Belted Vs. Unbelted

No, I havent bought an expensive belt.

I just want to make sure that if I do unbelted squats and then do additional core work(powerwheel workout and planks, situps, etc.)…that I wont overwork my core and I wont create a muscular imbalance.

Just my preference, but I never use a belt. Even when I’m doing near max-effort lifts, I just rely on my own core muscles to keep me up and I haven’t yet come anywhere close to failing on a lift just because my core can’t hold up the weight.

I think if you want to wear a belt, the most intelligent method is to use one whenever you’re going over 85%-90% of your 1-rep max. Otherwise, IMO, you’re just hindering the development of your core muscles. And no, I don’t think your ab-roller thingy is going to lead to overtraining; it also can’t replace the training effect of lifting heavy without a belt.

In general, I think it’s wise to try to lift heavy as you can with as few lifting aids as possible (without injuring yourself). If you’re not into competitive powerlifting or oly weightlifting, I’d try to steer clear of belts, wraps, or straps. For a non-competitive lifter, if you can’t hit the lift in shorts and a t-shirt, you can’t hit the lift, IMO.

Besides, I think a powerful core and a crushing grip are two of the most useful benefits you can get from the weightroom, and they are also the two areas most retarded by the use of training “aids”.

Are you competing? If not then don’t wear a belt. I only wear one when getting ready for contest. I will train up to max triples in the offseason without a belt.

beef

Ghost had it right; use the belt for heavy (greater than 80-85%). Some people will use a belt on standing military press and things that tend to put stress on the back, which is okay, but it’s also a sign that you need a stronger back and abs.

Also as someone else said earlier, you can use a belt to train… using a belt. Set the belt a notch or two looser than normal and expand your stomach to fit it. This is more of interest to powerlifters, but it can’t hurt you on your squats.

I think you understand this but, a belt isn’t a magic bullet; if you don’t know how to use it, and even if you do you can hurt your back. If you’re worried about hurting something stop lifting when your form gets bad and use less weight or fewer reps. Plus it’s another way not to wear your belt…

But dont squats put strain on your back?

And I’m worried that I could stunt my grwoth or something from squatting without a belt. Everyone in our highschool weightroom wears a belt, so I’m scared that unbelted sqauts arent good for people my age(15).

I squatted without a belt today and… my back sort of hurt after each set. And when I put the weight on my shoulders, I felt some pressure on my spine. I am worried that this pressure/pain on my spine could lead to injury or something. It just felt like my spine was being squished like a soda can gets crushed. I felt shorter. I dont want to stunt my growth. I’m 15.5 years old and I have alot more to grow. I’m scared that not using a belt on my squats could stunt my growth or injure my back or something. Will squatting withought a belt stunt my growth. Is unbelted squatting more dangerous than belted squatting?

I only use belts to hold up my pants and when the durty lil freak needs to be spanked…

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:

And I’m worried that I could stunt my grwoth or something from squatting without a belt. Everyone in our highschool weightroom wears a belt, so I’m scared that unbelted sqauts arent good for people my age(15).

I squatted without a belt today and… my back sort of hurt after each set. And when I put the weight on my shoulders, I felt some pressure on my spine. I am worried that this pressure/pain on my spine could lead to injury or something. It just felt like my spine was being squished like a soda can gets crushed. I felt shorter. I dont want to stunt my growth. I’m 15.5 years old and I have alot more to grow. I’m scared that not using a belt on my squats could stunt my growth or injure my back or something. Will squatting withought a belt stunt my growth. Is unbelted squatting more dangerous than belted squatting?[/quote]

WE’VE ANSWERED THIS QUESTION MULTIPLE TIMES IN THIS THREAD!!! you dont like the freaking answers, fine, do what you want, but holy sh-t, how many different ways can we give you the same answer?

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:

I dont want to stunt my growth. I’m 15.5 years old and I have alot more to grow. I’m scared that not using a belt on my squats could stunt my growth or injure my back or something.[/quote]

damn, you must be one short dude to worry so much about such a stupid thing…

squatting without a belt will not stunt your growth…

more pressure is placed on your lower spine from jumping up as high as you can and landing on your two feet…and there hasn’t been a kid that’s stunted his growth from jumping…

now stop worring about stupid shit…

and if you’re 15.5, the odds of you growing more than an inch or two is damn low…welcome to shortsville…

YES, NO BELT!!! As someone else said, it has been answered multiple times.

However, I was under the impression that men grow taller into their early 20’s, is that correct?

[quote]Ze wrote:
However, I was under the impression that men grow taller into their early 20’s, is that correct?[/quote]

I suppose it all depends on when you hit puberty…

most kids grow like weeds for 1-3 years after hitting puberty then vertical growth tapers off considerably…

most 15 year old guys will grow no more than one or two more inches on average…

I grew nine inches from age twelve to age fifteen, then I grew a third on an inch from fifteen to age twenty…

i grew the most from 15-18 actually

and the reason your back hurt is because you are using too much weight and your back muscles are weak PROBABLY FROM CONSTANTLY WEARING A BELT, all those kids that wear belts all the time are MORONS how heavy can a 15 year old lift? really? they are just fucking themselves over, id like to see them wear a belt like that during a wrestling match, football game baseball game basketball game etc

their belts are now their crutches, dont let the same happen to you, dont give in to peer pressure either which is really what all your damne questions are about you stupid friends tel you one thing and you think it must be right because they are all doing it

grow a set and stand up on your own WITHOUT A BELT ON

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
I’m just scared that I might be overworking my core compared to the rest of my body…

Because I’m already doing additional core work.[/quote]

sounds like the core work your doing is not at all like the core training you will get from heavy squats and deadlifts. it’s different.

always train without a belt as much as you can, the benefits your core muscles get and stabilizers you can’t quite duplicate with leg raises or planks, side bends and twists.

if I’m entering a contest I train shortly before using a belt just to get the feel of lifting with the belt on.

Instead of arguing belt or no belt and ab work, try this breathing technique-

1. Lace your fingers across your belly just below where the ribs split.

2. Breathe in through the nose, but don’t puff the chest up and out, try to make your fingers move apart and rise a bit.

3. Once you have a good handle on diaphragmatic breathing- Tighten your abdominal cavity as hard as you can, but don’t crunch down and forward. Keep your head up, shoulders back, and spine neutral.

Do this while squatting and dead lifting to maintain a good stable abdominal cavity/spine. Actualy, practice with little or no weight until you get rock solid at it. DON’T let out any air at the bottom of the squat.

You may also want to incorporate one legged (pistols), lunges, and romanian deads for hip and spine strength and stability.

This will help regardless of whether or not you use a belt, and if you haven’t done this all ready, you should not be squatting.

Squatting with or without a belt can injure your back. A belt may help you stay tight- but it is probably not going to keep you from getting hurt. The best way to mitigate injury risk is with good form (back arched, big air, stay tight), sensible regulation of training volume and intensity, and developing/maintaining strong abs and lower back.

Much of your discomfort comes from two things- firstly, squatting is not an inherently comfortable activity; secondly, you are presumably a novice lifter and have not developed strength and coordination in all the little muscles that keep you upright- over time this will improve, so keep at it.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:

I squatted without a belt today and… my back sort of hurt after each set. And when I put the weight on my shoulders, I felt some pressure on my spine. I am worried that this pressure/pain on my spine could lead to injury or something. It just felt like my spine was being squished like a soda can gets crushed. I felt shorter. I dont want to stunt my growth. I’m 15.5 years old and I have alot more to grow. I’m scared that not using a belt on my squats could stunt my growth or injure my back or something. Will squatting withought a belt stunt my growth. Is unbelted squatting more dangerous than belted squatting?[/quote]

Okay just to clarify…

Which one is better?

Belted squats + ab work

or

Unbelted Sqauts

or

Unbelted squats + ab work

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Okay just to clarify…

Which one is better?

Belted squats + ab work

or

Unbelted Sqauts

or

Unbelted squats + ab work[/quote]

Unbelted squats and ab work.

or since you seem to have trouble reading what other posters are writing in this thread:

UNBELTED SQUATS AND AB WORK

The way I see it, if strapping on a belt gives you the confidence to get under a heavy bar, then buckle up. A belt will not hurt you. Train abs heavy regardless of whether you wear a belt. Squatting without a belt is not a replacement for direct ab work.

wearing a belt all the time will hurt you, because then you can never lift without one ever because you will have weak core muscles, its not just hte abs that help suport your body there are back muscles as well

Your back may also hurt because you are using too much weight and are not doing a full squat. When you do a full squat you will have to drastically cut the weight.

Lift w/ your muscles, NOT your ego.

beef

Baller1950, what is your problem?