Being at a Dead-End Job

Hello Nation,

So, I have had my annual meeting with my managers and, despite good results and a very positive appreciation, after 6 years at my job, it appears that my current responsabilities and tasks are going to be broaden (I am an engineer, working in pre-sales conception in a 700 people company), because it was a very good year.

Good news, eh ? But there is a point. I am not going to be the one doing this new job. They took someone else, friend of an other manager and working in another unit which had bad results.

The guy has less experience, less qualification and worst results than me and I seriously feel buttraped about this.

It seems every decision is done and I have not been consulted on the issue. I am very very disappointed.

Every day I wake up at 7, go to work, get back at 7PM, I get a decent wage but nothing really fancy for my qualification.

If I were alone, I would probably seek for another job, but I am quite stuck between this quite comfort zone, that is going to become an uncomfort zone, and doing something bigger, but taking risks for my couple & incoming family.

Fact is, I cannot stand my new boss. I mean I dreamt of hurting him in a very non consensual way. I know this is going to be hell. He is the kind of guys who loves to befriend bosses.

How would you react ? My feelings are so messed up right now that I have trouble staying cold-blooded. I suck at office politics…

[quote]Biskui wrote:
I suck at office politics…
[/quote]
Then get better at this.

start looking for a new job.

I wouldn’t stay if there fucking you they have you as a bitch and will keep you that way. I find at any job once they know you’ll bust your ass for nothing they’ll keep you there because your good at it and willing to not stir the hive.
1, ask for a raise
2, seek out a higher paying job
3,comfort zones need to be broken now and then to make you feel alive.
4, Know the pay range you desserve, stick to your guns you have experience and qualifications.
5, Keep working until you find a better job
6, Last day at old job shit on your new bosses desk.

Go in the bosses office and close the door and windows and kick the shit out of yourself. When you’re done and right as security or someone else comes in the door you need to be at his feet on your knees preferably with some of your blood on his hands and/or clothes. You should get a decent chunk of change out of that to start a new business.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Go in the bosses office and close the door and windows and kick the shit out of yourself. When you’re done and right as security or someone else comes in the door you need to be at his feet on your knees preferably with some of your blood on his hands and/or clothes. You should get a decent chunk of change out of that to start a new business. [/quote]

I am Jack’s wholehearted agreement with this statement.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Go in the bosses office and close the door and windows and kick the shit out of yourself. When you’re done and right as security or someone else comes in the door you need to be at his feet on your knees preferably with some of your blood on his hands and/or clothes. You should get a decent chunk of change out of that to start a new business. [/quote]
Fight Club…good movie

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Biskui wrote:
I suck at office politics…
[/quote]
Then get better at this.[/quote]

Yeah, this.

[quote]Biskui wrote:
Hello Nation,

So, I have had my annual meeting with my managers and, despite good results and a very positive appreciation, after 6 years at my job, it appears that my current responsabilities and tasks are going to be broaden (I am an engineer, working in pre-sales conception in a 700 people company), because it was a very good year.

Good news, eh ? But there is a point. I am not going to be the one doing this new job. They took someone else, friend of an other manager and working in another unit which had bad results.

The guy has less experience, less qualification and worst results than me and I seriously feel buttraped about this.

It seems every decision is done and I have not been consulted on the issue. I am very very disappointed.

Every day I wake up at 7, go to work, get back at 7PM, I get a decent wage but nothing really fancy for my qualification.

If I were alone, I would probably seek for another job, but I am quite stuck between this quite comfort zone, that is going to become an uncomfort zone, and doing something bigger, but taking risks for my couple & incoming family.

Fact is, I cannot stand my new boss. I mean I dreamt of hurting him in a very non consensual way. I know this is going to be hell. He is the kind of guys who loves to befriend bosses.

How would you react ? My feelings are so messed up right now that I have trouble staying cold-blooded. I suck at office politics…
[/quote]

Be very care in the way you approach this. Many employees have been shit canned for searching for new jobs.

And office politics are important. Humans don’t make decisions on based performance and fairness.

[quote]Jlabs wrote:

6, Last day at old job shit on your new bosses desk.[/quote]

Sorry, wrong, even if this would otherwise be satisfying. The best revenge is to act like a man, walk into the boss’s office, look him or her right in the eye, smile confidently, shake his or her hand and thank them for the opportunities you had at the company. Then wish him or her best of luck in their future endeavors.

This is more professional and more of a kick in the balls than childish acts of sabotage. Always, always, always act like a professional who is above all the petty bullshit, especially when you are on your way out the door.

[quote]Biskui wrote:
Hello Nation,

[/quote]

Your three options are really to learn how to play the game and do what needs to be done to succeed there; find another job; or start your own business. Crying about your situation and acting out revenge fantasies in your head won’t help. If you are worth what you say you are worth someone else will hire you or you can succeed on your own.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Jlabs wrote:

Sorry, wrong, even if this would otherwise be satisfying. The best revenge is to act like a man, walk into the boss’s office, look him or her right in the eye, smile confidently, shake his or her hand and thank them for the opportunities you had at the company. Then wish him or her best of luck in their future endeavors.

This is more professional and more of a kick in the balls than childish acts of sabotage. Always, always, always act like a professional who is above all the petty bullshit, especially when you are on your way out the door.
[/quote]

Yeah…

Even if I have terrible feelings of revenge, I don’t want to express them right now. I will try to stand with dignity.

Regarding office politics, I am not so bad at them, I am just not responsible of evertyhing that not-happened to me.

I think it s the way it because it is such. There is no room for me anymore.

Also, get yourself to the point where you are comfortable taking those risks. Whatever that means for you, personally, figure out how to do that.

Part of it is financial – reducing your monthly cash outflow, increasing your net worth, ensuring you have a liquid emergency fund to cover a few months, and other assets that you can liquidate over a longer time period.

Part of it is job skills, making sure you’re actually a good candidate on paper; figure out what similar jobs are looking for from a qualification standpoint and make sure you’ve got those. I’d suggest talking to a few recruiters for some help with that (it’s in their interest to help you find a better job, so take advantage of their knowledge).

And then the rest of it is mental, knowing that you can take certain risks and learning to trust yourself to work through the consequences.

Even if you never leave your current job, working on that will make you a better employee where you are.

[quote]Biskui wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Jlabs wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah…

Even if I have terrible feelings of revenge, I don’t want to express them right now. I will try to stand with dignity.

Regarding office politics, I am not so bad at them, I am just not responsible of evertyhing that not-happened to me.

I think it s the way it because it is such. There is no room for me anymore. [/quote]

Keep your head up and do what you need to do; keep moving forward. Business relationships sometimes just run their course. If it is time to go it is time to go, just be smart about how you go about it. If you do decide to leave, it might be the best thing that ever happens to you. If you decide to stay, do your best to move forward in the organization and be the best you can be. Any other approach will make you miserable.

Seems like you got LJBFed by your company.

My advice is to NEXT! and to show them that other companies have nice subsidiaries too.

I am assuming though that you have your “FUCK YOU” fund in order, meaning your next 6 months expenses are stuffed into your mattress or something.

If you barely make rent they have you by the balls and they sense it.

Just be lucky that you had your annual review…

I’ve been at my company for 1 yr (labor day) and 4mo…and I still haven’t got my review (and assumed raise)!!!

I filled out my review sheet and gave it to my boss 2 weeks before labor day. he said “great we will do your review on or before your start date (sept 4th)”

bunch of fucking bullshit and nothing I can do except look for another job which I’m not sure makes a whole lot of sense since I only have about a yr of experience

My mortgage is going up, my health insurance is going up and I’m still making a rookie salary…BULLSHIT

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

I’ve been at my company for 1 yr (labor day) and 4mo…and I still haven’t got my review (and assumed raise)!!!

I filled out my review sheet and gave it to my boss 2 weeks before labor day. he said “great we will do your review on or before your start date (sept 4th)”

bunch of fucking bullshit and nothing I can do except look for another job which I’m not sure makes a whole lot of sense since I only have about a yr of experience

My mortgage is going up, my health insurance is going up and I’m still making a rookie salary…BULLSHIT[/quote]

You mean, you expect to get a raise? Like it’s just something you deserve?

I’ll never understand that mentality.

But I would gently remind your boss about the annual review, maybe once every two weeks or even once a week. And if nothing happens in the next couple weeks, talk to someone in HR about what to do about it.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

My mortgage is going up, my health insurance is going up and I’m still making a rookie salary…BULLSHIT[/quote]

You mean, you expect to get a raise? Like it’s just something you deserve?

I’ll never understand that mentality.

But I would gently remind your boss about the annual review, maybe once every two weeks or even once a week. And if nothing happens in the next couple weeks, talk to someone in HR about what to do about it.[/quote]

uhhh, YEA, I do EXPECT a raise. I don’t like the entitlement mentality either, but when you know what you’re worth and you’re not getting paid for it, you begin to expect it…AAAAAAnnd plus the fact that the 2 or three times that I have asked my boss about my review he says “just remember that any pay increase will be retro active back to your start date” saying that even though he’s late with the review I won’t be missing out on my money.

If I told you what I got paid at this point you may have a chuckle to yourself.

HR? haha, we don’t have HR, theres about 150 people at my company and no one is looking over my boss, so theres that. He is a huge procrastinator, there are 2 others who are due to receive their review ahead of me, so he’s late on their review as well.

Let me ask you, when (if ever) should I bring up the fact that I need* (not want) more money at this point? I’ve been suggested to say so by my dad, but it doesn’t seem like the right justification for doing a review.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

Let me ask you, when (if ever) should I bring up the fact that I need* (not want) more money at this point? I’ve been suggested to say so by my dad, but it doesn’t seem like the right justification for doing a review.
[/quote]

The question is not whether you need* more money but rather are you worth more. By you I am saying a general you, not you personally. You should be paid fair market value irrespective of what your debts are.

carbiduis, have you done anything to deserve a raise?

If your employer isn’t taking care of you, assuming you are going above and beyond, then either leave or make your case man to man(or woman) in unambiguous, but tactful terms.