Benanything's Training Log

Not so much as trying to prevent this but more so for experimental purposes. I’ve yet to find a deadlift technique that fits me so experimenting and refining couldn’t hurt. I know you do that as part of your deadlift, using the bar as a counterweight and loading your glutes/hams.

Ah, got it. Sorry I don’t have any good info on how to lift that way, haha.

No worries, thanks for checking in though.

Probably that, yes. Like Pwnisher said it isn’t even necessarily a bad thing if it feels better pulling that way. My hips shoot up a bit too.

##5/3/2016
##Project D.S.W.S Session #20

Squat
20kgs for sets and reps
40kgs x5
60kgs x5
80kgs x3
100kgs x3
110kgs x1
120kgs x1
130kgs x1
140kgs x1
might’ve messed up my knee a little
100kgs x1 pause squat for a bit

Press w/ Leg Drive
cleaned once for every set
55kgs x3x5

First day back in the gym after my exams, well shit, it’s good to be back.

##6/3/2016
##Project D.S.W.S Session #21

Did some snatches, muscle snatches, some presses including a rather slow 60kgs strict press. Just moved around a bit, I’ve my comp tomorrow so… Yeah.

##NYP-SP Strongman Challenge 2016 Write Up

##“Winning isn’t everything, but it beats anything in second place.” - William C. Bryant

##“Second place is just the first place loser.” - Dale Earnhardt

##"It’s not about what you could’ve done or should’ve done, it’s about what you did. You get one chance, that’s it. "

Comp was on the 4th of June 2016. Weighed in at the comp at 73-ish kgs. Weighed myself that morning at 72-ish kgs. Competing under 80kgs weight class.

The 4 events were…

150kgs Tyre Flips for 30m

Farmer’s Walk, 80kgs per hand, for 20m

Axle Press 65kgs, clean on every rep, AMRAP in 1 minute

Axle Deadlift 120kgs, AMRAP in 1 minute

Video comprising of everything. Special thanks to @Alpha since I basically ripped off his 2015 Maryland’s Strongest Man video albeit at a far lousier production quality.

Write up of the individual events

150kgs Tyre Flips for 30m
Well shit, I fucked up. Asked the judges for as to whether time is stopped as soon as the tyre passes the line or when the tyre lands flat past the line. Miscommunication everywhere. Cost me 1secs - 1.5secs which would’ve landed me at 3rd instead of 4th.

Farmer’s Walk, 80kgs per hand, for 20m
Well, I was the fastest so that’s great. Felt hella slow to be honest but eh, it was a somewhat pleasant surprise. I was the only guy who broke the 10second mark.

Axle Press 65kgs, clean on every rep, AMRAP in 1 minute
I MAJORLY fucked up. I went in overconfident. Belt restricted my breathing, causing me to be out of breath. Constant dropping of the bar led to the plates getting out of place, causing me precious time. 9 reps done. 1st place dude got 10 reps. Tied with 2nd place dude for reps but he was lighter. This was supposed to be my event. If anyone actually watches the video, I’d say it’s pretty evident that weight wasn’t really much of an issue for me. Special thanks to @T3hPwnisher and @Alpha (again) for the advice given to me for the axle though they definitely didn’t come into play. On a side note, might’ve fucked up my wrist, feeling pain on extension now.

Axle Deadlift 120kgs, AMRAP in 1 minute
My worst event and I did way better than expected. 26 reps. Considering I got 27 reps for the 100kgs back in December of 2015, at least I improved?

Final Thoughts
Am I upset? Not particularly. Am I satisfied, not even close. This is my 3rd time in a row getting 2nd place in a comp. Eh, at least I’m placing. Special thanks to @MarkKO who’ve been always hanging around my training log and offering me words of encouragement, I really appreciate it mate.

IMO this is the most sensible and realistic way to look at any results, whether a competition or training. Satisfaction is the forebear of complacency.

Always happy to help.

1 Like

##5/6/2016
##Taking this week off.

Bout damn time I got a deload I guess. That being said, it’s probably mainly due to the wrist which is pretty fucked. I’ll get it checked out tomorrow but I’m 80% sure I’ll need to get a cast cause I can’t move my wrist at all.

Treadmill
5km/h for 5 minutes
10km/h for 5 minutes
5km/h for 5 minutes
11km/h for 5 minutes
5km/h for 5 minutes
12km/h for 5 minutes

Back Extensions
3x10

Sit Ups
did some for a few
did some weighted and my wrists felt like shit

I think you did the best you could with what you were given in that show dude. Strategies get a little different with everything being so light. You know what you need to work on, and second place is a great inspiration to get hungry and go hard.

2 Likes

##6/6/2016
##Taking this week off.

Well, helped train the juniors for a bit and did some singles on the deadlift, worked up to 160kgs with straps. Can barely do anything with my right wrist. Can’t get into a push up position/press an empty bar.

##7/6/2016
##Taking this week off.

Ran At The Tracks
400m in 1min45secs
2 minute rest
400m in 1min36secs
3 minute rest
400m in 1min44secs

Deadlift (4 Mats)
gym got upgraded and we have 2 Eleiko bars and a bunch of other cool shit including the mats
60kgs x5
80kgs x5
100kgs x5 straps starting to hurt my wrist
120kgs x5 wore straps over my wrist wraps
140kgs x5
160kgs x1 straps hurting my wrist like crazy, would’ve done more if it weren’t for the straps pulling my wrist apart
160kgs x1 hookgrip PR I guess, can’t say I’ve ever hookgripped anything this heavy

Kettlebell Swings
16kgs x60

##8/6/2016
##Taking this week off.

Helped the juniors and did some deadlifts with hookgrip and demonstrations etc.

##9/6/2016
##Taking this week off.

Did some single arm dumbbell shoulder presses on both arms, wrist feeling way better. Oh and did some barbell presses and guess what, I can still strict press 60kgs so at least I’ve that going for me. Did some deadlifts and a few singles at 130kgs with hookgrip. Deadlifts were done on slight deficit cause crappy ass smaller than proper plate type plates were used. Wearing the stretchy wrist wraps with my gansta wraps on top while doing my presses.

1 Like

Unsolicited advice - I saw you said you broke your hand. I cut the tendons in my left hand once years ago. It was in an immobilizer for awhile after surgery. I had good luck using dumbbells on the right side (supposedly there is like a 10% carryover to your non-working side). I also used that little velcro ankle strap for the cable machine and wrapped it around my wrist on my injured side. I could mimic pulldowns, presses, curls, whatever. You have to be a little careful about where you wrap it, so it doesn’t tug on the injured site. Anyway - I think the most important thing is not to mess it up more, healing is the key, but doing that stuff helped alleviate mental frustration at being able to do nothing.

1 Like

##10/6/2016
##Taking this week off.

Unplanned gym session, did some presses and muscle snatches. Worked up to 50kgs x3 and a 60kgs single for the presses. Muscle snatches were done with the bar only. Still hurts when pressing without any wrist support but at least I can still press somehow. Everyone is telling me I’m gonna hurt myself but it feels fine. That being said, I should probably stop pushing off my x-ray.

##13/6/2016
##It’s all in the wrist.

Snatch
Did a shit ton of them and I wouldn’t call it training, more like practice. That being said, I did somehow manage to get a 50kgs pause in the hole kinda snatch and it sucked ass, can’t really balance myself properly. All the snatches were done either with just the bar or 30/40, meh, the weight is pathetic and it’s just practice. Recorded a shit ton of my snatches and I’ll upload some of them on here for critique. Just some of the training footage merged together. That being said, my wrists aren’t even closed to healed so I guess all of it counts as a PR haha.

Strongman Training
Despite the name, I didn’t exactly train. More like led the juniors for training, as usual. That being said, jogged/ran/of sorts 2 rounds of 400m at the start of training and 3 rounds at the end. Wasn’t exactly strenuous to any degree but I’ll include it in anyways.

Bench
Well, to be precise, I tried to use the bench for close grip bench press and my wrist just hurts big time. Tried regular grip and well, wrist still hella hurts. I should really get an x-ray done. Gonna get it done tomorrow. So basically, I couldn’t bench.

Deadlifts
Not so much of an actual deadlift session but rather helping out the juniors with their deadlifts. Did do some singles at various weights but heaviest I went was 140kgs for a few hookgrip singles. Getting pretty decent at using hookgrip so I guess that’s one of the few things going my way.

Dude. Stop training stuff that involves your wrist. You’re going to fuck it up. Let it heal. There’s stuff you can do that doesn’t work your wrist.

1 Like

So far, I don’t think I’m doing anything that’s particularly wrist intensive. Other than the trying to bench that is. The snatch actually feels pretty good on the wrist, I can do them without the wraps but eh, adding them as added security measures can’t hurt too much.

Just be careful mate. Don’t let your work ethic get in the way of common sense.

1 Like