T Nation

Bench Competition in August

Hey everyone im new to this section of the forum as usually I train for looks and watch my diet and judge progress on how I look in the mirror, not neccesarily what I’m one rep maxing (I dont follow powerlifting).

The other day in my gym a buddy of mine who happens to be a powerlifter told me about this bench press competition on August 11th. I wasn’t to eager at first because bench for whatever reason has been a lagging lift of mine and when I compete in anything I like to be in it to win it. As I thought more about it tho I realized it would be a good way to get this lagging lift up to par with my other lifts and how badass would it be to win a weightlifting trophy :slight_smile: ? I have a good amount of time to prepare as well so i signed up for it.

This is my plan of attack training wise for the competition:

Waterburys Total Strength Program (bench press routine)
March 24th- June 1st (10wks)
Advanced German Volume Training
June1st-July26th (8wks)
Back To Waterburys TSP to prep up
July 28th-August 7th (2wks)
Competition Aug. 11th.

Has anyone had experiences with these programs? (particularly the T.S.P.)

Im waiting till after springbreak to start as my current goal is to be a lean mofo come beach time, then im going to pack on the calories/carbs. My current 1RM is a measely 245 (but im on a lowww carb lifestyle and am a bit weaker than usual). My goal is to be one repping at least 315 by comp date (raw, then ill hop into a freinds powerlifting suit and who knows how much more I’ll press with one of those things on?). Has anyone put 70+ lbs on their bench in 4 months with no gear?

I don’t think it’s impossible to gain 70+ pounds, especially at your poundages, but it won’t be easy.

Personally, I wouldn’t wait until spring to start bench training. I would also use more bench-focused programs, nothing too cookie-cutter. You need to be able to adapt to your own needs and weaknesses quickly.

Good luck.

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
Hey everyone im new to this section of the forum as usually I train for looks and watch my diet and judge progress on how I look in the mirror, not neccesarily what I’m one rep maxing (I dont follow powerlifting).

The other day in my gym a buddy of mine who happens to be a powerlifter told me about this bench press competition on August 11th. I wasn’t to eager at first because bench for whatever reason has been a lagging lift of mine and when I compete in anything I like to be in it to win it. As I thought more about it tho I realized it would be a good way to get this lagging lift up to par with my other lifts and how badass would it be to win a weightlifting trophy :slight_smile: ? I have a good amount of time to prepare as well so i signed up for it.

This is my plan of attack training wise for the competition:

Waterburys Total Strength Program (bench press routine)
March 24th- June 1st (10wks)
Advanced German Volume Training
June1st-July26th (8wks)
Back To Waterburys TSP to prep up
July 28th-August 7th (2wks)
Competition Aug. 11th.

Has anyone had experiences with these programs? (particularly the T.S.P.)

Im waiting till after springbreak to start as my current goal is to be a lean mofo come beach time, then im going to pack on the calories/carbs. My current 1RM is a measely 245 (but im on a lowww carb lifestyle and am a bit weaker than usual). My goal is to be one repping at least 315 by comp date (raw, then ill hop into a freinds powerlifting suit and who knows how much more I’ll press with one of those things on?). Has anyone put 70+ lbs on their bench in 4 months with no gear? [/quote]

It’s very difficult to gain 70 pounds on your raw bench press in 4 months.

I don’t use the above programs. I use a hybrid WestSide/Metal Militia style.

If you are going to compete in the bp competition, I would focus a lot on good bp technique/form in the gym. Also, increase your protein intake too.

[b]TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL [/b]

You can’t just “hop into” a bench shirt and expect to lift an extra 100 lbs or whatever. It takes time to work it in and get familiar with the groove.

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say yes it is possible. I’ve seen people put 50lbs on their bench in a few weeks by getting their form correct. Read this article.
www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-technique.htm

If you’re planning on lifting in a shirt you need to devote at LEAST a few weeks to training in it before the meet. Thinking you can just put it on and press more shows you don’t know anything about training for this kind of event.

Im actually not planning on getting into a suit unless a freind or someone lets me borrow theirs and im assuming not to many people will want my sweaty nuts in their gear. The goal is 315+ raw (any lower than 315 i will not compete)! JStreet thanks for the technique article I look forward to applying it next bench session.

Six months from now I will post a pic of me holding up a trophy for my efforts. Peace!

Im not quite sure how you use them but im pretty sure you dont put your nuts in them.

i couldn’t even do 205 september (though i had benched 235 a year or so earlier) and now bench 265. I have a bench bet i need to win by april, and i think i’ll need to bench 315. I’m trying CT’s 8 weeks to a record bench, which claims an average of 40 lbs increase (between 30-65) in 8 weeks. Seems like a pretty sweet program if your willing to temporarily halt progress on other lifts.