T Nation

Belly Fat

Hi,

I’m a 35 yr old female trying to lose weight. I’m careful with what I eat and have lost about 6kg in the past 3-4 weeks - only thing is that I’ve lost alot from my bust and waist yet my belly seems to be the same.

I follow an organic, clean food diet and am hoping someone can give me some ideas for helping me with this stubborn belly fat. I use kettlebells and do alot of resistance training, though not much seems to shift it?

thanks for your help.

Suzie.

6kg’s is a lot to lose in 3-4 weeks, sounds like a crash diet?

The unfortunate thing about fat loss is that the place the fat first appears on your body is the last place it comes off your body, for most people that means belly fat/love handles or sometimes thighs and ass on women.

Persever and be patient and you’ll see resutls.

There are some expert nutrition posters on this site, I am sure it will not be long before some see this and give you the benefit of their advice.
Good Luck
J

Yeah the first two or three was alot more water though I have been doing a fair bit of weight training. I think it would be closer to four weeks, tho, not three. Not to mention I did detox for the first week too through lots of fruit and raw vegetables and juicing. I added some protein from the second week onwards.

Thanks for your response, I hope someone does see this and give me some guidance on this. I dont go near the cardio machines either, just the kettlebell and free weights. Today was my upper body workout tomorrow lower body with squats and the machines.

We need more info - a sample of your daily diet, you current stats and ultimate goals etc…

Good progress is considered between 0.5lbs - 2.0lbs per week. It’s possible to lose WEIGHT faster than that, but it won’t be all FAT, and that’s generally counter-productive. Lift heavy, eat smart, and be patient.

[quote]rsg wrote:
We need more info - a sample of your daily diet, you current stats and ultimate goals etc…[/quote]

I’m 5"1" , weigh 180 pounds (bust42",waist 36",hips 50") - I have some light fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch with beans or some fish, and dinner is the same as lunch with a little more protein like grilled fish but I add some grain like quinoa or pasta. In between meals I have yogurt, a boiled egg, more fruit, vegetable sticks and/or nuts and seeds. I’ve been eating like this for a couple of months, and I don’t like meat or chicken.

I never feel hungry, my cravings are virtually non-existent so as far as food is concerned I’m not worried about my diet as such

Losing weight slowly isn’t really an issue but it seems my measurements are reducing from all over except the hips and belly and that’s what’s making me a little frustrated.

As for goal, I just want to trim down, lose 35 pounds.

I suggest you read these 2 articles:

As mentioned before, how you lose weight is genetic, and varies from person to person. Stomach fat is usually the last to go; you will be losing weight from all areas at a steady pace it just may not be as noticable at first - give it time. Also, since body parts like breasts are made up of largely adipose tissue, this is one place where some of your fat loss is likely to go.

A couple ways to rev up the metabolism is to actually do some form of cardio(HIIT), tabata training and eating more often - food itself actually burns fat if used correctly. Other than that, spot reduction isn’t something thats likely to work so you just have to hang in there and let your body shape itself.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Ok thanks for the articles - I’ll read them before I post any questions. Anyone else can feel free to post up their ideas too. Thanks.

I hope you take the 7 habits very seriously because they will help you with your goal a great deal. I think the habit you need to concentrate on the most is getting more protein, as your veggie and fruit intake seem to be really good as is. You could probably use more dietary fat too.

Hi Dan,

I’ve read the articles, they are great I think I’m doing most of what its suggesting - as for dietary fat, I snack on almonds and have fatty fish every night as my main protein + I take two fish oil capsules before bed every night.

I’d like to hear what people have to say about training tips to shift belly fat, yeah I know allllll about spot reducing but if it you look at my stats my body is not exactly in great shape anyway.

Tip for shifting belly fat would be to continue to lose more fat off the rest of your body.

Cardio at least 3 times a week.

You are going to have to get into shape to lose the belly fat and then great shape for a toned firm tight midsection.

You’ll get there, apply yourself diligently with exercise as you do with your diet.

Well according to Bob the Trainer on Biggest Loser the way to lose belly fat is by doing crunches! What a tool.

and he gets paid to say that on tv.

you are just going to have to lose body fat all the way around to reduce your tummy.

Good for you for starting on the right path. Remember, you have eat enough calories for your base metabolic rate. You can find a calculator for that on the internet. Then keep your diet 90% clean. You cannot out train a bad diet. If you can’t eat clean you won’t see results

Good luck!

Thanks guys - far out, its not called stubborn fat for no reason. My measurement hasn’t changed since June, isn’t that just a bit not normal though?

I think my diet is as clean as it can get, no rubbish at all, I don’t have cravings.

OctoberGirl, I’ll google that info, thanks for the tip :wink:

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Well according to Bob the Trainer on Biggest Loser the way to lose belly fat is by doing crunches! What a tool.

and he gets paid to say that on tv.[/quote]

I thought I was the only one that caught that gem! So what does my lovely wife immediately do? Get on the floor and do bicycle crunches. I didn’t say anything. It’s a minor victory if she attempts exercise.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

and he gets paid to say that on tv.

you are just going to have to lose body fat all the way around to reduce your tummy.

Good for you for starting on the right path. Remember, you have eat enough calories for your base metabolic rate. You can find a calculator for that on the internet. Then keep your diet 90% clean. You cannot out train a bad diet. If you can’t eat clean you won’t see results

Good luck!

[/quote]

I saw that too. They definitely tell them to say that. They should be embarassed! That was definitely a milk plug by Jillian too. Not that milk is bad for you even on a fat loss diet, though many would do better without it. But come on.

Milk is bad on a diet? Even organic milk?? omg.

[quote]wishme wrote:
Milk is bad on a diet? Even organic milk?? omg.[/quote]

Maybe not bad, but it’s not ideal in my opinion.

Holy cow (pun not intended) I can’t believe it, so what I stick to beans and eggs and fish for my protein…just love my milk…

Milk is bad if you are trying to lose weight. It has sugars, carbs all that stuff.

If you are doing the Anabolic Diet switch to cream or half and half.

If you are taking ZMA, dairy can interfere with the absorption.

reduce you carbs, switch to half and half and you will be fine.

have full fat cottage cheese, cheese

good job

Just looking at your diet it doesn’t seem like you’re getting enough protein. I’d need your bodyfat for an accurate number of how much is enough, but 180 grams per day would be the rule of thumb.