T Nation

Bench: Bottom Portion

It seems a lot of the bench variations (board presses, rack lockouts, floor presses, etc.) are designed for the later portion of the lift. I can get to where i get two reps up of a weight and then i just die on the bottom. i remember reading that the lats are a big section of getting the weight off your chest, so are lat exercises the key? anything you have would be appreciated.

Lats, delts and speed my friend. If you are strong enough to stay tight at the bottom and keep bar in the correct groove and explosive enough to give it that initial burst the weight it then becomes more of a tricep exercise.

go to elitefts.com and read “how to bench like a stripper” by jim wendler

also, DB presses-paused for 2 seconds at the bottom
-t-bar rows
-bent over rows
-pulldowns
-chuck-v pulldowns
-facepulls
everything

just touch your shirt with the bar, not your chest.

Pause benches work well for me.

Just lower the bar and hold it on the chest for a count of three before you press.

I would not put floor presses in the same category as lockouts. Floor presses are for the bottom half of the bench press. In fact, my floor press is worse that my raw bench because you are forced to pause with your triceps on the floor.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
I would not put floor presses in the same category as lockouts. Floor presses are for the bottom half of the bench press. In fact, my floor press is worse that my raw bench because you are forced to pause with your triceps on the floor.[/quote]

It really depends on how long your arms are. A floor press for me = 3 board press with no leg drive, so it’s almost completely triceps. In competition you’d be forced to pause anyways.

Dumbbell presses with a neutral grip. Althought no one has a sticking point at the bottom you just have too much weight on the bar.

rack presses, set it up so that you start with the weight basically on your chest.

i would advise against that though and stick to other accessory movements (db presses etc)

rack presses like that change your bench groove.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
rack presses, set it up so that you start with the weight basically on your chest.

i would advise against that though and stick to other accessory movements (db presses etc)

rack presses like that change your bench groove.[/quote]

I’m not a big fan of rack presses, as I find it extremely difficult to keep the weight in the groove.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
rack presses, set it up so that you start with the weight basically on your chest.

i would advise against that though and stick to other accessory movements (db presses etc)

rack presses like that change your bench groove.

I’m not a big fan of rack presses, as I find it extremely difficult to keep the weight in the groove.[/quote]

Maybe try board presses, then?