Bench = El Sucko

For the powerlifter folk 'round here, what’s a good secondary exercise for shoulders, particularly for strengthening bench about 4-6 inches off the chest. I’ve tried partial’s and strip the rack, but neither have helped much. I’m also throwing in more speed word. Much thanks in advance.

search up on 1 2 and 3 board presses.

2 Boards, and Floor Presses

I’ve done board presses with a 4"er, and it didn’t help terribly much. I’ll try scrounging up a 2" or 3". With floor presses, I stop before I enter the “sticking” range.

For me speed work has been the biggest help, if you’re raw make pause rep and then explode. I noticed a differnce in 3 weeks.

I’m gonna start doing illegal wides (gripping about a half thumbs length outside the rings)I’ve heard of good results from that too.

And hammer dumbell presses too.

And get stronger lats.

I had a sticking point there too. Pin press(if available) just before and at the sticking point, with a couple seconds pause while the bar rested on the pins broke through it.
Them and pin presses from the bottom.

4 and 5 board presses are more for your lockout. Stick to 1 and 2 board presses. Come down touch on the board and let it sink in and explode up as fast as you can. The speed work is crucial, just make sure you’re not going too heavy. The main thing is to increase your bar speed and that won’t happen if you have too much weight on the bar. It should be 55-60% of your max bench. The low pin presses were also a good suggestion. There is an article on this site by Dave Tate that discusses problems with the bench you should check out also.

Remember on your heavy days no matter what the weight, explode off of your chest. You’re not going to build the explosion you need by lifting slow. Good Luck. Westside bench training kicks ass.

Good stuff, thanks again all. When I hit my goal, I’ll try and post it.

Excellent post!

Hey man, check out this article by Jim Wendler on Elitefts called “How to Bench Like a Stripper” (no shirt):

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bench_like_a_stripper.htm

Anyway, I started doing military presses and that helped and so does speed work. Hope this helps.

DD

[quote]Devil0351Dog wrote:
Hey man, check out this article by Jim Wendler on Elitefts called “How to Bench Like a Stripper” (no shirt):

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bench_like_a_stripper.htm

Anyway, I started doing military presses and that helped and so does speed work. Hope this helps.

DD[/quote]

much like Wendler states in his article I have found overhead pressing and/or dumbell pressing to be very important. I just have to be carefull as lots of heavy full range benching and overhead pressing gets counter productive for me (overstresses the shoulders)