Being in the Military Sucks

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]AttackOfTheChris wrote:
I’ve got some friends who were/are in the army and marines and they loved it. Some people just enjoy being badass slayers of men (or at least the life style of the military lol.) I’ll be leaving for basic in a few days, I hope I love it as much as they do. [/quote]
You will dude. What branch you going into?

There’s bad times, and good times. After a while, you’ll look back and laugh at the bad times, and the good times.

Enoy the hell out of it, keep your head down and your mouth shut. Don’t volunteer for ANYTHING in bootcamp. Never, never, never!

NEVER![/quote]

I am going into the Army. Yeah, that’s basically what I hear from most people, especially the part about never volunteering. I’m pretty fucking excited actually.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

I’ve got some friends who were/are in the army and marines and they loved it. Some people just enjoy being badass slayers of men (or at least the life style of the military lol.) I’ll be leaving for basic in a few days, I hope I love it as much as they do. [/quote]

There’s bad times, and good times. After a while, you’ll look back and laugh at the bad times, and the good times.

Enoy the hell out of it, keep your head down and your mouth shut. Don’t volunteer for ANYTHING in bootcamp. Never, never, never!

NEVER![/quote]

I am going into the Army. Yeah, that’s basically what I hear from most people, especially the part about never volunteering. I’m pretty fucking excited actually.

[/quote]
Good for you dude. Kick some ass.

I’ve got almost 10 years in this man’s Air Force, and I’ve loved it for the most part. I agree about conscription sucking ass, but in a volunteer military you get to have a lot og fun.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

NEVER![/quote]

[/quote]

Good luck man, any idea where your training fort is?

[quote]Voeoe wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Voeoe wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Voeoe wrote:
Well I agree it teaches you a lot as a person. Okay, I’ve learned to deal with a lot of bullshit and gotten into the best shape of my life. Doesn’t change anything. I never would’ve joined an army if I didn’t have to. Maybe some day I’ll be more positive about it.[/quote]

There’s the problem, sounds like you joined up for the wrong reasons.[/quote]
I’m not american, so there’s a cultural difference here.

[/quote]

Conscription is terrible.

Here’s what sci-fi legend Robert A. Heinlein (author of Starship Troopers, the best book about military training in my opinion)had to say about conscription:

“I also think there are prices too high to pay to save the United States. Conscription is one of them. Conscription is slavery, and I don’t think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called.If a country can’t save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say: Let the damned thing go down the drain!”
[/quote]
That’s a good quote but doesn’t really apply to my country. There would be no Finland without conscription, we’d be a shitty part of Russia or Soviet Union.[/quote]

YEP! Finland would be another 2nd rate Russian Republic right now, with its resources redirected for sale by Putin 'n Pals.

As for the conscription quote… that is a load bullshit… or in other words, it is the “Kool Aid” Americans have been drinking since the Carter administration.

[quote]Remu_87 wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

NEVER![/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks man. Fort Sill, Oklahoma for basic then off to Fort Sam Houston, Texas for AIT.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

NEVER![/quote]

[/quote]
Good for you dude. Kick some ass.[/quote]

Thank you, I shall!

[quote]Remu_87 wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

NEVER![/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks man. Fort Sill, Oklahoma for basic then off to Fort Sam Houston, Texas for AIT. [/quote]

Excellent, I just finished my training earlier this year if you have any questions.

SINGAPORE HAS CONSCRIPTION TOO. 1 YR 8 MONTHS MORE TO GO. life sucks. ):

all males after finishing junior college/polytechnic/ITE have to go through National Service for 1 yr 10 mths.

):

[quote]LTKO wrote:
SINGAPORE HAS CONSCRIPTION TOO. 1 YR 8 MONTHS MORE TO GO. life sucks. ):

all males after finishing junior college/polytechnic/ITE have to go through National Service for 1 yr 10 mths.

):[/quote]
Sucks to be you haha. 7 days man!

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

NEVER![/quote]

x2

Try to get through the whole time without the DI learning your name.

[quote]Neospartan wrote:

[quote]Voeoe wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Voeoe wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Voeoe wrote:
Well I agree it teaches you a lot as a person. Okay, I’ve learned to deal with a lot of bullshit and gotten into the best shape of my life. Doesn’t change anything. I never would’ve joined an army if I didn’t have to. Maybe some day I’ll be more positive about it.[/quote]

There’s the problem, sounds like you joined up for the wrong reasons.[/quote]
I’m not american, so there’s a cultural difference here.

[/quote]

Conscription is terrible.

Here’s what sci-fi legend Robert A. Heinlein (author of Starship Troopers, the best book about military training in my opinion)had to say about conscription:

“I also think there are prices too high to pay to save the United States. Conscription is one of them. Conscription is slavery, and I don’t think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called.If a country can’t save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say: Let the damned thing go down the drain!”
[/quote]
That’s a good quote but doesn’t really apply to my country. There would be no Finland without conscription, we’d be a shitty part of Russia or Soviet Union.[/quote]

YEP! Finland would be another 2nd rate Russian Republic right now, with its resources redirected for sale by Putin 'n Pals.

As for the conscription quote… that is a load bullshit… or in other words, it is the “Kool Aid” Americans have been drinking since the Carter administration.

[/quote]

I’d like you to qualify that a little more. What “Kool Aid” carter bullshit?!??!

I don’t think it would be for me, for people who love the challenge and the feeling that they are protecting the world…I imagine it would be pretty cool.

A plus is being friends with a lot of adventurous kick ass people. I try to get friends to go hiking…but we haven’t gotten to round 10 of Nazi Zombies…
A friends father was in the army and during time off they went white water rafting…rock climbing…sky diving etc. Jealous.

I think the kool-aid he is referring to is the idea that the nation is here to serve you, and you have no responsibilities to uphold the very freedom you enjoy.

That being said, whenever people mention a new draft, “so people will see what its like”, fuck that. I volunteered into the Navy, and along the way I have worked with a lot of people who were in it just for the college money. Cool, whatever floats your boat. But you still have to work while you are here.

As far as a draft, I don’t want to have to babysit all the sheep who are suddenly forced into the sheepdog role. If they were sheepdogs, they would likely already be here, or doing LE.

On another note, Israel has mandatory service. Everyone(M & F) serves two years, either military or national police. And it works for them, because they have a lot more national pride than most other countries(the US included). We like to talk about how proud we are to be Americans, the Israelis actually walk the walk. And this is a country which has been at war almost constantly since its inception.