T Nation

Belt For Raw Bench Press?

I’m a raw lifter, and I never used a belt for my bench press. Some people say they benefit from using one. Others say that it doesn’t help them, and raw lifters in general don’t need it. It seems to me that the belt would mainly only help keep a bench shirt from shifting, not really helping raw guys. My current 1RM in the gym is 280, and 270 @ 165 in a meet, both paused. What do you guys think? Belt or no belt?

Add a belt into your benching days and I would not be surprised if you hit 365 or 405 within the next week or two.

dead srs

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Add a belt into your benching days and I would not be surprised if you hit 365 or 405 within the next week or two.

dead srs[/quote]

Thanks for the childish reply.

I’ve never noticed a big difference with or without.

I can bench the same weight with or without, but I wear one for my heavy sets just because it makes my lower back feel better afterwards.

I like to use a belt so all the fine female powerlifters on youtube will be impressed by how it matches my eyes.

Why not simply give it a try next time?

Never used it myself consistently. Will give it a go next time.

Not sure if it makes sense to improve intra-abdominal pressure for benching though.

Like many things, I think it depends on yoiur body type and your bench technique. I get quite a bit out of mine. Give it a shot and see what happens.

I always use mine on my heaviest sets. Helps me to stay tight and helps with my arch.

I pull it up so that the bottom of the belt is right above my belly button (with squats and deads it’s lower on my hips) and that helps my upper back and lats stay way tighter.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

[quote]maxbm wrote:

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Add a belt into your benching days and I would not be surprised if you hit 365 or 405 within the next week or two.

dead srs[/quote]

Thanks for the childish reply.[/quote]

You are very welcome.

In all seriousness it helps some stay tight. I only belt for heavy heavy singles. Other than that no point because in rep work I usualy let go of my breath after the first 2 reps.

I can’t bench without a belt, my lower back just gets fucked up.

[quote]Chicksan wrote:
I always use mine on my heaviest sets. Helps me to stay tight and helps with my arch. [/quote]

Yes…same here

Plus OP, its not like you don’t have a belt…just throw the thing on next time you bench and try it out. Did you really need a thread for us to tell you that?

I gave it a try tonight. Was surprised how well it works. Have to try it again tomorrow to see if it really sticks.

EDIT: tried it again and I think it is a winner for me.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Chicksan wrote:
I always use mine on my heaviest sets. Helps me to stay tight and helps with my arch. [/quote]

Yes…same here

Plus OP, its not like you don’t have a belt…just throw the thing on next time you bench and try it out. Did you really need a thread for us to tell you that?[/quote]

x3 It’s really nice to have something to press my abs against for that added stability.

I would feel like a douche using a belt when my 1RM bench is less than 300.

[quote]maxbm wrote:
I would feel like a douche using a belt when my 1RM bench is less than 300.[/quote]

I mean all respect when I say that I would have thought you of all people would be immune to feeling like a douche in front of people.

You’re the deezweez man. Own it.

[quote]maxbm wrote:
I would feel like a douche using a belt when my 1RM bench is less than 300.[/quote]

the ironing

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]maxbm wrote:
I would feel like a douche using a belt when my 1RM bench is less than 300.[/quote]

I mean all respect when I say that I would have thought you of all people would be immune to feeling like a douche in front of people.

You’re the deezweez man. Own it.[/quote]

lulz exactly