T Nation

Being a Woman* in Philosophy

[quote]pushharder wrote:
What a blatant copout by someone who prides himself in being so fastidious and confident in his doctrinal assertions about virtually any other theological subject.
[/quote]

You want me to make an assertion?

The earth is flat*, hell is on the bottom, the universe revolves around the earth, and the universe came into existence all at once thousands of years ago.

• This isn’t doctrinal assertion, it is a scientific assertion as I’ll explain in the next post.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
What a blatant copout by someone who prides himself in being so fastidious and confident in his doctrinal assertions about virtually any other theological subject.
[/quote]

Push, inform me how I am making a making a ‘blatant cop-out’?

I’ll remind you that unlike Protestants, as a Catholic I do not and cannot declare doctrine or dogma, that is left up to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. There is six theories or models on how the earth became to be and progressed to the current state that the Magisterium has approved. This does not mean I have to believe in any single one of them. However, what I am required to believe is this:

1. God created the Universe from nothing.
  2. God supernaturally fused man’s immortal soul with man’s material body, as opposed to naturally doing it.
  3. The first humans freely choose to disobey God and left the presence of God.

That is the doctrinal assertion that I am required to defend. Now, if you mean that I am coping out of making a scientific assertion, then maybe so. However, I wouldn’t say I am.

Coping out would mean that I have the ability to do such a thing in the first place, but for the time being I am occupied with getting back my spiritual and prayer life, being at the local soup kitchen, studying for two degrees, running part of my family’s business, and caring for an ailing family member going through chemo and radiation.

I am deeply sorry if you feel I am coping out because I do not feel I have properly gone through the full bounty of 2000 years of literature on the subject, plus the unfathomable amount of recent information to make an informed decision.

This issue of young earth creation or theistic evolution or big bang theory is, well an issue that Catholics can disagree on. There is no doctrine saying which of these theories that we have to believe, as they are theories and not laws of nature.

I understand that they are doctrine for you, but Catholics the only doctrine that really exists in this situation is those requirements that I posted above.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:

Which Episcopalians?[/quote]

Does it matter?[/quote]

Yes, yes it does. If I am supposed to follow Episcopalians I have to know which ones I should follow. One set of Episcopalians doesn’t hold to women’s ordination, neither for priests are bishops. Another set of Episcopalians believes that women can be ordained and has ordained them all the way up to Bishops.

Another entire set of Episcopalians sees that their church is backsliding so they are joining the Catholic Church. We even have a special rite for Anglican/Episcopalian clergy to come into the Catholic Church as Catholic Clergy, sometimes even taking whole parishes (building and people). They can do this while holding most of their English liturgical traditions.

So, yes it is important as the Episcopalian Church’s actions are split. Some ordain, some do not (but stay), and some do not (and leave).[/quote]

Why does that matter? None of you can prove your beliefs are real, any more than the other. My point was that at least Episcopalians recognize equality for women, despite using the same bible you do.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]forlife wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:

Does it matter?[/quote]

Yes, yes it does. If I am supposed to follow Episcopalians I have to know which ones I should follow. One set of Episcopalians doesn’t hold to women’s ordination, neither for priests are bishops. Another set of Episcopalians believes that women can be ordained and has ordained them all the way up to Bishops.

Another entire set of Episcopalians sees that their church is backsliding so they are joining the Catholic Church. We even have a special rite for Anglican/Episcopalian clergy to come into the Catholic Church as Catholic Clergy, sometimes even taking whole parishes (building and people). They can do this while holding most of their English liturgical traditions.

So, yes it is important as the Episcopalian Church’s actions are split. Some ordain, some do not (but stay), and some do not (and leave).[/quote]

Why does that matter? None of you can prove your beliefs are real, any more than the other. My point was that at least Episcopalians recognize equality for women, despite using the same bible you do.
[/quote]
Now if the NFL would just follow suite…

[quote]forlife wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:

Does it matter?[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I guess I can’t prove my believes any more than the other if you ignore history, tradition, and reason. They don’t use the same Bible, they use part of our Canon of Scripture. Yet, they do not have the authority to interpret that Canon of Scripture. :slight_smile: