Behind Neck Shoulder Press

Hello
in behind neck shoulder press, what should be the correct position for elbow. is it should be straight down under bar or anythink else?
thank you

elbow should always be under the bar.

Ditto. Frequently people let their elbows come forward at the start of the lift… resist the temptation.

thank you

Just an opinion on these, but I personally stay as far away from behind the neck shoulder press as possible.
I think they are much too hard on the rotator and the shoulders can eaisly be developed with either dumbell presses or presses from the front only coming down to about the bottom of the ear.
Just something to consider if you want to continue lifting for many years to come.
I used to have a slight rotator issue and dropped these from my lifting and have had no further problems over the years.
See Ya

i will try this .
thank you

BtN presses and pulldowns have their place but are considered dangerous for the whole shoulder girdle. I don’t consider them worth the risk in most cases. If you want to do them keep the weight light, widen your grip, and stop at the middle of the back of your head. If your shoulder flexibility isn’t up to par, then get that handled first.

I have found BHNPs to have SAVED my shoulders. You just have to develop good flexibility. Most people have shoulders that round forward. The shoulder blades must be brought back into alignment before doing the exercise. Doing BHNPs with your shoulder joint forward is asking for trouble.

You can practice with a broomstick and 2 mirrors that are at right angles to each other. Facing into a corner will allow you to see your arm position out of the corner of your eyes.

i think the main cause is lack of shoulder flexibility and/or too much weight being used.

Use lighter weight if needed and only go as far as your flexibilty goes.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:
i think the main cause is lack of shoulder flexibility and/or too much weight being used.

Use lighter weight if needed and only go as far as your flexibilty goes. [/quote]

Whats a good indicator that your flexibility is diminishing? I do behind the neck presses and I wonder how i should tell if this starts to become a problem

I think that going behind the neck is a bad idea for your shoulder health, too. I press to the front; for depth, I tilt my head back so that I’m looking up at the bar, a little, and I try to touch the bar to my chin. I hope that description makes sense.

I have lots of shoulder problems, too, with doing my benching movements [actually I have fewer problems now that I stop the bar an inch or two above my chest], but I’ve never had problems with my shoulders on overhead press doing it like this.