T Nation

Behind-the-Neck Press: Why and How?

Yes, I was just wondering.

Love program designing

I feel your pain. I’ve had serious injury to my thumb and hand as well. What really helped me was using Fat Gripz. If your wrist is hurting they help relieve the pressure on it because of the better position. Using those and keeping the PBN weight low (just a few sets of 15-20 reps with just the barbell) gave me enough shoulder work while also rebuilding strength in my wrist.
The Fat Gripz make it possible to change your thumb position more so you can find the least painfull grip. Also they force you to keep your elbows in the right position for the PBN.

Had surgery done last week, should be back fully operational next week hopefully, didn’t really think of fat gripz back then. Keeping a wide grip helped a ton on itself by shifting the weight towards the outside of the hand, the weights I had to use on the BTN press were still incredibly light (somewhere around 130lbs for a couple reps my wrist would start to feel heavy, while the backoffs at lighter weights were ok). Also, a wide reverse grip bench worked fine, with very light weights too. And dips on a parallel bar.

@Paul_Carter, while I’m at it, when doing the BTN press standing should I keep my neck a bit forward all the time during the reps? I usually just keep my neck forward that tiny bit necessary to lower the bar behind the head to ear level, but I’ve seen people keeping it more forward all the time

Honestly it doesn’t matter. So long as you’re not banging the bar into your head whatever you do will work. :slight_smile: