T Nation

Being Asked if You Train

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
CT Rock, arent you also like 300 pounds ?[/quote]

yessir, I’m big from a distance lol

Glass City love!

Even at my largest, I always tried to play it down. “I try to stay in shape” is probably my most common answer, and then I change the topic.

S

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
love the “do u have a six pack” question… i get that all the time when im out talkin to the ladies… its like they see u got some muscle and they have to ask… :)… too bad my abs are shit right now, been a bit lazy lately with my cardio… but thats gonna change startin this week! shit, its almost summer time…[/quote]

This happened to me for the first time a week or two ago, and I was really confused. As flattering as it was to have someone 10 years older than me ask if they could rub my abs in a stranger’s kitchen, I was still a bit freaked out.

My wardrobe hasn’t really kept up with my size gains, so it’s kind of obvious. I normally only get comments from people who know me fairly well but haven’t seen me in a few months.

People usually ask me when I do at lat spread in a crowd to establish my position as the Alpha Male.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
People usually ask me when I do at lat spread in a crowd to establish my position as the Alpha Male.[/quote]

Damn I thought that was my signature move. I like to flick my hair as if it were a lion’s mane and stomp my right foot powerfully as I hit it.

[quote]Kassad wrote:
My wardrobe hasn’t really kept up with my size gains, so it’s kind of obvious. I normally only get comments from people who know me fairly well but haven’t seen me in a few months.[/quote]

yea, all my clothes i spent some money on are way too small for me now… so when i go out, i look like a douche… getting big is expensive, but well worth it :slight_smile:

At a bbq one week all of my family members and friends ask me if I am juicing, and I am very light. My family and friends are just mostly fat and in horrid shape.

Two weeks later I went to a strong man competition that was being run by a training center a couple of towns away from me. When asking the owner (who was female) about the facility, she asked “Are you working out now?”. So I went from “steroid user” to “have you ever even seen a barbell” in two weeks. In the strongman setting I looked more like the not so huge guy I am.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
Somebody asked me if I was a “runner” the other day.

Took a couple days to shake that one off.[/quote]

Ouch, Yeah people usually ask me that when I’m eating my postworkout meal at the Trough which usually consists of 4-6 chicken breasts, 8-10 cups of spring salad, about 1/4 cup of olive oil with a spritz of balsamico and 2 oatmeal cookies. The one that roasts my chicken is: “Do you play football?” When I was a fucking bean pole it was: “Do you play basketball?” NO FUCKERS! NO! I participate in a sport that requires even greater mental investment.

Am I the only one who get’s annoyed about that question?

Maybe it’s cuz I know the two questions that come next…what do you take(possibly hinting at steroids), or how much can you bench?

And then there is always the fact that the questions are half joking around, so as not to let on to the rest of the crowd that they are jealous as hell.

Not that directly most of the time, but people “allude” to it all the time…

Good example is the other day: me, my wife and 11 month old daughter, talking a walk around the block in the stroller. My neighbor from across the street says to me that my daughter is getting big - then he does the crab pose and says “like her Dad” - so I was just like - “Yea, we’re getting her into the gym right away…”

Anytime I’ve ever been in a bar talking to a girl, they always say “Oh, you obviously lift weights…”

So, in that respect yea, but I’ve also gotten plenty of people who asked if I played footbal. One chick years ago asked if I was a “wrestler”…lol…

I’ve also been mistaken for the bouncer at many bars and clubs - never bounced in my life…

I wear lots of elitefts shirts and sweatshirts so the fact that i have pics of dudes (DAVE TATE) lifting weights on my clothes brings up the subject on its own.

at work i am “the healthy guy” to everyone and only a few know that i lift.

i showed a co worker pics from my last PL meet and she saw me in a singlet and said “daym you have monster legs! but you’d never know it at work!”

i too do my best to downplay my size, strength. wearing big, dark clothing seems to help. but the summer is coming…

[quote]B rocK wrote:
i too do my best to downplay my size, strength. wearing big, dark clothing seems to help. but the summer is coming…[/quote]

Why? If you don’t mind my asking. Is it an office thing, or are you uncomfortable with the label of bodybuilder?

That’s not to say I think people should be wearing string tanks and shorts everywhere they go, but I was just wondering exactly why you choose to downplay it?

If it comes up, I’ll talk about it a bit, many times get asked for advice, but I don’t make a huge deal about it, but I will address it without issue if someone asks…

I get the healthy guy thing, like a group of the employees wanted to order pizza one night, somebody started to ask me if i would want some, and then somebody made a shitty comment about me probably just having a protein bar or shake instead.

Of course it was the fat chick.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
I get the healthy guy thing, like a group of the employees wanted to order pizza one night, somebody started to ask me if i would want some, and then somebody made a shitty comment about me probably just having a protein bar or shake instead.

Of course it was the fat chick.[/quote]

I get that all the time, but I just make a joke about it. I think people think we are snotty and conceded thus taking so much care and effort to have a built physique.

Although pulling out a chicken breast in an auditorium full of about 400 people raises some eyebrows. Hell sometimes I will eat a full meal in class, fuck everyone else and fuck you if the smell bothers you.

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
Hell sometimes I will eat a full meal in class, fuck everyone else and fuck you if the smell bothers you. [/quote]

ahhhh, so YOU’RE the guy!

[quote]yerba wrote:
Cron391 wrote:
Hell sometimes I will eat a full meal in class, fuck everyone else and fuck you if the smell bothers you.

ahhhh, so YOU’RE the guy!
[/quote]

Ha! I always get the strangest looks when I bring a block of cheese into class with me or something like that. Shit does make my breath rank, though… gum is necessary.

a block of cheese…really?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
a block of cheese…really?[/quote]

Man I’m in a big ass hurry most mornings… I’ll grab whatever is available. At least it’s Colbyjack and not Bleu cheese, brah.

[quote]GetTheHIT wrote:
Yea a lot, but what pisses me off is hearing “You better lay off those steriods!” (I’m not on the juice)[/quote]

I’ve actually been told that (that I’m on the juice), even though I’m not big at all. Relative to my size I have well developed shoulders and traps (traps used to be a lot bigger a decade ago), but the heaviest I’ve been is 175lbs (my current weight), and I have a bit of a gut.

With those stats, to me, it is beyond my comprehension how/why someone can actually think I’m on the juice (not that there is anything wrong with that.) People nowadays are completely out of touch with physical fitness. Either fucking bone skinnies or fat asses, that’s all they know. Anyone beyond those parameters must be on the juice!!!(10+1)!!

They cannot comprehend how someone can have some semi-decent amount of muscle, even if just a little bit, just by lifting regularly. That’s something I find to be very sad. I used to try to explain that I’m not on the juice and that you don’t need the juice unless you want to be really big.

But I’m tired, and I just shake my head and ignore their comments. Too many retards to try to reason with.