Being Poor

Finish school get great grades spend time doing constructive activities. At 17 you should be looking into your own future so you can help out when your the sole breadwinner. Working at fast food places helps you with temporary disposable income, if you are not using that money for your family or bettering yourself your wasting your time there. Also don’t get side tracked by booze easy girls, drugs ect,these will waste your time and money. Invest in your own future by doing what will help it.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Having the water cut off isn’t terrible. You can flush most toilets by carrying water in 5 gallon buckets. Shower at school etc.

I would echo everyone else’s remarks about getting a job. Any job and don’t give up until you find one. Cash is your friend. Hard labor pays even in this shitty economy. And when you work, bust your ass, don’t complain, finish the job, clean up your workspace. Don’t ever back talk your boss or employer. Look the part.

A few tips on being poor.

1. You are going to be treated like a second class citizen in certain social circles , don’t believe that bullshit.

2)Don’t get in legal trouble or knock up girls.

1. Make stellar grades, this will help with scholarships etc.

2. Don’t fall into the drug and alcohol abuse trap.

5)Learn the difference between wants and needs.

6)Shop at thrift stores and learn to fix things rather than buying new shit.

1. Don’t eat out, the 7$ for a burger and fries could buy a whole lot more food in the grocery store. Packing your lunch to a jobsite will save money.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Goodluck. [/quote]
I am far from poor and I still do 2,5, 6, 7.

I like Crown Royal reserve and Glenlivet 12 year old scotch so cant say I avoid #4[/quote]

So do I. Still fix about everything. I know a few older guys that fucking loaded(10mil to 50mil range). They are still very frugal.

Huge difference between drinking good booze and overtly self destructive substance abuse.
[/quote]
Very true, but I still consider it a “indulgence” to drink good booze.

I personally dont fix everything anymore, but I have a few handy guys who work for me that do. Its cheaper and more cost effective to get them to fix it and pay them. [/quote]

It is that’s why I drink bud ice. Get’s the job done.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
Do you hunt or fish? I have no idea how much tags are around you, but I imagine they aren’t too bad in Texas. Go get some free meat this season man. I know hunting saves me a boatload of money on meat.[/quote]

Hunting is largely a business in Texas.

100$ a week for a 12 yr old moving bricks in the 80’s sounds about right. minimum wage was around $3.30/hr or around $135/40 hr pre tax. I’m probably one of if not the oldest person here. when I was 15 the minimum wage was @ 1.60/hour. when I was 11 I got a job loading hay bales for $5/day and .05 a bale and that was damn good money. when I hit 13 I got a job tearing down old stockyards. swinging a sledge hammer to knock the boards out, removing the nails, and loading the lumber for $3/hr and got breakfast and lunch. you do what you have to do.

I was dirt poor. didn’t live in a house with running water until I was 14 or 15. you kept the seat to the outhouse in the house in the winter so your ass didn’t freeze to it. did people make fun of me? hell yeah, and not just because of being poor. it did bother me some but I soon realized they weren’t worth my time as I could work any of them into the ground.

keep looking for another job if chic-fil-a isn’t enough. living in Tx look at feed stores and tack shops as they’re usually looking for a strong back and have bulletin boards that list part time jobs from throwing hay, to repairing fences, to mucking stalls. hard work but you might make some decent money and people tell each other when they have someone that’s done a good job so one job can easily lead to another.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
Do you hunt or fish? I have no idea how much tags are around you, but I imagine they aren’t too bad in Texas. Go get some free meat this season man. I know hunting saves me a boatload of money on meat.[/quote]

Hunting is largely a business in Texas.
[/quote]

Ah ok, seems like a lot of states in the west are that way.

[quote]Very true, but I still consider it a “indulgence” to drink good booze.

I personally dont fix everything anymore, but I have a few handy guys who work for me that do. Its cheaper and more cost effective to get them to fix it and pay them.[/quote]
I make my own.
I decided that if I were to drink nothing else for the rest of my life, it would have to be red wine
So in my parents’ otherwise empty polytunnel, I planted a grape vine, selecting a black hamburg grape to cope with the local climate. I used baker’s yeast to start the culture, but who gives a damn if it’s not 100% authentic?
I make about 5 gallons a year and it tastes great. I’ve never looked back.

[quote]Der_Steppenwolfe wrote:

[quote]Very true, but I still consider it a “indulgence” to drink good booze.

I personally dont fix everything anymore, but I have a few handy guys who work for me that do. Its cheaper and more cost effective to get them to fix it and pay them.[/quote]
I make my own.
I decided that if I were to drink nothing else for the rest of my life, it would have to be red wine
So in my parents’ otherwise empty polytunnel, I planted a grape vine, selecting a black hamburg grape to cope with the local climate. I used baker’s yeast to start the culture, but who gives a damn if it’s not 100% authentic?
I make about 5 gallons a year and it tastes great. I’ve never looked back.[/quote]

Damn.

You took it farther than I ever would have.

I plan of distilling rum.

They sell distills, but I wonder if I would not learn more by building my own, though killing myself with what I produce seems to be a risk.

However, being able to produce hard liquor seems to be a valuable skill to have.

No lie there, man.
Be VERY careful about not getting methanol out.
I’ve never distillled, as it’s illegal in this country, but good luck to you.

No lie there, man.
Be VERY careful about not getting methanol out.
I’ve never distillled, as it’s illegal in this country, but good luck to you.
[/quote]

Illegal.

Oh my…

Yeah, it sucks. They only really give distilling licences to large commercial firms. Frankly, if I could, I would raise hell about this. I wouldn’t go as far as a shoot-out with special branch, but I’d definetly wave a banner in the streets. As far as I’m concerned, it’s my right to process my own produce as I see fit. And some of my clients prefer to pay in kind. This fact therefore seriously impacts the profitability of my ‘business’.

Yeah, it sucks. They only really give distilling licences to large commercial firms. Frankly, if I could, I would raise hell about this. As far as I’m concerned, it’s my right to process my own produce as I see fit. And some of my clients prefer to pay in kind. This therefore fact seriously impacts the profitability of my ‘business’.[/quote]

I mean, illegal is such an ugly word, which, in a world where governments try to play God, has lost all meaning.

What are they gonna do, stake you out 24/7 to catch you on the one afternoon where you assemble and use a distill?

Hardly.

Winston, take it away:

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.

They can and have used deadly force over this. It’s mainly targetted at the Polish lads who are making their own vodka on the scale of tens of gallons a night, but frankly, if the government is going to punish free enterprise of that nature, how can we make any progress? Also, as far as I’m concerned, they’re suppressing the production of a carbon-neutral biofuel. Madness.

There was an explosion a while back in Lincolnshire. Turns out they were distilling right next to the police station. If those plods weren’t knocking it back themselves, then I’m Danish. I imagine the conversation went something like

“Vladimir, how many times have I told you not to smoke? It’s bad for y…BANG!”

Poor bastards.

[quote]Jathan.young wrote:
I’m 17 and I do have a job at chick fil a, but it’s pretty damn hard trying to get a lot of hours in. I help when I can
[/quote]

Sounds like you’re on the right path.

Btw, if you can find some older folks to work for…around their house, yard work, gutters on the weekends. They usually pay cash and much higher than minimum wage.

[quote]There was an explosion a while back in Lincolnshire. Turns out they were distilling right next to the police station. If those plods weren’t knocking it back themselves, then I’m Danish. I imagine the conversation went something like

“Vladimir, how many times have I told you not to smoke? It’s bad for y…BANG!”

Poor bastards.[/quote]
Thinking about this, I’m treating it as a joke but it’s actually serious.
Exploited workers were killed in an industrial explosion, and under law they were criminals for doing their JOB?

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Having the water cut off isn’t terrible. You can flush most toilets by carrying water in 5 gallon buckets. Shower at school etc.

I would echo everyone else’s remarks about getting a job. Any job and don’t give up until you find one. Cash is your friend. Hard labor pays even in this shitty economy. And when you work, bust your ass, don’t complain, finish the job, clean up your workspace. Don’t ever back talk your boss or employer. Look the part.

A few tips on being poor.

1. You are going to be treated like a second class citizen in certain social circles , don’t believe that bullshit.

2)Don’t get in legal trouble or knock up girls.

1. Make stellar grades, this will help with scholarships etc.

2. Don’t fall into the drug and alcohol abuse trap.

5)Learn the difference between wants and needs.

6)Shop at thrift stores and learn to fix things rather than buying new shit.

1. Don’t eat out, the 7$ for a burger and fries could buy a whole lot more food in the grocery store. Packing your lunch to a jobsite will save money.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Goodluck. [/quote]

These are good tips for anyone. I was not poor growing up, but my father made me think we were.
[/quote]

…Which isn’t a bad thing. I especially agree with number 5.

[quote]silverblood wrote:
100$ a week for a 12 yr old moving bricks in the 80’s sounds about right. minimum wage was around $3.30/hr or around $135/40 hr pre tax. I’m probably one of if not the oldest person here. when I was 15 the minimum wage was @ 1.60/hour. when I was 11 I got a job loading hay bales for $5/day and .05 a bale and that was damn good money. when I hit 13 I got a job tearing down old stockyards. swinging a sledge hammer to knock the boards out, removing the nails, and loading the lumber for $3/hr and got breakfast and lunch. you do what you have to do.

I was dirt poor. didn’t live in a house with running water until I was 14 or 15. you kept the seat to the outhouse in the house in the winter so your ass didn’t freeze to it. did people make fun of me? hell yeah, and not just because of being poor. it did bother me some but I soon realized they weren’t worth my time as I could work any of them into the ground.

keep looking for another job if chic-fil-a isn’t enough. living in Tx look at feed stores and tack shops as they’re usually looking for a strong back and have bulletin boards that list part time jobs from throwing hay, to repairing fences, to mucking stalls. hard work but you might make some decent money and people tell each other when they have someone that’s done a good job so one job can easily lead to another.[/quote]

Great stuff right here. The lessons and sense of value you learn at such an early age will only serve you well as you go through life. I think so many self made millionaires or “millionair-next-door” type grew up exactly like this. It teaches you that the joy is in the journey. It is very healthy to live simple.

[quote]Bod-of-Phwoar wrote:

[quote]My brother used to help some guy in the neighborhood carry bricks into his yard. I think he was maybe 12 at the time, but he was bringing home a nice $100 a week, tax free (and this was in the 80’s!)

S[/quote]
Maybe I’m paranoid/cynical, and no offence to Stu, but is this ringing alarm bells for anyone else?[/quote]

Nah, I used to do chores for neighbors and some would pay pretty well. There was nothing shady about it.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:

[quote]My brother used to help some guy in the neighborhood carry bricks into his yard. I think he was maybe 12 at the time, but he was bringing home a nice $100 a week, tax free (and this was in the 80’s!)

S[/quote]
Maybe I’m paranoid/cynical, and no offence to Stu, but is this ringing alarm bells for anyone else?[/quote]

Nah, I used to do chores for neighbors and some would pay pretty well. There was nothing shady about it. [/quote]

In the 80’s a 100 bucks for bricks into a yard? Maybe he worked as a helper for a landscaper or something. Because that is a lot of loot.

Hey, maybe he was an apprentice. Being a brickie has always been one of the best payed manual employments. It’s skilled, and the work really does need to be good. If you house falls on you in the middle of the night, who do you think pays?

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:

S[/quote]

Nah, I used to do chores for neighbors and some would pay pretty well. There was nothing shady about it. [/quote]

In the 80’s a 100 bucks for bricks into a yard? Maybe he worked as a helper for a landscaper or something. Because that is a lot of loot.

[/quote]
you’re probably also looking at more than 8 hrs a day. 10hrs/day X 5/days = $2/hr. if he was keeping the bricklayers loaded the work goes smoother and faster so it’s not really a lot of money to pay.