Belt Problems with Suit

I was squatting with a super nxg+ centurion straps down. Was hitting my weights fine. When I finally belted up It was rediculously uncomfortable to get to more than halfway down. And if I forced it It hurt and made me lose my tightness. Anyone else experience this, and how do I fix it? If necesarry I will provide video from my next squat session.

Is your belt too tight?

It could be too low.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Is your belt too tight?

It could be too low.[/quote]

I tried it so loose I didn’t even get support from it and had the same problem. Where do you usually have your belt?

Is this your first time in gear? Squatting in a suit is always “uncomfortable.” When you belt up with the straps down it locks the suit in place somewhat, so it will take more effort to get down. If you think that’s bad, just wait til you put the straps up. This is something that you will have to get used to.

Also, don’t try to force depth if it isn’t there with lighter weights. Just go as low as the suit will let you.

I have to wear my belt much looser in a suit than I do raw. This sucks, because as a female, I don’t get near as much support from it cuz it’s no where near my actual waist. When I lock the belt, I do so with the straps down, and then it’s killer hard to get down with the straps up. That’s just the way it is.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Is this your first time in gear? Squatting in a suit is always “uncomfortable.” When you belt up with the straps down it locks the suit in place somewhat, so it will take more effort to get down. If you think that’s bad, just wait til you put the straps up. This is something that you will have to get used to.

Also, don’t try to force depth if it isn’t there with lighter weights. Just go as low as the suit will let you.[/quote]

It’s not my first time in gear. I had no problems with a z-suit when I used it. I got about 50 pounds of carry over and could hit depth with as little as 200 pounds. The centurion is another monster. I’m perfectly comfortable squatting without the suit with gear on. But with the belt and suit something goes wrong.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Also, don’t try to force depth if it isn’t there with lighter weights. Just go as low as the suit will let you.

It’s not my first time in gear. I had no problems with a z-suit when I used it. I got about 50 pounds of carry over and could hit depth with as little as 200 pounds. The centurion is another monster. I’m perfectly comfortable squatting without the suit with gear on. But with the belt and suit something goes wrong.[/quote]

It kinda sounds to me that you’re having trouble because this is your first time in “real gear”. I don’t have a ton of experience with either of those suits, but I know what the materials are like. And I know one gives more than the other.

Are you having trouble hitting depth with the belt because you lock up? Usually, squatting in a suit without a belt allows the suit to slide down a bit as you sit back to squat. When you put a belt on, its going to lock that suit in place and make it “catch you” more. Does this make sense at all, and is this whats happening, or am I totally misunderstanding the situation?

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

It’s not my first time in gear. I had no problems with a z-suit when I used it. I got about 50 pounds of carry over and could hit depth with as little as 200 pounds. The centurion is another monster. I’m perfectly comfortable squatting without the suit with gear on. But with the belt and suit something goes wrong.

It kinda sounds to me that you’re having trouble because this is your first time in “real gear”. I don’t have a ton of experience with either of those suits, but I know what the materials are like. And I know one gives more than the other.

Are you having trouble hitting depth with the belt because you lock up? Usually, squatting in a suit without a belt allows the suit to slide down a bit as you sit back to squat. When you put a belt on, its going to lock that suit in place and make it “catch you” more. Does this make sense at all, and is this whats happening, or am I totally misunderstanding the situation? [/quote]

That could be part of it, but the belt itself is painful, and makes me lose tightness because it’s digging into my ribs really hard. As in if I forced myself to hit depth like this I would more than likely crack a rib. I’m gonna try a higher position like Hanley suggested but I’m still at a loss. It’s in the same place as when I squat raw. Is that wrong?

I was squatting with a super nxg+ centurion straps down. Was hitting my weights fine. When I finally belted up It was rediculously uncomfortable to get to more than halfway down. And if I forced it It hurt and made me lose my tightness. Anyone else experience this, and how do I fix it? If necesarry I will provide video from my next squat session.[/quote]

What angle is your torso when you are squatting? Maybe your leaning way forwrd to try to hit depth and the belt is digging into your ribs?? This happens to me so I have to keep a bit of a more upright torso angle but still keep sitting back.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
I was squatting with a super nxg+ centurion straps down. Was hitting my weights fine. When I finally belted up It was rediculously uncomfortable to get to more than halfway down. And if I forced it It hurt and made me lose my tightness. Anyone else experience this, and how do I fix it? If necesarry I will provide video from my next squat session.

What angle is your torso when you are squatting? Maybe your leaning way forwrd to try to hit depth and the belt is digging into your ribs?? This happens to me so I have to keep a bit of a more upright torso angle but still keep sitting back.

[/quote]

I’ll stay a little more conscious of this next time I squat too. I wish I had experienced geared lifters around me.

buckeye girl wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Are you having trouble hitting depth with the belt because you lock up? Usually, squatting in a suit without a belt allows the suit to slide down a bit as you sit back to squat. When you put a belt on, its going to lock that suit in place and make it “catch you” more. Does this make sense at all, and is this whats happening, or am I totally misunderstanding the situation?

That could be part of it, but the belt itself is painful, and makes me lose tightness because it’s digging into my ribs really hard. As in if I forced myself to hit depth like this I would more than likely crack a rib. I’m gonna try a higher position like Hanley suggested but I’m still at a loss. It’s in the same place as when I squat raw. Is that wrong?[/quote]

Jesus don’t put it higher then!! I didn’t realise that. Sorry.

you really need to get a vid up.

Are you trying to wear the belt at the same tightness as you do raw?

Is it a 13mm belt by any chance?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

That could be part of it, but the belt itself is painful, and makes me lose tightness because it’s digging into my ribs really hard. As in if I forced myself to hit depth like this I would more than likely crack a rib. I’m gonna try a higher position like Hanley suggested but I’m still at a loss. It’s in the same place as when I squat raw. Is that wrong?

Jesus don’t put it higher then!! I didn’t realise that. Sorry.

you really need to get a vid up.

Are you trying to wear the belt at the same tightness as you do raw?

Is it a 13mm belt by any chance?
[/quote]

I’ve tried it at the same tightness as I do raw, and so loose I don’t really get anything out of it. Yes it’s a 13mm.

Same issue, 13mm belt, only happens to me with straps down. The suit pulls it down into my hips and groin and leaves bruises. I’ve limited it by having the belt higher, but it digs into my bottom ribs.

just dealing with it is probably your best bet.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
just dealing with it is probably your best bet.[/quote]

[quote]Zephead4747 wrote:
As in if I forced myself to hit depth like this I would more than likely crack a rib. [/quote]