T Nation

Bench Bruises Back?

I got home today after doing Chest/Triceps and when I took my shirt off my fiancee noticed a huge bruise on my back where the edge of the bench had been. I was doing Lying Dumbell Fly’s/Benchpress and Lying Tricep Extension like it says in Chris Shugarts Basic Training for Beginners Dawg School article.

I’m not sure what’s causing it but someone said I might be Anemic or coming down with Diabetes, I know I’ve been tired a lot lately but I figured that was just the workout, and I haven’t ever bruised like this before that I recall. It’s pretty big and the only place that’s sore is right behind my right shoulder blade.

That happens to me quite often. I don’t know what causes it, but I don’t think it’s much to worry about. In my case it’s probably just my crappy excuse for a bench.

Well I’m just hoping it’s not some blood disease, I think one of my grandparents is a diabetic and my vitamin intake isn’t all that great but I’ve started taking Centrum as my daily multi-vitamin. I also take L-Lysine because my teeth rest on the insides of my cheeks so I get a lot of sores in my mouth. Other than that I’ve thought about taking an iron supplement or something.

Ack, double post, this forums timing confuses me lol

Anyone else got any advice? I can go see a doctor about it, but I think it might be Anemia because the only Iron I get really is from Centrum which is 18g or something.

[quote]Reverend Sin wrote:
Ack, double post, this forums timing confuses me lol[/quote]

The posts don’t show up right away because the forums here are moderated. They usually show up within the half hour though.

I’m sure it was the the exercises. I get the sample things when I bench and squat. If the bruises do not show signs of fading I think I would have it checked out. Hopefully that will not be the case

I used to get two bruises running next to the backbone in the middle of my back (middle part of trapezius) after benching.

I was not holding my shoulder blades back and tight. Once I held them tight I did not get the bruises.

I also once got bruises when using a wide bench. The width of the bench made the movement concentrate the load right on the outside of the bench. Maybe you used a bench that was too wide or did not have enough padding.

i used to get the bruises as well. as for your situation i would definitly give your doc a call and see what he says he might want to see you or he may just tell you its fine over the phone. whens the last time you had your blood surgar tested? dont fuck around with diabetes, make sure your ok by checking with your doc then let us know how everything checks out.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
i used to get the bruises as well. as for your situation i would definitly give your doc a call and see what he says he might want to see you or he may just tell you its fine over the phone. whens the last time you had your blood surgar tested? dont fuck around with diabetes, make sure your ok by checking with your doc then let us know how everything checks out.[/quote]

I’ve actually never had any type of blood testing, last time i was at the doctor was 4 years ago when they diagnosed me with two abdominal hernias (one on left of lower abdomen, one on the right). I was told that I went into Diabetic Shock once when I was down to consuming 1000 calories a day and working out too hard in my kickboxing class, but eating more took care of that.

I haven’t called the doctor yet as I don’t have medical insurance but if the bruises start appearing again next week I’ll have it looked into more. I just completed the first full week of Chris Shugarts “Beginners Blast Off Program” and I’m really sore but don’t see any more bruising. Thanks for the advice guys.