T Nation

Being 18.


#1

To all the older guys? What do you guys remember bout your lives between the age of 16-18. To the guys not that old, what do you think about your lives right now? What are ya plans/were your plans and how are you headed towards there/how did you fuck up your plan?


#2

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#3

Until you hit 30 you wont appreciate what a ridiculous amount of physical energy you have at that age, make the most of it.

Other than that as a man you improve with age - more stature, money, comfortable with yourself etc. Plenty to look forward to


#4

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Benanything wrote:
To all the older guys? What do you guys remember bout your lives between the age of 16-18…

[/quote]

Boners that just flat-out wouldn’t quit. Boners. Boners. Boners. Annoying, ever-present boners.
[/quote]

The more things change, the more they stay the same, Push? OK, so maybe annoying no longer applies, but otherwise?

To the OP, here are some thoughts to chew on, with musical accompaniment:


#5

Save money. Learn to budget. Know what you earn and what you spend. Make an effort to set aside something extra every month.

Why?

If I had lived like I live now, and had been a good saver, at age 37 I could have had a net worth of $100,000+ liquid, plus a house on top of that!!

It’s hard to think of the future when you’re young, but in retrospect it seems so easy.

I just used a calculator to find that $250 saved per month, at 3% interest, would amount to over $76,000 after 19 years. That’s just junk saving, with no investment.

Do it right son and make us proud!


#6

It sucked. I enjoy myself a how lot more now than I did when I was 16-18.


#7

Wrap it up.

Every. Single. Time.


#8

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#9

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Wrap it up.

Every. Single. Time. [/quote]
Yes, this.

But also try to bed all girls above a 7.

Every. Single. One.

tweet


#10

I remember very little about being 18. I’d finished high school, I was going to Uni and the Tigers had just won the flag. Ah 1980…so far away.

I’m approaching 54…the Tigers have not won a flag since 1980…this has been a huge disappointment!


#11

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ajax wrote:

The more things change, the more they stay the same, Push? OK, so maybe annoying no longer applies, but otherwise?

[/quote]

How is it you know me so well?
[/quote]

Push, I’ve been reading this site since 2004, if not 2003. In that time there have been a lot of epic posters (contributors would be a better term. The forums sometimes have some of the best content on the site). You are among the legends. One of those who make this site what it is.

If you didn’t exist, T-Nation would have had to invent you.


#12

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Wrap it up.

Every. Single. Time. [/quote]
Yes, this.

But also try to bed all girls above a 7.

Every. Single. One.

tweet[/quote]

This. I have a suicidal amount of regret over the girls i never got with, but had opportunities.


#13

18 years old I was trying to nail every chick around, it wasn’t unitl I hit my 20’s that I had to inact a quality policy. Unfortunatley I hate to admit it, but a few swamp donkeys slipped through the cracks.

If you pull it out and it’s not to take a piss, wrap it no matter what, you don’t want the drip and you sure as hell don’t want to get a girl pregnant. At 18, trying to raise a family you might as well figure game over.

When I was younger I wanted a girl with big boobs, soon after I realized big boobs wasn’t all it was cut out to be too much drama. Got a girl with little boobs, a lot less drama, but then I missed the big boobies again.

I evenutally got married to a girl with little boobs and a great attitude, that cooks dinner everynight, and treats me like a king. She is the best part of me.

I told my self I wanted to buy a house by the time I was 25, I did…then I sold it and bought another.

I have traveled all over the world, for free. I have seen places most peope only dream about and got paid doing it.

Find something you like to do, and make a career out of it. It will keep you happy.


#14

I was pretty well drunk the whole time from 18 to around 23. Don’t remember too much, but it must have been fun.


#15

[quote]bullpup wrote:
18 years old I was trying to nail every chick around, it wasn’t unitl I hit my 20’s that I had to inact a quality policy. Unfortunatley I hate to admit it, but a few swamp donkeys slipped through the cracks.

If you pull it out and it’s not to take a piss, wrap it no matter what, you don’t want the drip and you sure as hell don’t want to get a girl pregnant. At 18, trying to raise a family you might as well figure game over.

When I was younger I wanted a girl with big boobs, soon after I realized big boobs wasn’t all it was cut out to be too much drama. Got a girl with little boobs, a lot less drama, but then I missed the big boobies again.

I evenutally got married to a girl with little boobs and a great attitude, that cooks dinner everynight, and treats me like a king. She is the best part of me.

I told my self I wanted to buy a house by the time I was 25, I did…then I sold it and bought another.

I have traveled all over the world, for free. I have seen places most peope only dream about and got paid doing it.

Find something you like to do, and make a career out of it. It will keep you happy.

[/quote]

I’m pretty intrigued. What is it you do exactly?


#16

When I was 18 I was just about to go off to college. I had come from a pretty shitty family and in many ways was already pretty independent. My one and only goal on my mind was “get out” and do whatever you have to do to achieve it. And I did. But id be lying if I said I was much happier. Granted, Im only 25, but Ive been around the block enough where I think I can give you some good advice

  1. Don’t go to college. The debt isn’t worth it. When I was attending the costs of colleges just started soaring and the interests rates started rising. Not worth it. See if you can cheat the system by working and going to school part time and not incurring any debt. Despite what people will tell you, the debt isn’t worth it, the higher salary you will make will not offset the loans.

  2. Go out and have fun. I am glad I made friends who were a bad influence, because they really showed me how to have fun. Lots of good memories.

  3. Broaden your experiences. Seriously, trying everything. If it sucks, no big deal, just write it off and move on. The more things you try the more information you have about yourself, and thus you will be able to make better decisions about what you want to do with your life.

  4. But, if you are already sure what you want to do, throw everything at it. Be proactive, take chances, set your self up for success!

  5. Learn about investing and financial management. See, my parents were too busy cursing me out or fighting with each other to help my sister and I prepare for life so we had a late start in this respect. When I got out on my own I quickly learned to save, never get a credit card, and think ahead. Don’t buy anything you cant afford up front in cash.

  6. Ironic to my point #5, appreciate the adults in your life who will help you and want to succeed. What I would give to have had a father that would have sat down with me to teach me things, or a mom who wasn’t too sick to spend time with an learn from her. To this day it is still painful to think about how life would have turned out if there was a consistent positive roll model in my youth and early adulthood to help me when I get stuck or make a mistake. Take advantage of your elders advice. Seriously. And appreciate the people who care about you. Their help will be invaluable to your success. Take a look at Richard Feynman’s remarks about the influence his father had on him studying physics, for example.


#17

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]bullpup wrote:
18 years old I was trying to nail every chick around, it wasn’t unitl I hit my 20’s that I had to inact a quality policy. Unfortunatley I hate to admit it, but a few swamp donkeys slipped through the cracks.

If you pull it out and it’s not to take a piss, wrap it no matter what, you don’t want the drip and you sure as hell don’t want to get a girl pregnant. At 18, trying to raise a family you might as well figure game over.

When I was younger I wanted a girl with big boobs, soon after I realized big boobs wasn’t all it was cut out to be too much drama. Got a girl with little boobs, a lot less drama, but then I missed the big boobies again.

I evenutally got married to a girl with little boobs and a great attitude, that cooks dinner everynight, and treats me like a king. She is the best part of me.

I told my self I wanted to buy a house by the time I was 25, I did…then I sold it and bought another.

I have traveled all over the world, for free. I have seen places most peope only dream about and got paid doing it.

Find something you like to do, and make a career out of it. It will keep you happy.

[/quote]

I’m pretty intrigued. What is it you do exactly?
[/quote]

O&G, Maintenance Manager for an International drilling company, I just got back in from Colombia.


#18

[quote]bullpup wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]bullpup wrote:
18 years old I was trying to nail every chick around, it wasn’t unitl I hit my 20’s that I had to inact a quality policy. Unfortunatley I hate to admit it, but a few swamp donkeys slipped through the cracks.

If you pull it out and it’s not to take a piss, wrap it no matter what, you don’t want the drip and you sure as hell don’t want to get a girl pregnant. At 18, trying to raise a family you might as well figure game over.

When I was younger I wanted a girl with big boobs, soon after I realized big boobs wasn’t all it was cut out to be too much drama. Got a girl with little boobs, a lot less drama, but then I missed the big boobies again.

I evenutally got married to a girl with little boobs and a great attitude, that cooks dinner everynight, and treats me like a king. She is the best part of me.

I told my self I wanted to buy a house by the time I was 25, I did…then I sold it and bought another.

I have traveled all over the world, for free. I have seen places most peope only dream about and got paid doing it.

Find something you like to do, and make a career out of it. It will keep you happy.

[/quote]

I’m pretty intrigued. What is it you do exactly?
[/quote]

O&G, Maintenance Manager for an International drilling company, I just got back in from Colombia.[/quote]

That’s badass, thanks for the reply.


#19

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#20

I was quiet and shy, but had the most raging hard-ons, I was convinced I had a hammer in my pants. Seriously, I was the guy in class who would pop wood at the worst possible times, thank God for Levi’s 501 jeans to keep it all smushed in. I wish I had had the balls to talk to girls more, but I overcame that once I got into college.

I was very much into school, I really loved learning.

As far as working out, playing football had me go from a chubby 150 lbs as a 16 yr old, to a less chubby and much beefier 255 lb’er 18 yr old. My best gains came during my 16-18 year old time frame.

Live it up and have fun, as this is the start of the best time of your life.