T Nation

Being a Big 400m Runner?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but,
i am about 185 pounds and 6 feet. I run the 400m in college. I do not want to get any smaller, can i maximize my 400m potential at this weight?

Post this in the conditioning forum. Most in the powerlifting forum aren't exactly out running 400m sprints....

With that being said, some of the best sprints are bigger than 185.

Hard to tell without seeing you but 400 meter runners might be a bit bigger at that level. Make sure you're doing a good weightlifting program to supplement your running. Olympic lifts, done correctly are vital at your age. That will help you keep your size and make you more powerful at whatever size you are.

This would be a question for your coach and/or trainers. Your body composition, weight distribution, and muscular development can all make a difference in whether 185 lbs is an appropriate weight. I'm not sure about sprinters, but I know decathletes routinely carry at least that much weight at that height, so it is possible if perhaps not ideal.

It also depends on what your goals are. If you want to be the best 400M runner possible, focus on what your coach tells you to do for training and pay less attention to your weight, whether it goes up or down. If you really really want to be over 185, consequences be damned, that's fine too, but realize that your weight has become more important to you than your 400M time.