Being at a Dead-End Job

[quote]LoRez wrote:
One of the few ways that still seems to make sense for switching jobs every few years is to get in with a large multinational (e.g., GE) that has several operations. You can switch jobs, career paths, and even industries, but still remain an employee of the same parent company. That gives you the opportunity of a decent raise with each switch while keeping your 401k, vacation, etc.[/quote]

Plenty of good advice/posts

I use my dad as an example, he works for a fortune 500 company and has been there for 35yrs. He makes good money and I’d be happy to make what he makes or more at his age. When he was young he switched around companies a few times before settling in at the big one, I like that approach.

My question is this, considering the experience that my next job will require, is it best to look now at only 1.5 yrs into my career? Or wait until I have 3, or even 5 yrs of experience in order to land a better job than I would with my 1.5 yrs experience?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Just be lucky that you had your annual review…

I’ve been at my company for 1 yr (labor day) and 4mo…and I still haven’t got my review (and assumed raise)!!!

I filled out my review sheet and gave it to my boss 2 weeks before labor day. he said “great we will do your review on or before your start date (sept 4th)”

bunch of fucking bullshit and nothing I can do except look for another job which I’m not sure makes a whole lot of sense since I only have about a yr of experience

My mortgage is going up, my health insurance is going up and I’m still making a rookie salary…BULLSHIT[/quote]

You mean, you expect to get a raise? Like it’s just something you deserve?

I’ll never understand that mentality.

But I would gently remind your boss about the annual review, maybe once every two weeks or even once a week. And if nothing happens in the next couple weeks, talk to someone in HR about what to do about it.[/quote]

When you are performing and you know there is room for more money, why wouldnt you expect a raise? I practically demanded it even before my review because i knew that i was kicking ass, exceeding expectations and quite frankly, that the company needed me, and 1 month later i had a 7.5k raise.

If you dont think you deserve it, you’re not going to get it.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
carbiduis, have you done anything to deserve a raise?

If your employer isn’t taking care of you, assuming you are going above and beyond, then either leave or make your case man to man(or woman) in unambiguous, but tactful terms.
[/quote]

Every. Single. Day.

I don’t fuck around/ waste time
I contribute and influence things positively
I NEVER hesitate to get something done (over lunch, staying late)
I am DRIVEN to get things done
I put the customer first
I have a great CONSISTENT attitude at work and never let my emotions or ego affect what or how I do my job.[/quote]

Ultimately though, has your role expanded? How are you adding tangible value to the team?

Unfortunately the intangible traits don’t justify a raise IMO you need to show where you are saving the company money. I was in the exact same dilemma 6 months ago and what sold my boss was the fact I was taking on significantly more work. I also asked for a reasonable bump which was at about market value.[/quote]

Absolutely, I’ve taken on extra projects while my department was down to just two of us, while there was three, and even four project managers 2 yrs ago. I had 21 projects 2mo ago. I’ve taken on bigger value projects and have become a lot more self-reliant, basically “managing” without help. Heck I throw my ideas out there and we actually used it in a project of mine. It helped the customer save space in their facility and gives us a design to use again in the future.

I know my efforts are appreciated, my boss is just being a dolt about getting my review done.[/quote]
Or he is waiting to the start of the year so your numbers are on next years budget.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
One of the few ways that still seems to make sense for switching jobs every few years is to get in with a large multinational (e.g., GE) that has several operations. You can switch jobs, career paths, and even industries, but still remain an employee of the same parent company. That gives you the opportunity of a decent raise with each switch while keeping your 401k, vacation, etc.[/quote]

I use my dad as an example, he works for a fortune 500 company and has been there for 35yrs. He makes good money and I’d be happy to make what he makes or more at his age. When he was young he switched around companies a few times before settling in at the big one, I like that approach.

My question is this, considering the experience that my next job will require, is it best to look now at only 1.5 yrs into my career? Or wait until I have 3, or even 5 yrs of experience in order to land a better job than I would with my 1.5 yrs experience?
[/quote]
I tend to believe it takes the 10,000 hours of work to become fully functional in your job.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

If your employer isn’t taking care of you, assuming you are going above and beyond, then either leave or make your case man to man(or woman) in unambiguous, but tactful terms.
[/quote]

Every. Single. Day.

I put the customer first
I have a great CONSISTENT attitude at work and never let my emotions or ego affect what or how I do my job.[/quote]

Ultimately though, has your role expanded? How are you adding tangible value to the team?

Unfortunately the intangible traits don’t justify a raise IMO you need to show where you are saving the company money. I was in the exact same dilemma 6 months ago and what sold my boss was the fact I was taking on significantly more work. I also asked for a reasonable bump which was at about market value.[/quote]

Absolutely, I’ve taken on extra projects while my department was down to just two of us, while there was three, and even four project managers 2 yrs ago. I had 21 projects 2mo ago. I’ve taken on bigger value projects and have become a lot more self-reliant, basically “managing” without help. Heck I throw my ideas out there and we actually used it in a project of mine. It helped the customer save space in their facility and gives us a design to use again in the future.

I know my efforts are appreciated, my boss is just being a dolt about getting my review done.[/quote]
Or he is waiting to the start of the year so your numbers are on next years budget.[/quote]

Ya, is your company calendar year? It could easily be a budget timing issue.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Every. Single. Day.

I put the customer first

Or he is waiting to the start of the year so your numbers are on next years budget.[/quote]

Ya, is your company calendar year? It could easily be a budget timing issue. [/quote]

That or he is just being a shit.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Just be lucky that you had your annual review…

I’ve been at my company for 1 yr (labor day) and 4mo…and I still haven’t got my review (and assumed raise)!!!

I filled out my review sheet and gave it to my boss 2 weeks before labor day. he said “great we will do your review on or before your start date (sept 4th)”

bunch of fucking bullshit and nothing I can do except look for another job which I’m not sure makes a whole lot of sense since I only have about a yr of experience

My mortgage is going up, my health insurance is going up and I’m still making a rookie salary…BULLSHIT[/quote]

You mean, you expect to get a raise? Like it’s just something you deserve?

I’ll never understand that mentality.

But I would gently remind your boss about the annual review, maybe once every two weeks or even once a week. And if nothing happens in the next couple weeks, talk to someone in HR about what to do about it.[/quote]

uhhh, YEA, I do EXPECT a raise. I don’t like the entitlement mentality either, but when you know what you’re worth and you’re not getting paid for it, you begin to expect it…AAAAAAnnd plus the fact that the 2 or three times that I have asked my boss about my review he says “just remember that any pay increase will be retro active back to your start date” saying that even though he’s late with the review I won’t be missing out on my money.

If I told you what I got paid at this point you may have a chuckle to yourself.

HR? haha, we don’t have HR, theres about 150 people at my company and no one is looking over my boss, so theres that. He is a huge procrastinator, there are 2 others who are due to receive their review ahead of me, so he’s late on their review as well.

Let me ask you, when (if ever) should I bring up the fact that I need* (not want) more money at this point? I’ve been suggested to say so by my dad, but it doesn’t seem like the right justification for doing a review.
[/quote]

Let me start by saying I’ve never gotten a raise that I didn’t ask for.

Needing more is justification in part, but only part. The rest should be based on verifiable facts that you are able to list and describe what part you had in that success. It has to be the right thing for the employer to do and they need to see the reasons why it is.

I’d also bet that there is a good chance that your employer is holding out until someone walks into his office and asks directly with good specific reasons. If you don’t feel confident that you have earned it you aren’t going to do that.

(you generally, not specifically)

[/quote]

X2

ASK. I always keep my resume current and float it occasionally to see what’s out there. If you get a better offer, take it to your employer and let them know that they need to exceed it. If you just sit there taking it on the chin, they will know you are a bitch and continue to exploit you.

Companies that promote a culture of “loyalty” only do that so they can screw their employees. Good companies will pay you for your value and for your performance. Navigate the maze of positions so that you are in the spot that gives you the opportunity to provide massive value. That will generally yield massive reward.

It’s an uncomfortable conversation to initiate, for sure. But EVERY successful person has figured out how to have that conversation, how to do it diplomatically, and how to leverage their position for a better salary. It’s a gray area. But if you don’t step up to the plate and swing, you’ll never hit a home run.

First, decide if you truly love the work you are doing, regardless of the employer. If you don’t, find what you truly love to do and make it happen. The longer you wait the harder it gets to do it. You will wake up one day and say to yourself what the fuck happened to my life if you don’t. If you do love you work but not the employer, then quietly look elsewhere, particularly your own company or in partnership with friends. It sucks to work for someone else.

Having your own business is hard work but you are in charge of your future. I prefer this all day over someone else having control of my future. If you have concerns about speaking with your employer this says a lot about whether you should be there and also about whether they want you. If they promoted a less qualified, less productive person over you, all loyalty is out the window, this doesn’t mean you become an asshole, but business is about business. Obviously they didn’t care personally about you, did they?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Every. Single. Day.

I put the customer first

Ya, is your company calendar year? It could easily be a budget timing issue. [/quote]

That or he is just being a shit.[/quote]

Ha! True. It’s difficult to be objective about ones effort especially at work!

[quote]LoRez wrote:

This is really the way to go. I’ve been doing it for years now with the same company through mergers, buyouts, etc. The name has changed 4 times in the last 8 years.

Now it seems like they’re trying to package us up to be sold. There was a big early retirement deal last year, we just took a vacation cut this year. Good people with less than 10 years of service are leaving in droves and taking others with them. I can’t count how many corporate managers I’ve seen come and go.

I’m to the point where I can take the next deal that comes by and make my exit. The politics is ridiculous and everyone is afraid of their own shadow.

Rob

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]

I’m in a Fortune 500 company for many years myself. I’ve hung in there despite some real tough lean years that almost put us out of business. I’m going to have a great retirement unless the global economy collapses, just my luck.

As far as leaving a job for another, it looks better on your resume to have some years at one place. My son was talking about leaving a good machine shop job, he’s there less than a year and the shop has a good rep and tons of work. I told him to sit tight and get some more experience. Unless where you work is toxic and intolerable to come in every day and I’ve seen plenty of those places.

Rob

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Every. Single. Day.

I put the customer first

That or he is just being a shit.[/quote]

Our fiscal year ends in september…like 2 weeks after I got hired. So i dont think thats it…It COULD be due to healthcare bullshit, seeing the budget, but I also dont think thats the case…

I always go back to just assuming my boss is a dolt. He waits 1-2mo to do engineering reviews. People bitch at him for it, rightfully so.

Anyone looking for a freelance writer/shittalker?
Going to start applying to desk jobs soon, graduating this December. I’m praying for something good, I have done tonnes of hands on and recreational facility type work. Need something better to take care of my family. What entry level jobs do you guys recommend for someone with a social scieneces degree. I am thinking stats can or something, I royally screwed my gov test, and then proceeded to ace a uni exam the following day, the breaks I tell yah.

Well I finally got my review, only 4mo late. I got a 2.9% raise which to me seems a little low, I was thinking 4-6% would have been reasonable.

The review was bullshit, just a bunch of “good job! You’re getting better at your job” nothing terribly constructive. I could tell my boss was a little nervous, he doesn’t like doing the reviews. He said its “his New Years resolution to do the reviews on time”…lol, ok, whatever dude.

I’ll be pounding the job search in July/august since september will be my 2yr mark in my career.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Well I finally got my review, only 4mo late. I got a 2.9% raise which to me seems a little low, I was thinking 4-6% would have been reasonable.

The review was bullshit, just a bunch of “good job! You’re getting better at your job” nothing terribly constructive. I could tell my boss was a little nervous, he doesn’t like doing the reviews. He said its “his New Years resolution to do the reviews on time”…lol, ok, whatever dude.

I’ll be pounding the job search in July/august since september will be my 2yr mark in my career.[/quote]

That could have something to do with budget/the economy. I used to get a handy dollar raise every year for the first 5 years I worked with my company. Then management changed hands and half our company was bought by a big corporation. Last year I got .50 and this year 27 cents - a measly 1.9%. And they called it a merit raise, saying I exceeded expectations. And that’s not even the worst thing about working there. I don’t know that it’s any better anywhere else and that’s part of what keeps me there. But if you know you can get better - go do it!

We budget cost of living “raises” at 3% so if you really are a good (top) employee, starting looking.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

I’ll be pounding the job search in July/august since september will be my 2yr mark in my career.[/quote]
Uh yea that is not a good raise. That is basically a cost of living raise.

Sorry dude.

Ready to move to Houston?

People need to learn the company you work for is not in business to take care of your financial condition. They are there to leverage your work. They pay you whatever and then go out and make 3 times that amount for themselves.

The only person that is responsible for your financial condition is YOU.

Anytime I want a raise, I go out and purchase some sort of income producing asset. Right now is rent properties, Single Family Homes and Apartment Complexes. Last year I invested in a start up Trucking/Shipping company. I am going to get my investment back and a 10% return and still own 5% of the company, so I will get a dividend from the company every year. Do this till you meet and exceed your bills and then you are financially independent. You work because you want to not because you have to.

[quote]Biskui wrote:
Hello Nation,

So, I have had my annual meeting with my managers and, despite good results and a very positive appreciation, after 6 years at my job, it appears that my current responsabilities and tasks are going to be broaden (I am an engineer, working in pre-sales conception in a 700 people company), because it was a very good year.

Good news, eh ? But there is a point. I am not going to be the one doing this new job. They took someone else, friend of an other manager and working in another unit which had bad results.

The guy has less experience, less qualification and worst results than me and I seriously feel buttraped about this.

It seems every decision is done and I have not been consulted on the issue. I am very very disappointed.

Every day I wake up at 7, go to work, get back at 7PM, I get a decent wage but nothing really fancy for my qualification.

If I were alone, I would probably seek for another job, but I am quite stuck between this quite comfort zone, that is going to become an uncomfort zone, and doing something bigger, but taking risks for my couple & incoming family.

Fact is, I cannot stand my new boss. I mean I dreamt of hurting him in a very non consensual way. I know this is going to be hell. He is the kind of guys who loves to befriend bosses.

How would you react ? My feelings are so messed up right now that I have trouble staying cold-blooded. I suck at office politics…
[/quote]

Look for another job. Money will be a bit tighter so you’ll have to budget smarter for a while but your family will respect and support you for doing the right thing and not succumbing to becoming a frustrated drone!

Best of luck!! As long as you’re healthy and have qualifications, you’ll always land on your feet, no matter what life throws at you!

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
People need to learn the company you work for is not in business to take care of your financial condition. They are there to leverage your work. They pay you whatever and then go out and make 3 times that amount for themselves.

The only person that is responsible for your financial condition is YOU.

Anytime I want a raise, I go out and purchase some sort of income producing asset. Right now is rent properties, Single Family Homes and Apartment Complexes. Last year I invested in a start up Trucking/Shipping company. I am going to get my investment back and a 10% return and still own 5% of the company, so I will get a dividend from the company every year. Do this till you meet and exceed your bills and then you are financially independent. You work because you want to not because you have to.[/quote]

You do realize how fortunate you are, right?

Not that it happens by accident, but certainly not the norm. And, Congrats on reaching a point at which you can do that.