T Nation

Bench Arching...

my arch bench is 315, before my flat bench was 260 thats why i changed. now i’ve been doing flat bench with crappy endurance not used to it yet i guess. i do flat bench on monday, on my upper day, and close grip flat bench on my upper day thurs…

I want to do arch bench, can i do arch wide bench mon, and arch close grip thurs? and fuck flat? cuz i cant even stay flat, my back arches alot now naturally!

soooo. will that work my triceps still arched close grip?

anyone?

You might wanna post this in the ‘strength sports’ forum, experienced powerlifters might be more helpful :slight_smile:

S

I arch all my sets because that is how i would bench at a meet, so why not practice form?

Getting a good arch is very technical and takes a long time to get it just right, so using it in training makes a lot of sense to me. This is something i figured was very common but i don’t know.

You can stimulate your muscles better doing a set of 275lbx3 with an arch, then 220lbx3 without one…

By arch, do you mean setting up with a space under your lower back or lifting your ass up while pressing?

If you want to get the biggest bench, you will arch on every set, wider grip also. This will allow you to use the most muscles possible and less rom= bigger bench. It is pretty damn hard to get a good arch, the Japanese bencher’s have some of the best technique and thats why they are best bencher’s in the world.

Here is little blob about how some of the Japanese bench, one key is using huge pvc pipes to help get a big arch. Eventually you will need very flexible hips also to get your legs out very wide and feet flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKm0gxGWkjM women tend to be more flexible so they have pretty good technique. This is good video of what I would consider a solid bench set up.-heeled shoes help also keep the feet flat-

Perfecting the technique in the bench will take time, more so if you decide to use gear but its how you will get the most out of your bench.

For bodybuilding dumbbells are pretty good, and flat bench all the way since that is harder and focuses on the chest more.-This is in the strength forum though, so the above advice is for getting a big bench-

[quote]matso1236 wrote:
I arch all my sets because that is how i would bench at a meet, so why not practice form?

Getting a good arch is very technical and takes a long time to get it just right, so using it in training makes a lot of sense to me. This is something i figured was very common but i don’t know.

You can stimulate your muscles better doing a set of 275lbx3 with an arch, then 220lbx3 without one…[/quote]

Hm, I can see how arched benching would work you harder. But because the bar ends up not going as low, isnt your chest worked less? I suppose its made up for by using a wider grip perhaps?

[quote]shizen wrote:
If you want to get the biggest bench, you will arch on every set, wider grip also. This will allow you to use the most muscles possible and less rom= bigger bench. It is pretty damn hard to get a good arch, the Japanese bencher’s have some of the best technique and thats why they are best bencher’s in the world.

Here is little blob about how some of the Japanese bench, one key is using huge pvc pipes to help get a big arch. Eventually you will need very flexible hips also to get your legs out very wide and feet flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKm0gxGWkjM women tend to be more flexible so they have pretty good technique. This is good video of what I would consider a solid bench set up.-heeled shoes help also keep the feet flat-

Perfecting the technique in the bench will take time, more so if you decide to use gear but its how you will get the most out of your bench.

For bodybuilding dumbbells are pretty good, and flat bench all the way since that is harder and focuses on the chest more.-This is in the strength forum though, so the above advice is for getting a big bench-

[/quote]

That arch was AMAZING… she destroyed that lift!

[quote]Thelonghorn wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
I arch all my sets because that is how i would bench at a meet, so why not practice form?

Getting a good arch is very technical and takes a long time to get it just right, so using it in training makes a lot of sense to me. This is something i figured was very common but i don’t know.

You can stimulate your muscles better doing a set of 275lbx3 with an arch, then 220lbx3 without one…

Hm, I can see how arched benching would work you harder. But because the bar ends up not going as low, isn’t your chest worked less? I suppose its made up for by using a wider grip perhaps?[/quote]

I don’t get what you are trying to say, in powerlifting your arch is your full ROM bench or that is the impression that i am under.

The only way to shorten the ROM is to use boards, in competition you wont be flat, so in training if you can get it off your chest with an arch you will get it off your chest with an arch in competition (pause aside). It doesn’t matter if you are weak off the chest with no arch because in competition you will use an arch (sorry if its confusing)

The only time i can see maybe benching flat would help is if you have trouble getting the weight off your chest WITH YOUR ARCH to begin with, but then again shoulders and technique IMO will help you more with that kind of sticking point…

[quote]Thelonghorn wrote:
shizen wrote:
If you want to get the biggest bench, you will arch on every set, wider grip also. This will allow you to use the most muscles possible and less rom= bigger bench. It is pretty damn hard to get a good arch, the Japanese bencher’s have some of the best technique and thats why they are best bencher’s in the world.

Here is little blob about how some of the Japanese bench, one key is using huge pvc pipes to help get a big arch. Eventually you will need very flexible hips also to get your legs out very wide and feet flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKm0gxGWkjM women tend to be more flexible so they have pretty good technique. This is good video of what I would consider a solid bench set up.-heeled shoes help also keep the feet flat-

Perfecting the technique in the bench will take time, more so if you decide to use gear but its how you will get the most out of your bench.

For bodybuilding dumbbells are pretty good, and flat bench all the way since that is harder and focuses on the chest more.-This is in the strength forum though, so the above advice is for getting a big bench-

That arch was AMAZING… she destroyed that lift![/quote]

She’d get more out of that arch if she touched lower. She can reduce her stroke by a few inches just by bringing those elbows in.

[quote]matso1236 wrote:
Thelonghorn wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
I arch all my sets because that is how i would bench at a meet, so why not practice form?

Getting a good arch is very technical and takes a long time to get it just right, so using it in training makes a lot of sense to me. This is something i figured was very common but i don’t know.

You can stimulate your muscles better doing a set of 275lbx3 with an arch, then 220lbx3 without one…

Hm, I can see how arched benching would work you harder. But because the bar ends up not going as low, isn’t your chest worked less? I suppose its made up for by using a wider grip perhaps?

I don’t get what you are trying to say, in powerlifting your arch is your full ROM bench or that is the impression that i am under.

The only way to shorten the ROM is to use boards, in competition you wont be flat, so in training if you can get it off your chest with an arch you will get it off your chest with an arch in competition (pause aside). It doesn’t matter if you are weak off the chest with no arch because in competition you will use an arch (sorry if its confusing)

The only time i can see maybe benching flat would help is if you have trouble getting the weight off your chest WITH YOUR ARCH to begin with, but then again shoulders and technique IMO will help you more with that kind of sticking point…[/quote]

Ok to clarify I mean by arching, you have a smaller ROM and part of the lift is taken out (More-so the bottom, which is most chest).

So basically what im saying is, but using a reduced ROM bench, aren’t you essentially working your chest less because the mid-top part of the lift is more tricep/shoulders.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
Thelonghorn wrote:
shizen wrote:
If you want to get the biggest bench, you will arch on every set, wider grip also. This will allow you to use the most muscles possible and less rom= bigger bench. It is pretty damn hard to get a good arch, the Japanese bencher’s have some of the best technique and thats why they are best bencher’s in the world.

Here is little blob about how some of the Japanese bench, one key is using huge pvc pipes to help get a big arch. Eventually you will need very flexible hips also to get your legs out very wide and feet flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKm0gxGWkjM women tend to be more flexible so they have pretty good technique. This is good video of what I would consider a solid bench set up.-heeled shoes help also keep the feet flat-

Perfecting the technique in the bench will take time, more so if you decide to use gear but its how you will get the most out of your bench.

For bodybuilding dumbbells are pretty good, and flat bench all the way since that is harder and focuses on the chest more.-This is in the strength forum though, so the above advice is for getting a big bench-

That arch was AMAZING… she destroyed that lift!

She’d get more out of that arch if she touched lower. She can reduce her stroke by a few inches just by bringing those elbows in.[/quote]

The Japanese actually do the same as her apparently by bringing elbows out, it puts much more strain on the rotator cuff but apparently helps in a bigger bench.

[quote]Thelonghorn wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
Thelonghorn wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
I arch all my sets because that is how i would bench at a meet, so why not practice form?

Getting a good arch is very technical and takes a long time to get it just right, so using it in training makes a lot of sense to me. This is something i figured was very common but i don’t know.

You can stimulate your muscles better doing a set of 275lbx3 with an arch, then 220lbx3 without one…

Hm, I can see how arched benching would work you harder. But because the bar ends up not going as low, isn’t your chest worked less? I suppose its made up for by using a wider grip perhaps?

I don’t get what you are trying to say, in powerlifting your arch is your full ROM bench or that is the impression that i am under.

The only way to shorten the ROM is to use boards, in competition you wont be flat, so in training if you can get it off your chest with an arch you will get it off your chest with an arch in competition (pause aside). It doesn’t matter if you are weak off the chest with no arch because in competition you will use an arch (sorry if its confusing)

The only time i can see maybe benching flat would help is if you have trouble getting the weight off your chest WITH YOUR ARCH to begin with, but then again shoulders and technique IMO will help you more with that kind of sticking point…

Ok to clarify I mean by arching, you have a smaller ROM and part of the lift is taken out (More-so the bottom, which is most chest).

So basically what im saying is, but using a reduced ROM bench, aren’t you essentially working your chest less because the mid-top part of the lift is more tricep/shoulders. [/quote]

This is the strength forum, using a big arch your using more muscles then just a flat bench-more triceps, more back, more leg drive- by doing this you get the most out of your bench. If all you care about is growth, then a completely flat bench is probably better for you-bringing the bar higher also instead of lower, putting even more stress on the chest-

[quote]shizen wrote:
Thelonghorn wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
Thelonghorn wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
I arch all my sets because that is how i would bench at a meet, so why not practice form?

Getting a good arch is very technical and takes a long time to get it just right, so using it in training makes a lot of sense to me. This is something i figured was very common but i don’t know.

You can stimulate your muscles better doing a set of 275lbx3 with an arch, then 220lbx3 without one…

Hm, I can see how arched benching would work you harder. But because the bar ends up not going as low, isn’t your chest worked less? I suppose its made up for by using a wider grip perhaps?

I don’t get what you are trying to say, in powerlifting your arch is your full ROM bench or that is the impression that i am under.

The only way to shorten the ROM is to use boards, in competition you wont be flat, so in training if you can get it off your chest with an arch you will get it off your chest with an arch in competition (pause aside). It doesn’t matter if you are weak off the chest with no arch because in competition you will use an arch (sorry if its confusing)

The only time i can see maybe benching flat would help is if you have trouble getting the weight off your chest WITH YOUR ARCH to begin with, but then again shoulders and technique IMO will help you more with that kind of sticking point…

Ok to clarify I mean by arching, you have a smaller ROM and part of the lift is taken out (More-so the bottom, which is most chest).

So basically what im saying is, but using a reduced ROM bench, aren’t you essentially working your chest less because the mid-top part of the lift is more tricep/shoulders.

This is the strength forum, using a big arch your using more muscles then just a flat bench-more triceps, more back, more leg drive- by doing this you get the most out of your bench. If all you care about is growth, then a completely flat bench is probably better for you-bringing the bar higher also instead of lower, putting even more stress on the chest- [/quote]

Not only concerned about growth, just asking how it all works.

Basically, just find a technique that works for you. Bench more with an arch? Then arch. Bench more with a wide grip? Use a wide grip…

for big bench, arch as much and as hard as you can… I got my bench from 130 at 75kg class to 250 at 90kg class in less than 2 years, same shirt, 10kg heavier, 120kg bigger bench, just by practising arch…

as far as muscle isolation, you’ll get a lot less with an arch… so you’ll need more assistance work sets to keep muscle stronger… the way I think about it, when I prepare for the meet, first I do movements then I do muscles…

I barely grew while I was training arched bench… I could press more and more, and keep adding weight to my bench, but muscle size stayed the same, sometime even dropped…

now, I stopped flet benching for 2 weeks and I do inclines only… I’m more into muscle isolation now, to feel the muscles being worked, not weight being lifted, and on FLAT bench, by default my back arches, so I just use inclines, DB’s etc.

but for big number ARCH as hard as possible, bar to the belly, wide grip (will take some time to get used to it if you havent used it), elbows in on the way down, and out on the way UP, shoulders pulled together at all times during the lift (you’ll need extra trap work for this maybe)… stretch the quads and hips… so you can get your legs further back…

lower back stretches are not as needed, I never did them, because back is actually in FLEXED position, not stretched position during an arch, and quads are stretched for example…

make sure you understand every aspect of big arching to get it to maximum, just laying on the bar and trying to arch more and more will get you only so far… sometimes you’ll need special work…

on my videos, on this site, you can see one old video (2 years old) of me practising and showing the arch for RAW bench, technique differs a little bit, cause you cant use your hands to push away from the rack, but I developed both techniques very well, as well as feet flat on the floor or toes only…

video was only made for myself so I can see how it looks from outside, but I posted it here, maybe it can help someone…

gavra

thanks for the insight