T Nation

Beijing Olympics 2008

Has anyone seen the shit that has been happening there? People are being forcibly evicted from their homes to make way for housing and road developments for the Olympic games.

For petitioning or refusing to move, people are often being badly beaten or imprisoned in so called “black prisons” which are basically run by thugs who are paid by the authorities.

Don’t think I’ll be watching the Olympics now.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Has anyone seen the shit that has been happening there? People are being forcibly evicted from their homes to make way for housing and road developments for the Olympic games.

For petitioning or refusing to move, people are often being badly beaten or imprisoned in so called “black prisons” which are basically run by thugs who are paid by the authorities.

Don’t think I’ll be watching the Olympics now.[/quote]

Got a link you’ve read?

To the Chinese, the group is everything and the individual is nothing (Communism). The voice of the group is the government.

They basically therefore regard wanting to have your own way, to live in your home, as treason to the group. So they violently treat those people that way. This is why communism cannot work except through violence and terror: what if one person doesn’t WANT to do what the group wants? In a free society, that’s fine. In group-centered societies, the individuals must be forced.

I will still definitely watch the Olympics. What am I supposed to do, protest the Olympics because people are being thrown out of their homes?

I feel terrible for these people, and it’s an awful thing to happen, but it’s not like I can write a letter to the Chinese government explaining how it shouldn’t be done, and how in retaliation to their actions I won’t watch the Olympics.

My voice means nothing, and more importantly I’m interested in what Reza and Pirros are going to bring to the table next year.

Simply not watching the Olympics isn’t going to do anything except slightly make yourself feel more righteous. It won’t get these people’s homes back, and it won’t stop the event from happening, no matter how many people you can get to listen to your cause. You might as well enjoy it.

-dizzle

Headhunter, I don’t have a link, I just saw a documentary on TV. I agree with what you are saying.

A-Dizz, I know what you mean. But I feel that boycotting the Olympics is a way of showing the Chinese government that we are not impressed. To them, the Olympics is all about showing off to the west. Yeah, a few people switching off is a small thing, but I personally think it’s the right thing to do. If everybody switched off (which is not going to happen of course) it would certainly make a difference. The more the better IMO.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Headhunter, I don’t have a link, I just saw a documentary on TV. I agree with what you are saying.

A-Dizz, I know what you mean. But I feel that boycotting the Olympics is a way of showing the Chinese government that we are not impressed. To them, the Olympics is all about showing off to the west. Yeah, a few people switching off is a small thing, but I personally think it’s the right thing to do. If everybody switched off (which is not going to happen of course) it would certainly make a difference. The more the better IMO.
[/quote]

Well that’s my point. I think we agree with eachother here but we’re just saying it differently. Basically, it would be the right thing to do if you didn’t watch it. If everyone didn’t watch, then it would obviously make a statement, but there’s no way that would ever happen.

I’ll still watch.

-dizzle

Then maybe these poor people need to do some overthrowin’ don’t they? I know it’s not that simple, but it’s their responsibility to stop their own government.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
Then maybe these poor people need to do some overthrowin’ don’t they? I know it’s not that simple, but it’s their responsibility to stop their own government.[/quote]

You must be to young to remember Tienanmen square. They tried that already, but government just ran over them.

Yet we still buy our plasitic McDonald’s toys with lead in them from them. The lead must be for flavor.

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:

My voice means nothing, and more importantly I’m interested in what Reza and Pirros are going to bring to the table next year.

pirros? u smokin’ crack son?[/quote]

I hope its a different pirros he is talking about, cuz we all know Dimas ain’t coming back.

sucks for those people, but you do know the same shit happens countryside to.

Technically they are not being thrown out of their homes. There is no private real estate here, though you can lease property from the government for long periods of time. So it’s kind of like owning, but with the understanding that you are really borrowing and that the original owner can decide to collect if and when it suits them.

And many of these of these people are just squatters. Not that living in a one place for a long time (even generations) doesn’t make it “feel” like home. But they really have no legal claim to the spot, house, etc. And sure its sad when they are forced to pack up and leave. But the real issue should be how the Chinese government compensates and goes about making these people move. Maintaining human rights and dignity should at least be attempted.

And I know often times dignity is lost and there are abuses. But in the governments defense sometimes it hard to get them to move and force is necessary. Its not really pleasant for anyone.

[quote]migrantworker wrote:
Technically they are not being thrown out of their homes. There is no private real estate here, though you can lease property from the government for long periods of time. So it’s kind of like owning, but with the understanding that you are really borrowing and that the original owner can decide to collect if and when it suits them.

And many of these of these people are just squatters. Not that living in a one place for a long time (even generations) doesn’t make it “feel” like home. But they really have no legal claim to the spot, house, etc. And sure its sad when they are forced to pack up and leave. But the real issue should be how the Chinese government compensates and goes about making these people move. Maintaining human rights and dignity should at least be attempted.

And I know often times dignity is lost and there are abuses. But in the governments defense sometimes it hard to get them to move and force is necessary. Its not really pleasant for anyone.[/quote]

Wow! I am really at a lost for words on this one…I am appalled at the sentiment and impressed with the elegance of the prose that expresses it.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
migrantworker wrote:

And I know often times dignity is lost and there are abuses. But in the governments defense sometimes it hard to get them to move and force is necessary. Its not really pleasant for anyone.

Wow! I am really at a lost for words on this one…I am appalled at the sentiment and impressed with the elegance of the prose that expresses it.[/quote]

+1

Very well written but it doesn’t change the fact that the Chinese government treats its people like shit. They care more about putting on a nice shiny front for the west than looking after their people.

That’s the commies for ya.

Probably the least of their crimes against humanity.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
That’s the commies for ya.

Probably the least of their crimes against humanity. [/quote]

They probably use the aborted fetuses of girls to prop up crooked tables and increase the adhesion of glue.
I actually wouldn’t be shocked to learn that such things are true, they can be creative in their cruelty.
At least with the Beijing thing we’ll have more folks to pose for the “Human body’s” exhibit.

Your generalizations regarding China are appalling/funny. Americans are fat MacDonald’s eating warmongering pigs and Chinese are commie second child murdering polluters with no regard for human rights.

Things are different in China, its the developing country, there are serious corruption problems and civil rights abuses.

But c’mon guys, where do you read your news about China, in an English language for profit media industry that creates stories to sell. I could also selectively read news stories in America to create almost any perception of America I chose to believe in.

Remember to take everything with a grain of salt and to temper the stereotypes and generalizations.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Yeah, a few people switching off is a small thing…
[/quote]
No. It’s not. Negative public opinion will definitely shape this event. It already has.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
AdamC wrote:
Yeah, a few people switching off is a small thing…

No. It’s not. Negative public opinion will definitely shape this event. It already has.[/quote]

Has it? Where?

Well…the fact that China’s human rights abuses are being talked about they are trying to fix their negative PR. I would say that is definitely shaping this event and their country in general.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Well…the fact that China’s human rights abuses are being talked about they are trying to fix their negative PR. I would say that is definitely shaping this event and their country in general. [/quote]

You are an optimist, that’s for sure. The Russians had a way of dealing with negative PR too. They reduced the population of loud dissenters. It worked too. I don’t have faith in the Chinese to be any better. The common man’s life doesn’t seem to mean much to the elites. Besides, there’s plenty of them.