Belt For OLY Lifts?

so i’m just getting into olympic lifting, and I’m trying to figure out if and how often to use a belt.

i don’t use a belt on squat or deadlifts unless im going above 85% max effort, and i definitely dont use it for any other lifts or the power variations of the olympic lifts.

i feel like my lower back and abs are a lot better for it. what do you guys recommend when it comes to olympic lifting?

[quote]rustam wrote:
so i’m just getting into olympic lifting, and I’m trying to figure out if and how often to use a belt.

i don’t use a belt on squat or deadlifts unless im going above 85% max effort, and i definitely dont use it for any other lifts or the power variations of the olympic lifts.

i feel like my lower back and abs are a lot better for it. what do you guys recommend when it comes to olympic lifting? [/quote]

I don’t know what I would recommend, but I can tell you that I don’t use a belt for OL. I do my OH squats, OH shrugs, hang cleans, powersnatch, and hang snatch all without one. I haven’t had any back problems from it either, if anything, my back has gotten stronger. I also do other exercise to strenghten my back, like rows, deads, pulls, GH raise, goodmornings… So I have a strong back to begin with.

No.

No belt. Oly lifs require massive amouts of core strength and theres no better way to develope your core than doing snatches, cleans, squats ect. without a belt

I’ve been lifting olympic style for three or four years now, and I’ve never used a belt. I was always taught that the stress on the core helps to strengthen it.

Also, in olympic weightlifting, if you’re using weight that’s too heavy for your skill level which may require a belt, you need to lower the weight to get the technique down first. Once you’ve got the tech down, then start to add the weight.

I think it is better to lift without a belt for OL. I am approaching a double BW front squat and have never used a belt. Your body will get used to after a while.