Belt Tightener?

I’ve seen people use belt tighteners before but I have yet to find where I can purchase one that isn’t ridiculously expensive ($45). If anyone knows that would be great!

I call mine “the power rack”.

I call mine “hey fatass, get over here and tighten this belt.”

Or “hey fatass, get over here and give this a tug” if I’m feeling saucy that day.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Or “hey fatass, get over here and give this a tug” if I’m feeling saucy that day.[/quote]

Not sure I’m brave enough to say that around the bunch of homos I train with.

I’m pretty sure you’d have to get one made to get it for cheap. Personally I wouldn’t think twice about dropping $50 on something so useful (especially since I am the dumbass that has a 13mm double prong belt).

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
I’m pretty sure you’d have to get one made to get it for cheap. Personally I wouldn’t think twice about dropping $50 on something so useful (especially since I am the dumbass that has a 13mm double prong belt).[/quote]

I saw a couple of lifters at my last meet that had something that looked pretty cheap, but I didn’t think to ask. After this next meet I plan on getting a lever belt so I guess I will just have my handler help me this go around.

That 13mm double prong belt sounds like a lot of fun!

i’ve made myself a belt tightener that you hook on the power rack. it’s made from a few feet of 550lb paracord and a carabiner/clip from home depot. i also made a handle that you can use to pull it tight if there is no rack around. i’ll post a picture tonight.

probably costs less than $5.

[quote]anthonycyee wrote:
i’ve made myself a belt tightener that you hook on the power rack. it’s made from a few feet of 550lb paracord and a carabiner/clip from home depot. i also made a handle that you can use to pull it tight if there is no rack around. i’ll post a picture tonight.

probably costs less than $5.[/quote]

Great, thanks Anthony!

here it is…the ‘tony advanced designs’ belt tightenter…

all the kool powerlifters are getting them for x-mas. (forever belt not included).

no pic attached to that last post…you can attach the long part to the rack, or attach a handle to the clip. the short section just has a giant knot on one end so that it can’t pull through your belt. the handle is actually from the kid’s section at ikea.

another shot. the clip is from home depot, where all of the chains and rope and junk are located. as a big knot, i use a ‘monkey’s fist’ knot - strong and just the right size. confusing to tie at first.

PM me and i’ll send you pre-tied paracord (but i don’t have any extra clips right now).

not to hi-jack the thread, but how tight do you guys wear your belts? there are mixed opinions at the ‘gym’ that i use.

on one hand, you have trainers who know everything and say that using a belt is cheating and i should be stabbed in the face for using one. (i respond that once they have attempted a true 1RM DL and their eyes are bloodshot and they nearly blackout from the pressure, we can debate - until someone has been to the edge, they just don’t know).

in the middle are guys who wear their belt so loose that they might as well not be wearing one at all.

on the other extreme side, i have always worn it as tight as it will possibly go. how about you?

Thanks a lot man! And don’t worry about hi-jacking the thread when you saved me $40!

I personally don’t think a belt can be too tight when going for a 1 rep max. I do squat a lot without a belt in training to help with my stability but I never understood deadlifting without a belt.

When I’m squatting raw, I tighten my belt as tight as it can possibly go. When I’m in multiply gear, I wear it a little looser so I can get more air in my belly.