Bench Advice/ Friends Want My Help

I have two questions I would like to ask.

First off, I do not have a bench. I am currently looking for one. But at the moment would it be more beneficial or detrimental to continue pressing on my smith machine? I know that using the smith machine will make it harder to go back to regular bench, because my stabilizing muscles will be weaker. What are some ways I can keep myself from getting too bad with the regular bench to hold me off until I can procure a bench press?

Secondly, 3 of my close friends have seen that I have really progressed in the past year in my lifting, and want my help to see some results similar to mine. They have all done some weight lifting at one time or another, but nothing serious, so they know a lot of the general idea of how most exercises work.

I have lifted on and off since I was 13 for football and other sports so I know good form, how to correctly work certain muscles, and the science behind a lot of how things work. But what I do not know is how to approach creating a routine and apply it to anyone other than myself. So I can see this as an opportunity to increase my knowledge and help my friends out.

I just got done with one friend today and it was his first day. And it went a little bit like this.

Bench 5 sets of 5
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 3x5
Power clean 5x5
OHP 5x5
Rows 5x5

I just showed him some basic lifts off the top of my head. I only worried about form and since he has had some prior experience he caught on fairly quickly. Is there anything I left out? Questions, comments, critiques, anything.

I want to help these guys and give them the best and most accurate advice and coaching that I can, I have even referred them to this site and encouraged them to read up and soak up as much info as their little minds can handle.

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:
What are some ways I can keep myself from getting too bad with the regular bench to hold me off until I can procure a bench press?[/quote]
Dumbbell presses and all sorts of push-ups, especially either supersetted with the Smith work or done earlier and using the Smith press almost as a finisher.

Are you interested in being a trainer as a career or just to help them out for a while? Just wondering. If you were looking into it professionally, these are worth a read:

If you’re just looking to help your buds, they’re not exactly targeted to you but you might be able to get some useful info from them either way.

[quote]I just got done with one friend today and it was his first day. And it went a little bit like this.

Bench 5 sets of 5
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 3x5
Power clean 5x5
OHP 5x5
Rows 5x5[/quote]
That was all done on the dude’s first day? What in the holy hell. I hope you told the guy to expect being sore from ears to ankles. Also, I super-disagree with doing cleans for that volume after serious squats and deads.

Depends quite a bit on their individual goals and abilities. But in general, kinda put yourself in their shoes. Stick with a training template/pre-designed program, and gradually adapt and tweak as you go.

Also, if you’re giving training advice you should also at least mention the importance of nutrition. Way too many people, especially beginners and especially-especially younger dudes, underestimate the influence of proper eating. Don’t get complicated at all, stick with bullet points. The more simple you keep things, the more likely it is to sink in and get followed.

Are you interested in being a trainer as a career or just to help them out for a while? Just wondering. If you were looking into it professionally, these are worth a read:

If you’re just looking to help your buds, they’re not exactly targeted to you but you might be able to get some useful info from them either way.[/quote]

I’ve considered training people for a career, but for right now they just want some help. Thanks

Oh by all means these were strictly for form, the most weight that was used was the bar, and 95lbs for dead lifts. I wasn’t going to have him do a full on workout with that specific setup. Although I had planned on having them with me 3 days a week, any tips or ideas on splits?

I have mentioned to them on several occasions how diet is a huge factor in their exercise. 2 of them eat fast food and crap daily, they’ll be a challenge. The most experienced one, already eats excellently so I don’t see a challenge with him.

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:
Oh by all means these were strictly for form, the most weight that was used was the bar, and 95lbs for dead lifts. I wasn’t going to have him do a full on workout with that specific setup. Although I had planned on having them with me 3 days a week, any tips or ideas on splits? [/quote]
Ah, gotcha.

Really almost anything will work as a start. Depends a little bit on their particular goals, but even then, either full body sessions, upper-lower split, or a push-pull-legs (a.k.a. chest/shoulder/tris-back/bis-legs) should be doable. For the most part, one’s not drastically better than the other.

With three sessions a week, you’ll get obviously get more frequency with full body or upper-lower stuff, which is useful for helping beginners learn new lifts. But if they’ve already got a bit of experience, they might not necessarily need that.

Don’t try to convert them overnight. Simple steps they can gradually build on tend to take hold better. Like, “Each meal should have a decent serving of protein.” They can implement that even with fast food. If dropping fat is a goal “No liquid calories, unless it’s a protein shake in water.” Little, simple stuff that can become habit.

Sounds good, thanks a lot.

You should also do some research on the effects of Volume, Intensity and Rest periods for ANY exercise. For instance, I assumed timing rest periods was only useful for high-intermediate and beyond lifters. Upon utilizing a program that incorporated timed rest I saw a MASSIVE jump in my size and strength.

It may be too early, but if they have sufficient strength it might be a good idea to test what type of muscle fibers they have (good article is on this site somewhere) and adjust their plans accordingly.

Just run them on something like Texas method for 3-6 months then move on to 5/3/1