T Nation

Bench Critique Video

I’m a pretty damn bad bencher. This is 220 touch and go and I compete in the 148’s. I know this is partially cause I have long arms but I was wondering if people could pick out any other technical points that might help.

I can only say elbows seems to flare too early

how the EFF do you bend that way?? cheese and rice!! I think you took a breath or two after you took the bar. Maybe stop that. Maybe let the bar settle a bit before pressing. You seemed to grip and rip so to speak.

EDIT** - ok dude, I’ve watched the video literally 20 times from the 10 second point until you lock the bar out. What I’m seeing is that you lower the bar and you touch a bit high. What I mean by that is as soon as you start to press it seems as if you roll your elbows under the bar to get your press going. You seem to be touching just below the nipple. In case you didn’t pay attention you have a sick arch ;). I think you are giving up an inch or two my not touching at your sternum / upper belly, which is the highest part of your arch, but the dark shirt makes it hard to tell exactly. Watch the vid again and see if you can see what I’m saying.

…And tell us how to get arc like that?

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
how the EFF do you bend that way?? cheese and rice!! I think you took a breath or two after you took the bar. Maybe stop that. Maybe let the bar settle a bit before pressing. You seemed to grip and rip so to speak.

EDIT** - ok dude, I’ve watched the video literally 20 times from the 10 second point until you lock the bar out. What I’m seeing is that you lower the bar and you touch a bit high. What I mean by that is as soon as you start to press it seems as if you roll your elbows under the bar to get your press going. You seem to be touching just below the nipple. In case you didn’t pay attention you have a sick arch ;). I think you are giving up an inch or two my not touching at your sternum / upper belly, which is the highest part of your arch, but the dark shirt makes it hard to tell exactly. Watch the vid again and see if you can see what I’m saying. [/quote]

ahhh okay i see exactly what you mean. ive been fighting with that a bit because it feels like a much stronger groove if i touch higher but its a longer press so I’m trying to touch low then quickly drive it back.

Thanks for the compliments on the arch guys. I had to do yoga twice a week for rowing in college haha

Some thoughts.

• The setup looks pretty good to me.
  • Only thing that looks funny is the little bar dip after taking it out and before descending.
  • Why do you think your form is a problem? Maybe you are simply too weak to press more. After all you are very light. And for those of us who don’t have particularly talent for the bench (almost all people), getting a bigger upper body is crucial for progress.
  • How does your setup/form feel to YOU? Does it feel strong/natural/efficient to you even under heavy weights? This is how I approach the problem with form/setup issues.
  • Have you tried placing your feet closer to the bench to have a little more leg drive? Might be worth a shot.