T Nation

Bench 5/3/1, Main Assistance

Just about to start 5/3/1 and was wondering based on peoples experience/results which main assistance exercise would you recommend after the bench 5/3/1, Incline press or military press, thanks.

If you read the book, there are tons of templates in there. I personally do my own structure for assistance work, but if you are asking the question, my speculation is you will be better served following something spelled out for you. I mix up my assistance work weekly, but the one constant is I do some form of incline press on OHP day.

But I vary the grip, barbell/dumbbell, reps, sets, etc. Depending what your goals are, I am certain you can find a template that you like. Then just stick with it for a few cycles.

I have read the book and i know what i am going to be doing, i just wanted to know what people thought was better for main assistance after bench 5/3/1, incline or press

[quote]Jordan1995 wrote:
I have read the book and i know what i am going to be doing, i just wanted to know what people thought was better for main assistance after bench 5/3/1, incline or press[/quote]
My opinion is neither. I use incline for an assistance to OHP. My bench assistance varies from decline bench, close grip bench, or weighted dips.

Don’t get hung up on “better”. Do one for a few months, then do the other for a few months, then use your experience to guide your decisions.

1. Take 90 percent of the days working weight and do 3 sets of 3 paused reps after benching.

2. Take 80 percent of the days working weight and do 2 sets of closegrip amrap w.o failure.

Depends on your goal. Assistance work, for me; is all goal oriented. Do (or don’t do) the assistance work based on your goals.

Please do not answer this question anymore - it has already been answered in another thread. And the original post already “knows what to do”.

Yeah sorry i am new to this forum and i didnt know that the thread had to be moderated before it appeared and so thought i had just messed up creating one.

Shake weight @ 15% incline 100 total reps…done naked of course.