Ben Seath's Raw Powerlifting Training Log #1 308

Your walkthrough videos are awesome and much appreciated.

Ben,

Awesome to see you on this website. You are a great lifter and inspiration - have seen your vids on powerliftingwatch - you are a monster dude!

Quick question figured you’d be the best man to ask - I am moving to Seattle this July to start my Masters at University of Washington. I am looking for an awesome kick-ass powerlifting gym to be busting my ass at and meet peeps. I’ll be living in Greenlake / North Seattle area and proximity is important because I dunno how much free time I’ll have from school and all the other stuff. Ideas?

Thanks big guy! It would be awesome to meet you in person this summer and hopefully train together.

[quote]mmatt wrote:
Your walkthrough videos are awesome and much appreciated.[/quote]

Great I’m Glad I am having so much Positive Feed back!!! I will be posting a Bench Press workout Walk Through After noonish Tomorrow!!

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
Ben,

Awesome to see you on this website. You are a great lifter and inspiration - have seen your vids on powerliftingwatch - you are a monster dude!

Quick question figured you’d be the best man to ask - I am moving to Seattle this July to start my Masters at University of Washington. I am looking for an awesome kick-ass powerlifting gym to be busting my ass at and meet peeps. I’ll be living in Greenlake / North Seattle area and proximity is important because I dunno how much free time I’ll have from school and all the other stuff. Ideas?

Thanks big guy! It would be awesome to meet you in person this summer and hopefully train together.[/quote]

Dude “Locals Gym” is in Lynnwood its a CrossFit Powerlifting gym! They have a Great Power Team and My Friend Justin Randle Trains there he has a 1920 Raw Total at 275 Bodyweight.

About once a Month over to another forum we have a Seattle Barbell Club! We try and meet up once a month or so! I’ll let you know When we have them! Here is a Video of what one is like.
Seattle Animal Barbell Club at "Now is Fitness" (Seattle, WA) - YouTube

BENCH IS BACK!!! Yeah Buddy!

Well I missed my Goal of 8 Reps because I miss Groved hella Bad on the 8th Rep ended up with 7 But as you will see in the VIDEO I POST TOMORROW (Sorry Early Morning Don’t have time to Edit and Post tonight) I was smoking the reps Just Flared my Elbows out to early on Rep 8 and pushed it over my face. But man Bench Felt Great tonight! 405 Felt like 315 in my hands. I bet my bench is over 500 but I’m not worried about singles right now.

Here is a Breakdown of the entire workout:

Bench Press
45—1 X 10
95—1 X 10
135–2 X 10
225–1 X 8
275–1 X 5
315–1 X 3
365–1 X 3
405–1 X 7 (2 Reps Shy of my Old PR Best Ever is 405 X 9)

Low Incline DB Press
60—1 X 15
80—1 X 12
100–1 X 12
120–3 X 10
150–1 X 5

Peck Deck
5 X 10-12

Neutral Grip Lat Pull Downs
5 X 12 (Increase Weight each set till you find a 12 Rep Max)

I was Very happy with how the Incline Presses went! If your Bench Sucks and your not doing those your HIGH!!! Those are my favorite Bench Press Accessory Movements! I’m a way better for reps on thoses! Just that 30 pound jump made a huge difference!! lol The 120’s for 10 Reps were pretty easy. 150’s were a different story!!

[quote]Seath308 wrote:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
What do you eat for breakfast and what is your favorite color? [/quote]

Breakfast is 8 whole eggs and 4 egg whites with 2 pieces of toast and a blue berry bagle.

Favorite color Purple… Don’t judge me lol[/quote]

I would judge you if you were slightly less strong/awesome.

Our logs seem to be neck and neck for frequent use of exclamation marks though! I like that. Really brings excitement and intensity into things.

Some people never use exlamation marks. So weird.
They really don’t know what they’re missin’.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

[quote]Seath308 wrote:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
What do you eat for breakfast and what is your favorite color? [/quote]

Breakfast is 8 whole eggs and 4 egg whites with 2 pieces of toast and a blue berry bagle.

Favorite color Purple… Don’t judge me lol[/quote]

I would judge you if you were slightly less strong/awesome.

Our logs seem to be neck and neck for frequent use of exclamation marks though! I like that. Really brings excitement and intensity into things.

Some people never use exlamation marks. So weird.
They really don’t know what they’re missin’. [/quote]

Exactly!!! “No I Can’t Stop Yelling Because thats how I talk!”

Bench Video From last nights workout!
Check It! 405 X 7 and DB Incline Press 120–3 X 10 and 150–1 X 4

Squats!!! 675 for a max Rep!!! LESSS GO!!!

To be honest today was one of those days that I woke up feeling like shit and Kept feeling like shit right up untill my workout. BUT FUCK ME! Animal Rage Kicked in I took a Double Dose to really Jack me up and it DID JUST THAT!!!

Raw Squats (Belt and Knee Sleeves)
135–1 X 12
225–1 X 10
315–1 X 8
405–1 X 5
525–1 X 3
595–1 X 3
675–1 X 5

Leg Press
225–1 X 12;12
405–1 X 12;12
495–1 X 12;12
Added Band Tension
495–1 X 12;12

Leg Extensions
2 Warm Up Sets
3 X Failure (20 ish Reps with 4-5 Half Reps)

Pull Down Abs
3 X 20

Sweet Jesus you are strong. Your squats looked great, man. I know that last one probably felt like a good morning (from experience) but it still looked super strong.

Question: What do you think about things like reverse band squats? I’m having a tough time getting my squat to move up, as it just straight up feels shitty. I’m not on 5/3/1, although I’ve tried it.

…that song at the end of the video is catchy as hell. I don’t give fuck! I said it!

holy shit, IN.

Great to be able to follow a log. I have always followed your video’s on youtube. Your success with 5/3/1 has me wanting to run it for a bit after my upcoming meet since I too will be taking a few months off competing. The walkthrough videos are great and as everyone else has said, they are much appreciated! Keep it up, I’m really going to enjoy this log.

Great way to start off the 1’s week!

Military Press (Overhead Press)
45—1 X 12
95—1 X 12
135–1 X 10
185–1 X 8
210–1 X 5
240–1 X 3
275–1 X 5 PR!!

Simulated Bench press Pushups
BW–2 X 20
100–1 X 19
100–1 X 16
100–1 X 12

Bent of DB Rear Delts Super-set with Rear Delt Machine
3 X 20+;10

Front Delt Raises
4 X 12
1 X Failure

Tricep Circuit
3 Sets Alot of Reps

Looking strong big fella

[quote]Seath308 wrote:

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[quote]Seath308 wrote:

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:
You’re 22?! Can you teach me how to be insanely strong?

Seriously, though, I’m going to be following this log for sure. Great to see you posting here![/quote]

Yup I just turned 22 on April 9th! Yes I can Teach you. That is exactly why I am doing the Walk through videos! I want to be surrounded by strong people I AM HERE TO HELP GUYS!![/quote]

Even more psyched to have you here then! I’m looking forward to some knowledge bombs.

If you have time, would you mind giving everyone a little history of how you got started with training, and just a brief rundown of things you’ve done in the past to get where you are now? I think a lot of people would like to hear![/quote]

Well I mainly Powerlifted In High School (2004-2008) To Assist me on that Mat. My Main Sport in High School. Wrestling got pretty much all of my attension. I wrestled Heavy weight (285) only weighing 230ish Powerlifting played a huge part in my success. I was able to shoot a Double Leg Pick up my 30-50 pound heavier opponent and take him straight to his back. I Made it to the State Finals my Senior year and lost.

With my Career Choice already picked out I was only going to go to College if it was a D1 Sscholarship but No Luck I had a Couple D2 Schools talk to me but I wasn’t interested. After Wrestling was over is when I really started to focus on Powerlifting. About 1 month after wrestling season was over at the age of 17 I was able to squat 615, Bench 405, and Deadlift 475 ( Single ply shit inzer z Suit Squat and Bench, Raw Dead) at the high School state qualifier.

I would have easly walk through State again (I was State Champ my JR. Year in Powerlifting) BUT I got caught fucking my girlfriend in the High school auditorium while I was skipping class Luckly I was really good friends with the principal and Vice they lied for me by saying we were just making out but I still got detension and wasn’t allowed to lift at State. Ben Rice can back me up on that one hahahah.

After High school I got in to Construction I’m a electrician Stopped lifting from summer of 2008 to January 2010. January 2010 was when I started the 5/3/1 and I really think the program helped motivate me to be where I am right now.

January 2010 Best LIfts
Squat 475
Bench 330
Dead 445

There is a Idea of where my lifts got started.[/quote]

Thanks for the writeup, Ben! Great log.

Ben, great log and great videos. I really appreciate the time you put into your videos and log updates and your letting others get a peak into what you do in the gym. It’s very helpful and I plan on implementing a lot of your style into my own 5/3/1 program. Thanks man, keep it up.

Hey man thanks for posting these vids, they are great inspiration and you move some serious weight. My only question is that your gym seems pretty decent: squat racks and mono and such but wtf is up with the music? I saw one where you were crushing the weight and the gym was blasting Adele and lady gaga. Crazy.

great log glad your posting here!

BIG SQUAT = BIG LEGS! yeah buddy!!!

HELL FUCKING YEAH FINISHED the first 5/3/1 cycle off a BIG BANG!

Squats Belt and Knee Sleeves
135–1 X 10
225–1 X 10
315–1 X 8
405–1 X 5
495–1 X 5
550–1 X 5
635–1 X 3
710–1 X 4 PR’S!!! ALL DAY!!!

Light acces

Leg Press
3 Sets Light weight High Reps

Weighted Decline Sit-Ups
35–4 X 10 Drop Weight 4-5 Bodyweight Reps!

FUCKING KILLED IT THIS 5/3/1 baby feels great to be back training again!!! MAKING PROGRESS ITS WHAT I DO BEST!!!