T Nation

Being Sore The Next Day

What I'm wanting to know from different point of view from everybody is what I'm going to ask is a good idea or not.

Basically I train a lot of extreme martial art movements at an open gym sesstion in a gymnastics gym I train at. Movements such as backflips, front tucks, 360 backflips (fulltwists) Aerials, etc. Well the next morning I get up and pretty much yell cause I'm so sore in the morning. My question is:

Since it takes me about 2-4 days to heal up would it be a good idea to drink a protein shake of some sort before I got to sleep so that it could help the muscles rebuild better?

Do you do any types of stretching or anything like that before?

sure as hell wont hurt. Try it

It looks from your profile like you have extensive athletic experience in just these types of activities. I'm surprised you still get sore like that. You may want to examine your whole diet.

To reduce DOMS, consider the protien drink right after your workout along with 1000 iu of Vit E. I wouldn't take more than 2000 iu Vit E per day, though.

Then again, if I tried doing backflips, I'd be the new spokesman for quadraplegics.

I know I definitly wouldn't be posting this because I'd probably be in a body cast at the local rehab facility.

Exactly a single protien shake before bed probably won't provide a noticable improvement in recovery. For the quickest recovery you need to be eating right all the time

i think the protein and carbs would help more than useless 1000 vite.

cell membranes tend to be already satured with vitamin E and getting any more is useless.

you may want to try eating more in general, if i dont get enough calories I notice I am sore for longer.

My recovery tricks:

You probably like to practice on an empty stomach (I know I do when it's really intense) but no more than two hours ahead of time have a shake with slow digesting carbs and 40 grams micellar protein. (Example: half a baked yam, vanilla Metabolic Drive, cup of lowfat yoghurt, water, cinnamon and nutmeg: taste like pumpkin pie).

Serving of Surge IMMEDIATELY afterwards (or one of those Isopure recovery drinks: anything with fast absorbing protein and carbs).

You eat enough protein, don't you? There's lots of argument about how much is enough, but at least 150 grams. Count how much you eat. (If you're like most people: a couple eggs in the morning, a turkey sandwich at lunch, and a piece of chicken or two for dinner doesn't get you even half way there).

Warm up THOROUGHLY. Be sweaty for a full twenty minutes before you get to the hard stuff, and cool down afterwards, rather than abruptly walking off the mat at the end of an intense session without cooling down.

A brutally cold 3 minute icy shower right after will work wonders too, but it's not for the faint of heart.

You're taking your fish oil right?

Good luck.

I wasn't challenging the gods of karma, just showing some respect to a guy who is doing backflips and other gymnastic moves. I can be pretty sure if I tried one, I'd break my neck. I apologize for being so subtle in my post.

My post about the vitamin E has research supporting and contradicting it. The presumed benefit isn't from the tissue-building function of Vit E, but from the free radical scavenging properties of it.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/18/1676_55045

This report on the study doesn't state the fitness levels of those tested nor did it test after resistance training, so you can take it or leave it based on your own opinion.

Here is an exerpt from John Berardi's site;

www.johnberardi.com/articles/supplementation/rusty.htm

Vitamin E - This lipid soluble vitamin is the most heavily researched antioxidant vitamin as members of the vitamin E family play roles in immunity, aging, exercise, heart disease, and cancer. For exercisers, muscle trauma can be attenuated with vitamin E supplementation, having favorable effects on lipid peroxidation, release of tissue enzymes, and protein damage/catabolism. While very large doses of vitamin E can be toxic, there is a wide therapeutic range.

However, to maximize the benefits while minimizing the risks, 400IU should be taken 1-2x per day (in addition to what your diet provides).

Like I said, make your own decision.

I think we agree. I have nothing, but respect for these kinda guys and meant the same thing you did. I know I could never do what they do.

I think that you should thoughtfully consider your use of the word "extreme" and the manner in which it adulterates the dignity of your sport.

I hear it does wonders for muscle soreness.