advice. People are too relaxed with their form.

Back rounded with deadlift…eh who cares, it’s powerlifting
Two inches above parallel squat…it’s fine, it’s heavy weight right, power lifting
Back lifting up off the bench five inches shortening the rom and risking back strain, eh it’s cool, it’s powerlifting bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_dPwQQozc That guy didn’t seem to need to have his back six inches off the bench and putting the bar basically on his stomach to lift weights.

Budrieser your bench looked good. Good bar speed at 90%, I think your good for a lot more. If you butt is popping up stay in the same position your benching now but concentrate on driving your heels down, this will eliminate hips coming off the bench.

Never mind BigRedMachine. Your back/spine is the safest in an arched “packed” position. He obviously doesn’t know anything about spinal erector muscles and how they work.

500lbs for 2, your kidding right. Not taking anything away from Poundstone he is an amazing athlete but in his weight class he wouldn’t even qualify for top 40 benches. Poor choice for video argument.

If you actually knew what you where talking about you wouldnt have an avatar pic with your knees 3" in front of your toes in the squat.

OP, Reed and N.K. among many others always give good advice around here for future reference

Looks good to me. Your arch is great.

Two things to work on if you have a meet coming up. 1, get a hand off, preferably from someone who will be at the meet. You want as much consistency as possible. 2, start working on your commands. Have someone call your press and rack in training. Don’t want to miss a lift from jumping the gun and the pause takes some getting used to.

Im going to have to edit myself. In the pic it looks like your stance is fairly wide but its hard to tell. But if its close stance its pretty hard to squat keeping the knees behind the toes. I shouldnt have jumped the gun so fast on that one but I retract nothing else.

I’ll second what mahwah said, you are going to want to start practicing with a solid pause if you are thinking about competing.

Kid, I think you really under estimate yourself. I honestly dont think that was 90%, you moved it way to fast. I think you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. Arch looks great, keep your ass down on the bench. If I could make one recommendation, hold your breath a little longer. It sounds as though you breath out as soon as you press the weight. I like holding mine just a bit longer, only becaues it forces me to stay tighter.

Looks solid. I’m jealous of your arch actually.

When’s the last time you tested your max? That looked ridiculously easy for 90%

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
I think you guys are giving the bad advice. People are too relaxed with their form.

Back rounded with deadlift…eh who cares, it’s powerlifting
Two inches above parallel squat…it’s fine, it’s heavy weight right, power lifting
Back lifting up off the bench five inches shortening the rom and risking back strain, eh it’s cool, it’s powerlifting bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_dPwQQozc That guy didn’t seem to need to have his back six inches off the bench and putting the bar basically on his stomach to lift weights.[/quote]

LOL…way to pull that video out of your ass as if it’s some kind of proof of what you’re saying. Do you have the video where Poundstone discusses his arched bench and how it injured him? Or how about any video of him benching with an arch so we can compare technique? Good luck finding either of those, dumbass.

And furthermore, what kind of a dipshit talks about “rounded back deadlifting” and posts a clip of a strongman to prove a point? Have you ever even seen Poundstone deadlift? Get out of here, rookie.

Go find us some evidence to support your claim that an arched bench stresses the back excessively…we’ll be waiting.

@prickely I’m not 100% sure I’ll have a lift off guy at my meet so I’ve been training without one.

@mahwah I’ve been working on pausing more in training. I’ll try to grab somebody to call my racks in training.

@popeye thanks I’ll give it a shot tomorrow

@chicksan thanks it means a lot. The breathing is just a bad habit that’s carried over from when I started training.

@hooligan I tested my max about 2 weeks ago

I bench with an arch like that. Have any of you guys had injuries arching hard? I’ve had minor back pain the next day a couple times - I guess using a belt on these heavy sets would help.