Being Poor

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Bod-of-Phwoar wrote:

[quote]My brother used to help some guy in the neighborhood carry bricks into his yard. I think he was maybe 12 at the time, but he was bringing home a nice $100 a week, tax free (and this was in the 80’s!)

S[/quote]
Maybe I’m paranoid/cynical, and no offence to Stu, but is this ringing alarm bells for anyone else?[/quote]
No. What English alarm bells are going off.[/quote]

I also am English and my alarm bells are firmly staying on. I realise twelve is an easy age to be naive, but it would take upwards of 200 dollars and at least two pints of free mineral water a day for me to be a guy’s brick-skank.[/quote]
I have worked since I was 12.

How old are you two?[/quote]

I am nineteen. That last comment was also in jest, just in case it were to be taken seriously at all, just found the paedophile implications rather exploitable for humour’s sake.

Getting paid that to move heavy objects at twelve sounds a good haul, makes a change from having to pay to be able to move heavier objects.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]My brother used to help some guy in the neighborhood carry bricks into his yard. I think he was maybe 12 at the time, but he was bringing home a nice $100 a week, tax free (and this was in the 80’s!)

S[/quote]
Maybe I’m paranoid/cynical, and no offence to Stu, but is this ringing alarm bells for anyone else?[/quote]

I also am English and my alarm bells are firmly staying on. I realise twelve is an easy age to be naive, but it would take upwards of 200 dollars and at least two pints of free mineral water a day for me to be a guy’s brick-skank.[/quote]

I think they think “brick” is a drug reference.

[/quote]
Really?

They think this is Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels? [/quote]

Hmm, I took it as the guy thinking it was a man wanting to watch a sweaty twelve year old move cinder blocks around his garden. I’m going to jump out of this one until things clear themselves up again and our perceptions all become less entwined.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

[/quote]
Really?

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

[/quote]
Really?

Hmm, I took it as the guy thinking it was a man wanting to watch a sweaty twelve year old move cinder blocks around his garden. I’m going to jump out of this one until things clear themselves up again and our perceptions all become less entwined.[/quote]

Pedo’s are everywhere. You can never be too careful.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

[/quote]
Really?

Hmm, I took it as the guy thinking it was a man wanting to watch a sweaty twelve year old move cinder blocks around his garden. I’m going to jump out of this one until things clear themselves up again and our perceptions all become less entwined.[/quote]

Pedo’s are everywhere. You can never be too careful. [/quote]
Are you talking about 49r fans again?

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

[/quote]
Really?

It moves the bricks across the yard!!

Another thought: A friend of mine is a single mother who is struggling to pay the bills and put food in the kids’ mouth from day to day. One of the things poor people can do is help each other. So I look after the kids sometimes so’s she can have some time off. If you ask, it’s suprising how decent people can be. Find somebody you can talk to.

Having the water cut off isn’t terrible. You can flush most toilets by carrying water in 5 gallon buckets. Shower at school etc.

I would echo everyone else’s remarks about getting a job. Any job and don’t give up until you find one. Cash is your friend. Hard labor pays even in this shitty economy. And when you work, bust your ass, don’t complain, finish the job, clean up your workspace. Don’t ever back talk your boss or employer. Look the part.

A few tips on being poor.

1. You are going to be treated like a second class citizen in certain social circles , don’t believe that bullshit.

2)Don’t get in legal trouble or knock up girls.

1. Make stellar grades, this will help with scholarships etc.

2. Don’t fall into the drug and alcohol abuse trap.

5)Learn the difference between wants and needs.

6)Shop at thrift stores and learn to fix things rather than buying new shit.

1. Don’t eat out, the 7$ for a burger and fries could buy a whole lot more food in the grocery store. Packing your lunch to a jobsite will save money.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Goodluck.

I’m 17 and I do have a job at chick fil a, but it’s pretty damn hard trying to get a lot of hours in. I help when I can

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

[/quote]
Really?

It moves the bricks across the yard!!
[/quote]

Sweet jezussss

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
Having the water cut off isn’t terrible. You can flush most toilets by carrying water in 5 gallon buckets. Shower at school etc.

I would echo everyone else’s remarks about getting a job. Any job and don’t give up until you find one. Cash is your friend. Hard labor pays even in this shitty economy. And when you work, bust your ass, don’t complain, finish the job, clean up your workspace. Don’t ever back talk your boss or employer. Look the part.

1. You are going to be treated like a second class citizen in certain social circles , don’t believe that bullshit.

1. Don’t eat out, the 7$ for a burger and fries could buy a whole lot more food in the grocery store. Packing your lunch to a jobsite will save money.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Goodluck. [/quote]

These are good tips for anyone. I was not poor growing up, but my father made me think we were.

[quote]Jathan.young wrote:
I’m 17 and I do have a job at chick fil a, but it’s pretty damn hard trying to get a lot of hours in. I help when I can
[/quote]

Get a second job, and always reply to a Thank You with My Pleasure. I still love that every time I go to Chick fil a. I wish more places would do that.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

I’m 35. Maybe it’s the cultural divide, but $100 in the 80’s for a 12 year old sounded suspiciously generous (what would equivalent today be?). Again, maybe I’m too suspicious of people. Op, sorry for the derail, hope your family’s luck changes soon.

Can I just say, if it’s at all possible, STAY IN SCHOOL?
sometimes just doing the washing up or something is a big help.
BTW, if you can’t get clean water, people should be bloody protesting about it on the streets.

Also keep an eye on what the women in your household are spending money on :slight_smile:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

S[/quote]

I’m 35. Maybe it’s the cultural divide, but $100 in the 80’s for a 12 year old sounded suspiciously generous (what would equivalent today be?). Again, maybe I’m too suspicious of people. Op, sorry for the derail, hope your family’s luck changes soon.[/quote]
Okay was wondering what you were seeing and I was missing.

Yes that does seem a little steep for the time, however I would be willing to bet that the employer knew what was going on with the 12 year olds home life.

I am far from poor and I still do 2,5, 6, 7.

I like Crown Royal reserve and Glenlivet 12 year old scotch so cant say I avoid #4

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I like Crown Royal reserve and Glenlivet 12 year old scotch so cant say I avoid #4[/quote]

So do I. Still fix about everything. I know a few older guys that fucking loaded(10mil to 50mil range). They are still very frugal.

Huge difference between drinking good booze and overtly self destructive substance abuse.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I like Crown Royal reserve and Glenlivet 12 year old scotch so cant say I avoid #4[/quote]

So do I. Still fix about everything. I know a few older guys that fucking loaded(10mil to 50mil range). They are still very frugal.

Huge difference between drinking good booze and overtly self destructive substance abuse.
[/quote]
Very true, but I still consider it a “indulgence” to drink good booze.

I personally dont fix everything anymore, but I have a few handy guys who work for me that do. Its cheaper and more cost effective to get them to fix it and pay them.

Do you hunt or fish? I have no idea how much tags are around you, but I imagine they aren’t too bad in Texas. Go get some free meat this season man. I know hunting saves me a boatload of money on meat.