Belt for Good Mornings?

Did a search on this nothing came up.

Do you wear a belt when going heavy on good mornings?

Why or why not?

Personally, I don’t, because I use GMs mainly as assistance for my low back. I have a history of low back problems, so I feel if my low back can’t handle the weight without the belt, it won’t be much help to me in the long run.
I always belt up for squats and deads though.

I never wear belt when going heavy on GM.
I have to be able to support the weigth my self. And I find it incomfortable to wear a belt.
During ME sq and DL its ok, but only during the top sets.

Heck yeah. I can get my core way tighter with a belt. I use GMs primarily as a hip and hamstring exercise and secondarily as a low back exercise.

I put my belt on at 225 or so. You use a belt on the squat and deadlift – so why not use it on the GM? For comparison purposes, my best GM is 455x3 with a cambered bar.

For me, it’s not worth risking injury. I care about not screwing up my back. I don’t care about “message board cred” by bragging that I don’t use a belt.

I don’t see why not but for me currently its an assitance movement. Plus I also feel uncomfortable with a belt on during GM’s, just doesn’t feel right to me.

Definitely if you are going heavy and you wear on a belt on anything. Personally I get more out of my belt on GM’s than any other lift. GM’s place a lot of load on the lower back so if you are ever going to wear a belt then this is a good exercise to do so on (assuming you are pushing it and going heavy).

with the mixed responses I am more confused than when I originally asked

seems like it is one of those try it both ways see what works for you type thing

i have always disliked subjective subjects in school and it’s carried over to weight lifting

if anybody feels strongly about it one way or another share your reasoning

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:

seems like it is one of those try it both ways see what works for you type thing

In fact, I will carefully try it both ways, and see which way helps ME add more pounds to my squat and deadlift, and then continue to do both.

[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

In fact, I will carefully try it both ways, and see which way helps ME add more pounds to my squat and deadlift, and then continue to do both.

[/quote]

Fixed that for you.[/quote]

makes sense…try both see what feels better and see what is increasing #'s in log book

with the mixed responses I am more confused than when I originally asked

i have always disliked subjective subjects in school and it’s carried over to weight lifting

if anybody feels strongly about it one way or another share your reasoning
[/quote]

I don’t wear one 1-1.5+months out from a competition because I am trying to develop as much general, raw strength as possible. When the competition gets closer, I wear the belt on my heaviest sets in hopes to overload the exercise and to get used to the belt again (for the competition). And I only do chain suspended GMs for max effort work because I only care about my deadlift.

For me, wearing the same gear and doing the same thing everytime I do the same exercise is not a smart/effective way to progress my training.

This training cycle, my best chain sus. GM without a belt was around 525x6. Yesterday, with a belt on my last set I hit 625x1 easy. Thats a 20lb PR for me. So, something worked this cycle! haha.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I only do chain suspended GMs for max effort work because I only care about my deadlift.
[/quote]

This might be a stupid question - but why does the suspended GM only benefit the deadlift? Is the first portion of a GM more suited to the squat?

[quote]Adam-F wrote:

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I only do chain suspended GMs for max effort work because I only care about my deadlift.
[/quote]

This might be a stupid question - but why does the suspended GM only benefit the deadlift? Is the first portion of a GM more suited to the squat?
[/quote]

It more mimics a deadlift. There is no eccentric phase just like a deadlift. This is an exercise that directly correlates to my deadlift, i.e. when it goes up, so does my pull in the meet. GMs in general do very little for my squat unless we are talking about standing or seated upper back good mornings.

I wear a belt for every hinging movement, and most heavy squatting movements. My training was unintelligent for too long, and the consequent injuries to my lower back don’t leave me with much of an option at this point. Part of it’s paranoia, but I’m a pretty lanky guy and anything that keeps my core tighter is worth a sacrifice in comfort.

Ok thanks for that storm, makes sense now!

I wore a belt for the first time on Good Mornings and increased my 6 rep max
from 275 to 300. That amount although relatively low to some
of you behemoths on here is “pushing it and going heavy” for me.

I got a lot out of this thread:

“For me, wearing the same gear and doing the same thing everytime I do the same exercise is not a smart/effective way to progress my training”

I never even would have thought of doing “chain suspended GMs for max effort work” that just sounds really cool and will be adding them to my training once my deadlift progress starts to plateau.