Behind the Neck Pressing the Squat

Sometimes when im about to fail the last rep I sort of relieve some of the weight off my legs by pushing the bar up with my hands like a behind the neck press. Is there any danger to doing this and are there any other people that do the same thing lol

uhh you shouldn’t be able to even budge a squatting weight

I actually do that too when it feels like I might not make it back up. It does seem to make the rep feel a little bit easier, and it doesn’t feel like it’s going to bother my shoulders any time soon, so I don’t see a reason not to.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
uhh you shouldn’t be able to even budge a squatting weight[/quote]

I think he means just pressing upwards, not actually moving the bar. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

[quote]paradox321 wrote:
schultzie wrote:
uhh you shouldn’t be able to even budge a squatting weight

I think he means just pressing upwards, not actually moving the bar. Correct me if I’m wrong though.[/quote]

yes thats what i meant, i thought that would be pretty obvious

I was wondering if it could lead to a shoulder injury but so far so good for me as well so meh

Yes it can lead to injury…you can force the bar over your head, or push it back just enough to where it falls off your back and hurts your spotter

I Dont think it comes even close to budging off my traps, it just seems to relieve abit of the pressure off. I dont feel im even close to budging a 200+lb behind the neck press haha

There is a reason why most people dont push the bar upwards. That should be all the reason you need to try and stop doing that :slight_smile:

It isn’t actually any heavier/lighter on your hips, it just feels that way because you have more/less pressure down on your traps. Now that you are aware of that, it might be easier to make that last rep even though it feels heavy :smiley:

Yep I do that too.

btw… what are u doing a highbar olympic squat??? I ask because doing a BTN press with the low bar… thats kinda hard if not outright dangerous.

just clearing things up. People get those 2 types mixed up in this Forum often.

im doing highbar olympic squat, iv yet to try the lowbar,

it does make sense that it wouldnt relieve any pressure from the legs, but it feels like it helps alot for some reason :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]believedat wrote:
it does make sense that it wouldnt relieve any pressure from the legs, but it feels like it helps alot for some reason :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

It’s all in your mind (and your traps).

Don’t they teach physics in high school anymore?

Your squat technique sucks. Get a decent coach to fix it or post a video on here for some guidance.

Even without seeing a video I can already tell you that you are not keeping your upper body tight. Shoulder blades should be pinched together and pulled down as hard as possible. Elbows should be under the bar. Hands should be squeezing the bar like it owes you money. Each rep should start with a big breath of air, which is held in your chest and belly throughout the rep.

That’s about as far as I can go without seeing something.

I wouldn’t think its too dangerous given that many weightlifting coaches advocate sots presses (behind the neck snatch-grip presses in full squat position) and the fact that you’re not actually moving the bar from this position. It sounds more like a cue for you to drive hard and stay tight in the hole than a problem or risk.

Not dangerous, but it is stupid. If anything, you should be pulling the weight DOWN on your shoulders to keep your back tight, as discussed in another thread.

ok thanks for the help everyone, i will stop doing it from now on, I might be able to post a video next week, as for now i will take everyones advice, thanks again

[quote]believedat wrote:
im doing highbar olympic squat, … [/quote]

yep thats what I thought.

I don’t see the same thing happening with a box squat.

p.s remember, try both ways of pushing/pressing on the bar and choose the one that works best for you.