Being 18.

Push,

I have to agree with Ajax, there are some people here who can make a thread, without question you are one of them. Whether it’s here or PWI, I always look forward to your input, your wisdom and insight is greatly appreciated.

Much love to you Push, my drunk uncle.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

1. Don’t go to college. The debt isn’t worth it. When I was attending the costs of colleges just started soaring and the interests rates started rising. Not worth it. See if you can cheat the system by working and going to school part time and not incurring any debt. Despite what people will tell you, the debt isn’t worth it, the higher salary you will make will not offset the loans.
    [/quote]

I agree with parts of this, but I don’t think you should tell anyone to flat out not go to college. There are ways to make it cheaper or even free and depending on what you want to do with your life the benefit can easily outweigh the costs (if you can’t find a way to have no costs, there are a lot of scholarships and grants that you can get if you try).

Just weigh your options and if college isn’t right for you, then don’t be afraid to not go despite your parents and teachers making it sound like you’ll be a homeless waste of space if you don’t. It’s not a requirement but can still be a very good thing to do. It all depends.

I got a degree that is not as usable as others (my fault for not weighing my options before making a decision on my major), but I got a full scholarship for my first 2 years at a community college then after I graduated the state school accepted me because of it without looking at anything else (didn’t matter what my SAT scores were or GPA was; they were both good, for the record). Didn’t live on campus and stayed in state for 2 years. The school loan wasn’t a problem to pay off, even during siginificant periods of little income and a very short period of no income (that were due to my own laziness, not the degree of usefullness that my college education was).

Everything else I would say has already been said, but just in general think ahead and don’t look at life like it will last forever. Young people tend to have that outlook on it and it’s amazing how quickly things will happen around and to you that change that outlook.

On the college thing,

I found schooling well worth it. But for most people it’s a waste. Getting the most out of school is a hard line to walk. Treat school like an investment. Pick a field that you like that is guaranteed to pay for itself, and pursue it fully, no matter what it takes. But spend the rest of your time meeting people, partying, and travelling. If you don’t think you can do the hard work and still keep up having a real life on the side, then don’t go to school.

Working in a bar while you’re young is a really good gig if you’re a student. Just don’t become the guy that never leaves the industry.

Start training smart (you’re in the right place for that) and build a killer physique and the good habits related to building a killer physique as early as possible. Practice talking to all kinds of people. These are the kinds of habits and skills that will provide benefits in all facets of life.

Remember that few things worth having will ever be handed to you. The beauty is that what you want in life can be yours if you’re willing to step up and take it.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Benanything wrote:
To all the older guys? What do you guys remember bout your lives between the age of 16-18…

[/quote]

Boners that just flat-out wouldn’t quit. Boners. Boners. Boners. Annoying, ever-present boners.
[/quote]
This and the reason I was a father at 17

Well, I guess il share where I’m at as an 18 year old

Plans: military service. It’s all I have ever wanted to do, since I was a little kid. Initially planned in enlisting, but after talking with recruiters decided to go the officer route. Applied to many schools, got accepted into quite a few, and made it into my dream school of the United States Naval Academy. I leave July 1st for plebe summer. Knowing that I was going into a physical job, I made sure to play sports all through high school. Varsity football and Wrestling, as well as competing in a couple powerlifting competitions for fun.

I can’t know for sure what I will remember when I’m older, but if can give a rough idea. First off is my girlfriend. We have been together 3 years, and I’m honestly pretty crazy for this girl. She really helped push me to better myself as a person, and idk where my life would be right now without her. The sex is also pretty great, so that doesn’t hurt. Second will be my friends, I have a solid group of guys who I would trust with my life. We fight and bicker at times, but at the end of the day we have each others backs.
Third will be high school, and how ridiculous it is. Now I was very focused on my academics, and I hated it. Every night I would be up studying until at least 1, then wake up at 5 for either a run or swim before school. Sleep was a gift. I was constantly tired for 2 years (I totally screwed around my first 2 years of high school) but it payed off. Ended up with a 34 ACT and a 4.3 GPA

So I suppose that I’ve learned hard work really does pay off. Sometimes it’s okay to sacrifice things in order to better yourself. It’s important to believe in something greater than yourself, be it god, country, humanism, whatever the hell you need to make yourself a better and more resilient person.

Well, that’s all I got

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ajax wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ajax wrote:

The more things change, the more they stay the same, Push? OK, so maybe annoying no longer applies, but otherwise?

[/quote]

How is it you know me so well?
[/quote]

Push, I’ve been reading this site since 2004, if not 2003. In that time there have been a lot of epic posters (contributors would be a better term. The forums sometimes have some of the best content on the site). You are among the legends. One of those who make this site what it is.

If you didn’t exist, T-Nation would have had to invent you.[/quote]

I’m totally, fucking, flabbergastingly flattered.

All I can think of doing in response is posting this gif, a true boner inducer if there ever was one (thank you, Rogue Vampire, this bud’s for you).
[/quote]

Your posts are gratitude enough, Push. They are one of the highlights of this site, and I don’t even mean the gifs as much as I do the wit and humor.

Most of the people I interact with at work on a daily basis are pleasant enougth, but rather buttoned up, introspective, and guarded. And those are the intelligent ones. The not so bright ones are, well, just that: dull. And lifeless. So visits to this site sometimes act as a tonic. You and some of the other old-timers have a joi de vivre that refreshes, that reminds the rest of us that life is something that you gotta take by the horns, or by the balls, and sometimes by the horns and the balls at the same time. And have fun while doing it, too.

To the OP: you already received some very good advice in this thread, and the mere fact that you are asking the question suggests you are light years ahead of your peers.

The only thing I would add is don’t confuse being adventuresome with being reckless and stupid. Absolutely try new things and take risks - that is what youth is for. To be shy and passive in life is unmanly. But take smart risks, where the potential loss is not irreplaceable and the potential payoff is big. Knowing the difference between stupid and smart risks usually is not difficult. In my experience, 95% of the people who screwed up big time when they were young knew plenty well in the back of their minds that they were being foolish at the time.

Taking life wisdom from a rock or pop song is generally something better left to ditzy teenyboppers, but this recording manages to offer some timeless verities along with a tune:

Wrap it before you tap it.

[quote]Ajax wrote:
Absolutely try new things and take risks - that is what youth is for. To be shy and passive in life is unmanly. [/quote]

That what life is for and living it as a pussy will not do at any age.

This thread is gold, I just turned 18 two days ago.

Don’t listen to anyone, especially on the internet. They don’t know you and don’t know better.

Learn to manage money. Keep things simple. Learn a skilled trade or get a profitable college degree. Keep your health up. Have fun. Take risks. Make mistakes and learn from them. After some time, find a woman you can stand and who can stand you.

I’m 24 now. When I was 18 I didn’t have my shit together, and I had no idea what was important.

I’m just now finally coming around.

The biggest difference is that in the next 5 years or so you’ll find that you have a lot more executive control over your behaviors. I didn’t appreciate the lack of control I had regarding my impulses until my brain finished maturing and I started noticing a difference.

Without a proper executive figure in your life to take over that role in your undeveloped brain, its going to be hard to get anything done.

I strongly suggest avoiding anything that will impact brain development until most of the growing is finsihed up, and you’ve moved into the refinement stage which begins in your early twenties.

Things like drugs and alchohol, while doing limited damage in older age are profoundly influential on brain development.

I remember I was ignorant to the the importance of taking ones time, or the benefits that having a disciplined awareness. It took me a few years to learn the importance of working harder, not smarter.

I was less autonomous compared to what I am now. over the last 6 years I have grown into more of a man, and with that self reliance, and compassion have taken hold. Before, especially with women I was willing to compromise my values and sense of self. Now days I think things through, make the proper decisions in alignment with what my personal morality dictates to be proper, and if anyone doesn’t agree it doesn’t bother me a bit.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Don’t listen to anyone, especially on the internet. They don’t know you and don’t know better.[/quote]

Hmmm…[/quote]

Obviously if someone know something and you want to learn, you have to listen, but I don’t agree with asking people on the internet or generally what to do with your life when you are 18 or any age.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Don’t listen to anyone, especially on the internet. They don’t know you and don’t know better.[/quote]

Hmmm…[/quote]

Obviously if someone know something and you want to learn, you have to listen, but I don’t agree with asking people on the internet or generally what to do with your life when you are 18 or any age.[/quote]

You didn’t get it. If the OP takes your advice he will be contradicting your advice.
[/quote]

Like star treck when they blow up the robot by telling it that everything they say is a lie and then say they are lying. Mind blown!,!

[quote]Defekt wrote:
I strongly suggest avoiding anything that will impact brain development until most of the growing is finsihed up, and you’ve moved into the refinement stage which begins in your early twenties.

Things like drugs and alchohol, while doing limited damage in older age are profoundly influential on brain development.
[/quote]

This is great advice. I wrote a paper on the neuroscience last year about underage drinking and if I knew what I know now, I’d have held off on the drinking in high school.

On the other hand, of course, there’s always the whole “don’t be that deadbeat high school friend who’s a total drag”, but if you can go to parties and have fun without drinking, your buddies will appreciate having a DD on weekends.