T Nation

Bench Belt Suggestions

First off, anyone see any down sides to using a bench belt for squats and deadlift? I have a short torse and fear that a regular 4" belt might be uncomfortable - I’d also be looking to pick up a quality belt, so I don’t want to get something only to find out that I’ve spent a lot of money on a belt I won’t use.

What are some good bench belts? I’d be using it for squats, deads, and overhead presses. Was looking at APT, but seems like some people have issues with quality.

Thanks for any help.

If you’re worried about a 4 inch belt being uncomfortable, I’d get a 10mm 4 inch belt. I wouldn’t get a bench belt as your only belt.

one of the guys I train with just took a bandsaw to the back of an old lever belt and cut the width way down. Still IPF legal.

I use a 2" titan lever belt to hold down my bench shirt, and a 4" 10mm regular belt. The bench belt is no bueno for me for squats and deads, it’s too narrow, but it is great for bench work as it does not interfere with my arch.

How short are you? I think you’ll be fine witha normal 4 inch belt

A tad under 5’6.

[quote]Keving14 wrote:
A tad under 5’6.[/quote]

I’m 5’5". I think the key is how big you arch. If you arch and have a short waist, you need a narrow belt. If your arch is small or you’re relatively long waisted, you could be fine with a 4" belt.

Yeah thats what I was thinking as I have a short waist and do arch some. Thanks

I just don’t see a bench belt providing enough support for the squat or deadlift. I can’t imagine a 4inch belt impeding your squat form

Yeah I think your going to have to invest in 2 different belts, one for benching and one for others. This thread gave me an idea for a bench belt, I have an old monster back leather weight belt, I think i am going to cut it down so it is the same width all the way around. Anyone else ever do this?

Shit, buy a 4 inch belt and use a normal clothes belt to hold your shirt down when you bench.

That’s basically the only reason to wear a belt. haha

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Shit, buy a 4 inch belt and use a normal clothes belt to hold your shirt down when you bench.

That’s basically the only reason to wear a belt. haha[/quote]

This too. I used a normal clothes belt until I started tearing out the eyelets, and got 1/2 off at Titan. Lucky the two things coincided.

Eh, sorry for the confusion, I don’t use a belt or suit for benching. The whole bench belt recom. was for use on just MP, Deads, Squat. As above, Im concerned with the belt being to big (4" vs 2.5") for my shorter torso.

[quote]Keving14 wrote:
Eh, sorry for the confusion, I don’t use a belt or suit for benching. The whole bench belt recom. was for use on just MP, Deads, Squat. As above, Im concerned with the belt being to big (4" vs 2.5") for my shorter torso.[/quote]

We both have short torsos, and I would never use a bench belt for squatting or deadlifting. As you can see in my avatar, I use the full 4" belt. Sometimes I bruise on my hips or ribs, but I think a lot of that is because I’m female and have a much narrower waist than hips. Get a real belt.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Keving14 wrote:
Eh, sorry for the confusion, I don’t use a belt or suit for benching. The whole bench belt recom. was for use on just MP, Deads, Squat. As above, Im concerned with the belt being to big (4" vs 2.5") for my shorter torso.

We both have short torsos, and I would never use a bench belt for squatting or deadlifting. As you can see in my avatar, I use the full 4" belt. Sometimes I bruise on my hips or ribs, but I think a lot of that is because I’m female and have a much narrower waist than hips. Get a real belt.[/quote]

Will do. Thanks for the help.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

That’s basically the only reason to wear a belt. haha

This too. I used a normal clothes belt until I started tearing out the eyelets, and got 1/2 off at Titan. Lucky the two things coincided.[/quote]

We have never used anything but a regular clothes belt for a bench belt. The key is to find a webbed nylon belt, double prong, with metal eyelets. These last a long time.

The problem we typically had with the leather 2X prong is they eventually just break. I have a video of me benching at a meet with a shirt that was jacked up and my fucking leather belt snapped. It was hilarious because it made a loud popping noise and both the spotters jumped and looked at each other like WTF?

I have the video somewhere, it got some play on youtube for a little while courtesy of one of my evil training partners.