T Nation

Bench Arching Question

i’m relatively new to benching, and after watching dave tate’s instructional video a few times, i’m still a bit confused about the arch; is my butt supposed to remain in contact with the bench while i’m driving with my legs? i’ve seen people at my gym let their butt come off while driving out some reps but i feel like i read somewhere that that should be avoided.

In a powerlifting meet your butt must remain on the bench. So your back is arched high with your upper back and butt still on the bench.

If your butt comes off the bench in competition, you will get red lighted for it. Thus, you want to keep it on the bench.

It takes practice, but you can get tons of leg drive without your ass off the bench. Your best bet would be to find some PLers in your area and work with them.

it also puts your back in a bad postion when you lift it off the bench, in a sense overall you are less secure as you have much less contact with the surface. keep it planted!

Spread your legs wider if you’re coming off the bench. That’s what I do.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Spread your legs wider if you’re coming off the bench. That’s what I do.[/quote]

This is good advice, too. When I set up, my femurs/feet are each pointed out about 45 degrees from the bench. (My legs are at about a 90 degree angle from each other.) It’s a little uncomfortable, but it keeps my ass on the bench.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Spread your legs wider if you’re coming off the bench. That’s what I do.[/quote]

This is good advice, too. When I set up, my femurs/feet are each pointed out about 45 degrees from the bench. (My legs are at about a 90 degree angle from each other.) It’s a little uncomfortable, but it keeps my ass on the bench.[/quote]

i believe Dave Tate keeps a really wide leg stance as well, i find i can get alot more power if my feet are close in and my feet as far back behind my knees as possible, but my ass does pop up once in a while if i dont think about it

some really good tips here…remember the leg drive is towards the back of the bench, not up, that should help too

ok thanks guys; even since i posted this my leg drive has been improving. i’ll try to consider/incorporate some of this stuff.

Thanks for the question…and the answers, I’ve been wondering how to fix this for a few weeks now.