Bench: All Sets In a Row?

For example, if I am doing bench one day, is it better to do all the sets of bench, resting after each set, or is it better to intersperse an exercise opposite to bench, say bent rows?

I have been tending to do the latter and I am wondering if by doing this I am possibly compromising my lifting potential in both exercises. Thankyou for any help–I’m just a scrawny beginner trying to get started.

Doing a set of bench press with a set of rows after is called supersetting, or antagonist/protagonist type training. Generaly considered good, but also a bit advanced. Maybee get a good foothold on the fundamentals before going for that type of lifting.
Good luck and keep at it.

[quote]feverdog wrote:
For example, if I am doing bench one day, is it better to do all the sets of bench, resting after each set, or is it better to intersperse an exercise opposite to bench, say bent rows?

I have been tending to do the latter and I am wondering if by doing this I am possibly compromising my lifting potential in both exercises. Thankyou for any help–I’m just a scrawny beginner trying to get started.[/quote]

What you’re referring to is called “supersetting” (alternating sets between antagonistic muscle groups).

There’s no right or wrong answer to your question. You’ll find programs on this site that include supersets and others that don’t. I’d say the important thing is to stay open minded to ALL kinds and types of training. It’s the only way to find what works best for you. I would stick with whatever you’re doing now for a couple months, then switch it up with a workout that includes supersets.

If you switch up your routine every time you come across a new training method, you won’t be doing the same workout for more than 5 days - especially if you frequent this site often!

Nick

Both are great. mix it up and use them both at various times.

I agree with the above posters. I’ll only add that stay with one for a few weeks, don’t switch all the time. That way you can really determine which works best for you. After you know, stick with it longer than the alternative, but keep switching every few weeks.

Rolo.

What if you were to do a set of bench and then say sit ups or russian twists? Is that recommended or discouraged?

[quote]feverdog wrote:
What if you were to do a set of bench and then say sit ups or russian twists? Is that recommended or discouraged?[/quote]

Again, I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with supersetting bench and sit-ups. However, supersetting antagonistic muscle groups tends to help minimize muscle imbalances.

Nick

[quote]feverdog wrote:
What if you were to do a set of bench and then say sit ups or russian twists? Is that recommended or discouraged?[/quote]

No problem there at all, as long as you’re not exhausting yourself or taking too long between sets for both.

I wouldn’t superset/do compound sets yet if you’re a rank beginner, though, as lifting is more practicing than anything the first few weeks or so. After you get a good hang of form, unless you’re training for powerlifting and need that extra 5% on your bench press, go for it.

-Dan